Unit 76 ant

D

DougW

guys-what's the deal with this unit, I presume this includes the Copper Mt. area, but there is a lot of lower desert area. Few tags, surrounded by units well known for big bucks. No residents apply though, typically. Is private land the issue? Still that big ranch on the west end that restricts access? I've never looked into this but wonder if I should have. I can't help but suspect there are some big goats in there.

Hunted a neighboring unit last year, not many goats, a few but not many. Might have been just a bad year. Access was tricky too.

76 is good, and Im not sure what you mean when you say no residents apply for it? I've always thought that 76 wasnt all that easy to draw. I prefer 83, but lately 76 seems to be producing better quality bucks than 83. 76 has lots of antelope and quite a bit of public land and a fair amount of private that is walk-in or HMA. Some landowners will even let you hunt. I had a 76-2 leftover tag last year and killed what is probably the most unique and freakish "non typical" antelope I have ever seen. Also killed my first antelope in area 76 quite a few years ago. It may not be known as a premium area but I think you would have a quality hunt.

Thanks WY. Looks like drawing odds last year for a resident were 50%. Way back about 15 years ago, we had deer tags up there and I saw a lot of andelope on the east end of this unit. I can't help but wonder if this unit has slipped through the cracks in the forums and mags, but perhaps that is their intent.

Did you hunt on that big ranch on the west side of the unit last year...it was owned by a lady in Thermop years ago and access used to be difficult, for deer anyways.

I think you'll find that in Wyoming there are so many antelope that there are in fact areas that produce big bucks every year but aren't any of the areas "talked" about on the internet or in magazines etc. I do a lot of driving in areas like these for work and Im always looking at antelope and I feel confident in saying that I see at least one B&C buck every year and not in Natrona or Carbon county where all the "hyped" areas are. But thats ok I'd just as soon keep my favorite areas on the down low and not have the draw odds get horribly bad. Im not sure which ranch you are referring to but I did not hunt it. If you did draw a 76 type 1 tag you really dont need to hunt private property but when it comes to antelope more land owners are willing to give permission it seems.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom