unit 73 wyo. antelope

freedomrocks

Hello Fellow MMs

I have just one question, I drew a unit 73 antelope tag this year, i am going to hunt out of my pick up and stay in my 23 ft travel trailer. Any way West of casper on highway 20 about 10 miles out, going north from there is a road 125 or it is called 33 mile road on map quest, Is this a maintained gravel road that i can pull my trailer on???? I have never hunted Wyoming before or been on that road, I have heard the mud can get ugly. Any advise or ideas on a good place to camp would be great, Thank you,, Freemomrocks

I have hunted in 73 a few times and YES Rd 125 is also called Bucknum Rd and goes up to tie in with Rd 110 coming from the east and then it stays 33 Mile road and Rd 110. I t is a good road till it either rains or snows then melts, then all hell breaks loose....very nasty gooey gumbo muddy road.
It has been about three years now since we drove up thru there but there are a couple of places to park a trailer. When you get up to jct of RD 113 "Wild Horse Trail" on the east go to the left and stay on 33 Mile Rd. There were a few places along there to put a trailer too. The farther you get to the west the road gets somewhat bad but driveable or it was then.
That 33 Mile rd comes back west and then south and comes out at Waltman on Hwy 25.

There are some roads that cut off that will get you towards the middle of that large area, but then some are dead end or come to private land. If you have a good GPS w/ Wyoming chip you would be better off.
The first time we hunted 73 Lope which is also Deer 34, we had both tags. My buddy got his very first Lope closer to Hwy 25 by Powder River and later I got mine way up in the n/e corner of unit came in from Hwy 25/87 south of Kaycee & Rd 115 "Smokey Gap Rd". I think there was a place to camp just out on 125 from Hwy 25 but might have changed by now I don't know.

Have fun and be careful of where you go in bad weather. When you get to the top of the 33 Mile Rd that goes west and along that main road that is the northern edge of UNIT 73. Walk off the road to the edge and look north at those Red Rock Formations...beautiful site.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-15 AT 06:13AM (MST)[p]>I have hunted in 73 a
>few times and YES Rd
>125 is also called Bucknum
>Rd and goes up to
>tie in with Rd 110
>coming from the east and
>then it stays 33 Mile
>road and Rd 110.
>I t is a good
>road till it either rains
>or snows then melts, then
>all hell breaks loose....very nasty
>gooey gumbo muddy road.
>It has been about three years
>now since we drove up
>thru there but there are
>a couple of places to
>park a trailer. When
>you get up to jct
>of RD 113 "Wild Horse
>Trail" on the east go
>to the left and stay
>on 33 Mile Rd. There
>were a few places along
>there to put a trailer
>too. The farther you
>get to the west the
>road gets somewhat bad but
>driveable or it was then.
>
>That 33 Mile rd comes back
>west and then south and
>comes out at Waltman on
>Hwy 25.
>
>There are some roads that cut
>off that will get you
>towards the middle of that
>large area, but then some
>are dead end or come
>to private land. If
>you have a good GPS
>w/ Wyoming chip you would
>be better off.
>The first time we hunted 73
>Lope which is also Deer
>34, we had both tags.
> My buddy got his
>very first Lope closer to
>Hwy 25 by Powder River
>and later I got mine
>way up in the n/e
>corner of unit came in
>from Hwy 25/87 south of
>Kaycee & Rd 115 "Smokey
>Gap Rd". I think
>there was a place to
>camp just out on 125
>from Hwy 25 but might
>have changed by now I
>don't know.
>
>Have fun and be careful of
>where you go in bad
>weather. When you get
>to the top of the
>33 Mile Rd that goes
>west and along that main
>road that is the northern
>edge of UNIT 73.
>Walk off the road to
>the edge and look north
>at those Red Rock Formations...beautiful
>site.
>
>Brian
>http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

I've lived here 50 yrs and have never heard of Hwy 25 by Powder River.

Bucknum Road is paved for quite a few miles. Camp on any BLM right off pavement.

Thanks for the great info, does road 125 stay paved until you get to the road,, 110 intersection,, sorry for the petty questions, i live 1100 miles from the unit,, and any info helps on learning a new area ,,,, Freedomrocks

Perfect, i am not sure its the best area in the unit but its a place to start, unless someone wants give me a little advice . feel free to P.M. me. B.T.W i will be hunting solo. Thanks Freedomrocks

The best advise anyone can give is to not be to jumpy on the trigger. Go look at the 100's of bucks you will find. You will know right away on a good buck he just has everything and is very different then the average bucks you will find.

If the weather comes in you will want to keep the travel trailer close to the paved road. Be prepared to see antelope everywhere, just take your time and enjoy the hunt, and play it safe.

JM77....my mistake it is 26/20 small print on map by Powder River.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom