Unit 67 ~ Moose Tag

S

Stryker

Last week I found out that I drew the 1 non-resident LE late season rifle elk tag in Utah's famed Monroe Unit and yesterday I got a Unit 67 Moose Rifle tag in the mail. After 20 years of applying for a Colorado Moose tag I has almost given up hope!

Between work, guiding and hunting for myself it is going to be a great, yet busy, year...

Any advise for the 67 Moose tag would be very appreciate.

Last year a 50" bull was killed by an archery hunter in the unit, and I know of several very good bulls that were seen on a consistent basis during the 1st and 2nd rifle seasons.

Hopefully I can connect with some of the unit 67 Archery and Muzzle loader hunters this year who can keep me informed of any good bulls they come across within the unit.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your assistance.

When is your moose season? I'll be in 67 during 2nd and 3rd rifle helping my nephew and brother chase bucks.

Rifle moose in 67, congratulations! That time of year the bulls are on the move. One could move in from 66 or 76 or one that was spotted in 67 during archery could be long gone by rifle. You need to search all the drainages flowing out of the La Garitas and with time and effort you'll turn one up. Hope you have the whole season to hunt! Best of luck!

I've hunted 67 for the past 9 years...lots of moose on the drainages coming down from the high country in the willows...during the fall 2013 season I saw a good 50" moose in the Stewart basin with white socks...maybe the archer last season got him...wish they would let NR hunt there...big animals, better do your push ups...good luck...

I hunt elk in La Garita and always see nice bulls. Last year I saw 7 different cows and one real nice bull and another younger one that wouldn't leave me alone. I have never applied for that tag but the moose are there. Good luck.

For Moose I believe you could change your method of take if you wanted. Meaning if you wanted to hunt archery or muzzy you could. You just have to do it before the seasons begin. Good luck and it is my dream tag !! Tough to draw when you see how many get it with 3 and 2 . Weighted points mean nothing. It is the number they give you before the draw that is key!!

Thanks Guys, I have been pouring over the maps and talking to everyone I know about the hunt. It is going to be a really long 4-months.

In looking at the DOW statistics page it lists last years 50+ bull killed with a bow in California Creek... I have never heard of a California Creek in Unit 67??? Am I missing something??

I am thinking that it must have been in Cochetopa Creek..

I do know that last year during first rifle elk season there was a really big bull in the top of Pauline Creek drainage in what alot of people refer to as the Stewart Peak Bowl - this may be the four white socks bull, and if so he apparently was not the bull killed by the archery hunter.

Yea your missing the LAT/LONG coordinates right in the dow stats page. Don't know about it being called Cali creek, but the coordinates have it upstream of Willow Park and west of Pauline drainage. But that was last year and it don't mean a thing this year.

Thanks Chindits.. I think we were able to get the locations of the last two moose kills pinned down, but then again your are correct that it may not mean alot this year?

Anyway ~ just a reminder for those of you archery and muzzle loader hunters in Unit 67 this month to let me know if you see any Bull Moose worth taking a closer look at.

We have spotted a couple of 44 - 48 inch bulls, but are still looking around as we get ready for the Oct. 1st opener.

Thanks Again..

Stryer

Just came out of Stewart creek backpack muzzy hunting for deer. Weather ran us off the top.Went from organ to san luis peak and over to nutras creek. Saw a few small bulls but nothing big. Staying in gunnison tonight, does anyone have any advise for somewhere else to try?? Thanks

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom