Unit 70

tcinkgm

Hoping for some info on unit 70, not specifics but general info. I've hunted 711/71 for OTC elk but might have enough points to draw a third season deer tag in 2015 in unit 70. I'll be 60 by the time I could draw 711 4th season and don't need to kill a book buck but would love to at least know there is a chance at seeing a mature deer.

My question is if I buy an OTC or cow tag for this fall to try to get a feel for if it is something I want to do for next year combo, is the area I would hunt elk the same as deer for that third season? My partner isn't the most mobile with age so I thought this year might be a good chance to get out hunting and check out some new country and hopefully fill the freezer with some elk.

Is this a crazy thought? Is the hunter density crazy because of the OTC tags? Do most guys road hunt like further south? I see there are a few cow tags for 3rd season, is that a reasonable chance to fill with some hiking? Is the weather likely to limit access? Is it like 71/711 where there are some elk lower but the bulk really high until snow pushes them down?

Any help would be appreciated.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-24-14 AT 07:12AM (MST)[p] 3RD SEASON BUCK RIFLE FOR THE NON RES. UNIT 70 = 6 POINTS TO BE 100% DRAW FOR 2013. THERE WERE 529 APPS. FOR JUST 97 TAGS, 2015 ODDS WILL NOT BE THAT GOOD AS POINT CREEP WILL GO UP. JUST THE FACTS.........(RES. OR NON RES????).................YD.

Good luck, I've been hunting here for the last 16 years and the deer numbers are down and the hunter numbers are getting higher and higher every year.
Last year was the worst I have ever seen with the utv/atv guys that have absolutely no regard for keeping them on roads where they belong I used to walk into a couple of canyons off the beaten path and find a few cows and small bulls on a consistent basis but that is not even the case now.
Don't get me wrong there are still animals there but it is very frustrating at times.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom