Unit 76 2nd Rifle Bull

buckskol14

Looking for any insights on Unit 76. More specifically, wondering what to expect in terms of elk movement with the lack of weather. With the unit being higher than the majority of the state, I am curious as to what tendencies herds will have with little to no snow up high.

Our group has three tags, each tag holder is in their 60’s with sons to boot (me being one of the boys). Historically our group has spent most of our time in CO in unit 61, but due to The Creep, the ol’ Boys wanted to cash in before they turned 100. They are all in decent shape but being realistic, we know from the maps and research, this unit is physically demanding.

In terms of elevation, where should we be focusing our efforts? The gut says go high but we know that elk will be scattered high and low regardless. The plan is to hike as much as needed but will be camping out of wall tents with no horses, so deep dives into the mountains will be limited to day trips. Not looking for “the spot”, as those don’t occur in nature. But any generalized tips or advice for the area would be appreciated.

Side note, is the bar in Creede where Robert Ford was shot still around? Big history nut.

There's not a lot of tent saloons around anymore, and that's a problem. Can you imagine the hunter's efficiency if there was some booze and burgers available in the high country?

There's not a lot of tent saloons around anymore, and that's a problem. Can you imagine the hunter's efficiency if there was some booze and burgers available in the high country?
Absolute game changer. No marketing needed, just catch the scent in the wind like Mother Nature intended. Might run into problems with hunters stumbling into random camps looking for double bacon and yellow bellies

I am sure others saw the Burrito Food Truck on the side of the road in Unit 22 a few years back off of Route 5, an hour from civilization. Hit that up a few times midday!

I have hunted this unit 1st season but never 2nd. I would split up and move around until you find them. Not sure if there has been much if any snow but I think elk could be found in various spots from the valley floor all the way up to the way high country. There are literally 100's of spots to hunt in this unit. The 2 bulls I have killed in this unit were both shot in spots that were about a 20 minute walk from the truck, so don't think you need to get way back in to find elk.

I am sure others saw the Burrito Food Truck on the side of the road in Unit 22 a few years back off of Route 5, an hour from civilization. Hit that up a few times midday!
That thing was always up there year round. Heck at one point there was the pink pig and 3 food trucks in 22… Oil and gas…

Just wrapped up a 3rd season hunt here and the summer like weather I'm sure didn't help anything. 50+ degrees every day we were there. First three days saw nothing but lots of cow hunters, moose, and bighorn sheep. Finally saw a bull with some cows on the morning of day 4 but he quickly gave us the slip. Back earlier the next morning and found them again not too far away and was able to kill the bull, a raghorn 4 point. Only the second elk we'd heard of taken all week. We found this bull at roughly 11,500'. Didn't sound like anyone was seeing elk in the lower country.

Update from October. Two of the three hunters filled their tags, but unfortunately, my dad had to eat his 17 points. Saw moose every day in pretty much every area we hunted and a few sheep on the western side of the unit. The majority of the elk stayed high with brief moments of activity in conjunction with some weather at the beginning of the season. However, it warmed up and everyone went right back up the hill. Overall, it was an amazing time in the high country!

IMG_2813.JPG

IMG_2934.JPG

IMG_2796.jpg

IMG_2709.jpg

Thanks for the report! Sorry to hear your Pops didn’t get to seal the deal, but sounds like fun regardless. Also that is a booner Shiras if I have ever seen one!

As that old Meatloaf song goes, '2 out of 3 ain't bad!"

Seriously, a couple of nice bulls and 2 out of 3 looks good to me!

Congrats.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom