Unit 76

BowHuntr

Don't have a tag, but just wanted to post about my experience over the past couple of months.

I have been doing some consulting work between Soda Springs and Thayne, WY over the past couple of months. Have spent over 20 days out and about, putting a ton of miles in on foot in some beautiful elk and deer country.

I am completely shocked by the lack of animals I have seen. Have only seen a handful of deer. Have not seen an elk, have not jumped any elk...nothing! Great habitat, lots of water. Not much sign either. A little bit here and there.

Just wondering from people that are familiar with the area. Whats the deal? I still can't get over it. All that great habitat, and nothing in it.

I've elk hunted that area for years. I never have a problem finding elk, but am continually astounded with the lack of deer! I don't understand it either.

I've been seeing more deer lately surprisingly. But not nearly what you should for the square mileage. I think that the southern part of the state has some awesome country, but some really mismanaged units.

Not being from Idaho, I just wasn't sure what the issue was, or currently is.

I just could not believe in all the miles I put on, I did not see one elk or jump any either. Incredible elk country too.

Yup! It sucks! All that nice habitat and no animals, but fish and game will tell ya the buck to doe ratio is great. I don't know what is worse, the people that think they need to hunt every year or the fish and game letting them. After years of this ignorance, we are now seeing the results.

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give him the antlers that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom