Unit 7, 8

J

johnbang

Me and my father are looking at doing a cow elk muzzloder hunt in unit 7,8,9, 191 in 2008 anyone know if this is a good unit or good spots to start looking, we live in Mn and can not do alot of scouting, just a few days before hand. Thanks

I've hunted mulies for several years in unit 7 around Bull Mountain. I've seen several cows taken over the years during rifle season and I've seen some small herds.

Bull Mountain area is fairly crowded with orange in 3rd and 4th rifle, don't know about muzzie season though.

I don't think there are tremendous herds in that area, but I've seen some.

Another place to check is to come in from the Wyoming border on the north side of unit 7. I can't remember the name of the road, but there's some nice country in there...lots of moose, some elk and deer.

Good luck...PM me if you want more specifics and I'll share what I know.

Scott

Tryed to PM ya no mail back? Anyone else have any info on these units, or 19, 191 because they are included in this tag! We drew them so now is crunch time!

I am trying to remember a general spot. It has been a long time since I was in there. Can't you go into the Rawah area (does that fall in there).

I think the Upper Cherokee Park area is in unit 8.We saw a few elk in there when deer hunting a couple years ago.Saw lots of elk sign,but only a few animals and no bulls only cows and calves.

My brother has neighbors that muzzel hunt that area every year for steaks and do well. I would check out the west side of the the wilderness area. They don't hunt the wilderness as the 4-wheel back in to set up up camp and then hike from there.

Yes the Rawah is in 7, If you are ambitious and energetic you can take the long hikes in from the east side, I believe there are 2 or 3 trail heads, or if you have a decent 4wd you can come in from the north on one of the forest roads and get to within a mile or so of the wilderness, problem is that it is a really steep drop down/up the following the stream. once you get in there it is nice country in and around shipmans park, if you hunt hard you should at least see some elk in/around shipmans park.
That area north of the wilderness on the west side of unit 7 has some elk and deer in it with a fair amount of hunters too
:-( so plan on company over there.
Best of luck!

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Mntman - Am I right in my thinking that the land East of the wilderness is long to get in (few roads). The elk then migrated west as the summer progressed. I haven't been in that part in over 20 years. We used to camp up in there 3 -4 times a summer when I lived in ft collins.

tim, yeah, the east side of the rawah wilderness takes awhile to get to by road only 2 ways to get in either follow 14? up the poudre canyon and then hang a right at chambers or go up through wyoming and come back down through woods landing. that road that runs north and south on the east side of rawah runs through that long wide valley that starts up near chambers then widens out the closer you get to the wy-co border. I'm not sure but the elk more than likely winter in that valley and even possibly in shipmans? (not sure on shipman's park) and then a lot head back west up into the wilderness for summer.

I hunted there 2nd season 3 years ago as a leftover. I did get a raghorn but that's the only elk I seen. That was north of shipmans park in all the drainages that transitions the timber into the valley.

During the ML hunt it would probably still be a good bet to try these area's not really pressured yet and there was good sign in there. Plus it isn't that far to a road so you can cover a lot of ground by walking yet never be to far from a road or trail to get your elk out if you are up in the years ;-)

also there is a small 2 track that heads up into the hills on the east side of the valley up near the buffalo ranch and there was good sign in there too but after 1st rifle they were pushed out of there (sorry, I can't find my map for that part of the unit) I seen a few gut piles in there too, so I would definately try to find that road and check it out.

I never scouted the area but may want to look over in the bald mnt area in unit 8.

Best of luck
Mntman

LAST EDITED ON Jun-23-08 AT 10:09AM (MST)[p]forgot, which part of minnesota you from? I am from Hill City, just south of Grand Rapids, now live in CO.

Like Elkcrzy just said I'd go to the wilderness too, but it sounds like your dad may be older and being from 1500' in elevation and arriving 2 days prior don't know how "fun" it would be for you in the wilderness?

my parents still live there and dad comes out every year to hunt deer/elk, he is 60 and in really good shape for his age. I have tried to get him backpack into the wilderness's and hunt but he feels like that isn't a good idea so we usually hunt from base camp and go in 2-5 miles a day where we hunt for elk, he just takes it real slow.

Just found my map take a look up bull mnt road on the east side of the valley and check out the blm lands.
Mntman

Thanks for all the info! I am from St cloud MN, my dad is mid 50's but in great shape also, as for he is a Iron worker and has worked hard out in the elements for all of his life! we have been in the area before so i am pretty sure I know were you are talking about! I am pretty young so I do the leg work and bring dad in latter if I get into some! Killed a ton of white tail bucks in my day but never have killed a elk, we cow hunt because of cost and just starting to figure this elk thing out, may try to draw a bull tag next year! Thanks all! Keep the tips comming if you have nay more! Thanks!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom