Unit 6b elk Tag?

R

rdd627

I got the early bull 6b muzzleloader tag this year and a desert deer dag. however, dont know to much about 6b bulls or the area. does anyone have any tips out there that might help. i know that 6b doesent produce that many giants but i would like to kill a nice bull, i mean dang, it took 6 years to draw the tag for crying out loud! anyways tc muzzleloaders are great.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-07-08 AT 01:03PM (MST)[p]How much experience do you have with elk in general? Have you been in the unit at all to at least drive the roads or scout a little?

The truth of the matter is that there are lots of good 275-325 class bulls in that unit. There are also bulls over 375 in there but you have to really do your homework and hunt hard or get lucky to come across something like that.

I'm generally a lot more willing to help someone that shows a bit of initiative on their own. Lots of folks do the quick e scout routine and I really don't like to give out a whole lot of info anymore on the sites. PM me and I can point you in the right direction if you really have no clue where to start. I have an archery cow tag there this year, and have harvested a bull there in years past.

Here are some general notes to keep in mind when hunting:

1. Get out of camp way before the sun comes up. Stay in your hunting area until you just can't see your sites anymore. Even if you're not shooting you'll be "in" the elk.

2. Always walk into the wind or across it. Never walk downwind while still hunting.

3. Pause often to look around, listen, and smell. Don't just walk like you're just going from point A to point B.

4. The rut should be in full swing. If you're out away from the roads a bit and you are paying attention you should easily hear or see elk.

Also, the report from the Game and Fish Website is plenty to get started on finding some elk.

Good Luck,

Nick

Heat, you nailed it right on. I'm kinda new to this forum thing. One of my huntin' buddies turned me on to it a few months ago and I just sat back and did alot of reading and learning and then I joined.
I have come to learn that what Heat says, is pretty solid advice. I'm a third generation native and I come from a long line of AZ hunters. I'm pretty well educated on AZ wildlie, their habitat and behaviors. All though I do not claim and never will claim to know everything about big game hunting in AZ. I still do maintain a fairly solid knowledge about it.
Keep up the good instruction Heat.

THX, Eric

10-4 heat! that was a lot of info you gave there, thanks for the time. i lived in flag for a couple years and know 6b as far as land marks roads and i know where most people hunt during archery, Woody mtn! however never had a tag in 6b, just unit seven ect. as far as scouting im afraid im going to do a quick e this year due to work, gas etc. maybe all go twice or so. and check some areas out that i like. not sure how to pm just got on today.

The little icons next to the user's handle at the top of each post will allow you to send a PM.

Nick

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom