UNIT 74X

WAPITI39

All

I am new to this forum but new new to hunting by any means, i just want to say how great I think this is to have a Idaho specific group. I thought I would post my first question in regards to Unti 74 X which covers a small portion of both units 74 and 75, it appears the 74X unit is primarily around the small town of Grace, Id. My wife and myself both drew this tag and it is a January of 09 hunt for a cow Elk. we are very excited to get the oppurtunitty to possibly add some additional meat in the freezer for the winter. I am most certainly not expecting someone to tell me where to stand and shoot an eElk my any menas, trust me when I tell you I know all about putting in the wokr to make a hunt pan out for you. I have purchased several maps and done some scouting VIA google earth for this area. I also plan on speaking with the local Biologist when the time is closer and making some drives to the area before the season to speka with folks and put in some ground work. My main concern and what I was hoping someone could possibly give some suggestion to is the question of when do the Elk generally mograte out of the Mountains and into the Agricultural areas that are in this particular Unit? Obviously it is dependant on Snow fall and I assume they do so every year since this is a Extra tag drawI would think they are needing some help in controlling the damage from the wintering Elk on the Fields? I am curious if anyone has ever hunted this tag and whether or not they generally all congregate in a certain portion of this unit? Thank you in advance for any suggestions or experiences you would be willing to share with me.

I think its a "new" hunt? Short range weapons only and it looks like all private ground.

So the key will be knocking on doors to get permission. If the elk are depredating hay stacks you won't have too much problem getting on a property.

Are you from that area or from Idaho? Being a resident would help your case. I suggest getting up there now and looking the place over, find ranches with hayyards and start knocking on doors.

Thank you for your response, that is the same train of thought I was having in regards to the haystacks and the farmers and renchers willingness to give permission if asked early prior to the pressure. I am from Idaho and hunt extensively throughout the year. I just have not spent much time in that portion of idaho or hunted Elk in January. :) Thank you again.

I think they killed some elk on this hunt last year. The weather had them pushed down to the haystack.

There is alot of elk in that area, but the hunt will be totally weather dependent.

Are you going to use a bow, muzz or a shotgun?

I will be using a bow and so will my wife. we will probably bring the shotguns just in case we decide it would be better to fill the tags with, I think the challenge of the Bow would make it a more enjoyable hunt. I noticed a large section of access yes proprty in this region however, we all know that Elk will generally return to the same general area to winter and I am unsure if this area within the access yes would be there destination?

IDHUNTER
I noticed you mention they killed some Elk last year? do you know some hunters that particpated in thus hunt last year at the haystack?

No, I know a landowner who watched them get killed.

I just can't figure out without a map if the hunt area you drew encompasses his property-I don't know what hunt was going on last year but it was also in Jan. so probably the same hunt.

I am also not familiar with what access yes property is in that area. Have not looked at the list/map for some time.

The elk are on my friends place (or right above it) from November until spring green up, so yes, they go back to familiar ground each year.

very cool, I am glad to hear they should be in the area if weather permits. tell your friend if he needs any removed you know a willing participant :) Thank you for your time and responses, I am looking forward to his hunt with my wife, it could potentially be both of our first Bow kills for an Elk.

Well, if you can figure out if "Bench Lago" road, straight east of Niter, is in your unit I'm sure something can be worked out-since you're from Idaho and hunting with the wife, you must be o.k.

If his place is in your unit there is probably a decent chance at one with a bow, as his property runs up to the forest boundary and there is some cover between the end of the cropland and the beginning of the NF.

Personally I would go for a meat hunt and shotgun/muzz one.

Look at a map and let me know.

Well first thanks for thinking I am OK :) I always hunt with the wife, she is a great hunting partner and much better shot than myself. Anyways I looked on some maps and google earth and the area you are talking about is actually within the boundaries of my hunt. That would be great to know a little about the area I am going to other than studyinh maps and taking a couple of trips there this late fall. And dont get me wrong we would love to shoot one with a bow, but if it comes down to the shotgun will be in the truck to help secure the meat for the winter. thats the main reason behind the tag for sure. :) every hunt truly turns into a meat hunt before its closed.:)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom