Unit 71 hunting pressure

leonard

Plan on making a change to different game unit to 71 for the 2nd season rifle this fall. It shows on the CDOW website that 1115 elk hunters were in unit 71 for the 2nd season, which seems like heavy pressure. But does anyone know what overall pressure is for this unit for hunters willing to climb high and hunt a couple miles away from the road? Plan on hunting around Rico.

Yep, it is one of the most heavily hunted units in the state. On the western 1/2 of the unit, the animals have lots of private they can move to, so they do. In the Rico area, not as much private. They are there somewhere. Just have to hunt the steepest, nastiest places. Good luck.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I live near 71. For second rifle I thought elk were sold otc. Unless your hunting cow. If so I still thought that unit was combined with 711, & 70. May be wrong don't go off what I say. Check regs game book. But regardless there are tons of hunters hunting both deer and elk in 71 not just 2nd rifle, but all the time. Most that I've noticed start from Dolores head up the Dolores/Norwood road. A lot of them road hunt. One of the few places I've been that you can. Pressure helps that. Not at all uncommon to see a guy gutting an elk or deer from the road. Rico's a different story. Most public land is up and then up some more. I would imagine that if you hunt public near Rico. You will see hunters parked in the same spots you plan on hunting. You may even walk past them on a trail. But generally more elk than hunters up there. Should still be bugling the first part of that season too. Around here seems like rut runs from Archery though midway into second rifle. So locating them should be fairly easy if you are willing to hike in a bit. However if you are hunting for a bull. Most of the good ones (by good I mean Colorado good 5x5,5x6,6x6, rarely a 300 class but not impossible, again hike way back in for a big one) are killed out in arch, muz, 1st rif. seasons. But its hunting so you never know. Best of luck!

Elkcrackhead - Yes, I mean a OTC 2nd season. I figured the hunter pressure would be heavy, but hopefully most are road hunters. About 12 years ago I worked on a pipeline project along the Dolores/Norwood road and seen multiple groups of elk being pushed back and forth across the road, so shooting one could be possible. That would involve too much luck for myself. Have you seen many bear in 71? I bought a bear tag also. I might try unit 711 in more of the oakbrush country. I hunted 711 about 6 years ago and seen three large bears in two days, and their sign was everywhere. It almost was kind of spooky with me only carrying a bow. Good luck this fall. Leonard

Leonard,
Yes, tons of bear, in 71, and 711. As you probably know, down low near Dolores (up to the county line). The D&N road is the dividing line for 71 & 711. There have been 2 bears that I have heard of coming in to the town of Dolores. Since the start of the month. One of them was a boar about 500 pounds. DOW had to shoot it with sandbags to get it out of somebody's yard. I've seen some really pretty bears this year from jet black, to reddish, and one that I thought was a small elk until I got closer. It was a real pretty blonde color with a dark chocolate head, legs and belly. Sound like an elk? About four years ago I shot a small one near Rocky Point (check your forest map). I had just packed out a bull and was heading home. This little guy ran in front of me on the road. So I piled out my truck and chased him 25 yards or so til he went up a tree. Made the bull look pretty big laying next to it in the bed. I happened to see four on one hillside (no cubs) just above the Buckhorn Lodge on the 4th of July weekend. Last year I heard of a lot being tagged on the Glade. My best luck has come from hunting over freshly killed elk or deer gut piles (perfectly legal). Either for myself or while guiding. But I would think on a year like this. Bagging one should be obtainable. No kidding.I would pack a firearm. Spooky becomes a reality when bear hunting. I have been charged twice. The first time I was preseason scouting for guiding season on a private ranch. I never saw him but I heard him coming after me I ran straight down a steep hill jumping brush like an olympiad. The second time I too was bow hunting without a sidearm.
I know how hard it is to walk backwards at full draw. After 3 little 20 yard charges he lost interest. But my wife didn't enjoy laundry that week. By the way both in 711. People say only one in a hundred or so, are aggressive. But the bears I have encountered have never heard of those odds.
So good luck and be careful!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom