Unit 8 Late Elk Hunt

elkhunter7pt

Can someone that has hunted unit 8 tell how the quality of animals are. Like a good chance at a 300" plus. Also are there a fair number of just raghorns running around. I'm a non-resident and thinking of putting in for this tag. I have some real ankle and foot issues on my right foot. I can still make it back in off the road a few miles, but at a very slow pace. So overall how is the terrain. Any information would be appreciated. Thank You

Like most of the Arizona late elk hunts there are some good elk killed every year. Unit 8 is no exception. The biggest issue specifically with 8 is there are a lot of tags and a lot of people. The weather plays a factor as well. If you did your homework and scouted a 300 in elk is doable. There are canyons, mountains, large meadows that make up 8 and elk can be found in all of them. There are also a lot of roads as well. The forest service is working on closing some roads but they have not been very succesful is enforcing the road closures.

John

Like the other poster said unit 8 can produce good bulls, but it is a tough hunt for the late rifle. Scouting is key. terrain is moderate to rough, and there is a lot of tags given out for rifle. Being a nonresident you might want to give unit 6a a good look they give out a lot of tags, but there is definitely a lot of elk in 6a probably has the biggest concentration! They take nice bulls out of 6a every year. Hope this helps

For unit 8 can you get away from the roads far enough you don't run into the next road.
For unit 6A which of the units has the more appeal. More elk, more public land, most hunters. The success looks to be the about the same in the two units.
Another thought would be unit 10, but it gets the most hunters of any hunt now.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom