Unit 82 Elk Help .

AZMIGHTYMULIES

Looking for a little bit of help regarding this Unit (82) , not in my behalf , but my Brother . He bought an OTC tag for Cow,spike,Bull , and He would be happy with whatever He can Tag out on. He has been in the Military for several years, Deployed over-seas numerous occasions , Based in Germany , Japan and now Colorado, finally back in the States after 14 years. Due to this New War in Syria/Iraq , He just got word He is being Deployed again in January.
There is nothing more that He wants right now than to Hunt for Elk this October before he Deploys to Kuwait for 14 months.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated for my Bro.
Thanks .

Come on boys lets get some info for this guy.I wish i were a guide in the unit i would take him for free. I will do what i can to find something out . THANK your brother for keeping us safe.....

Wish I could help on that unit, but have only driven by it. I don't think he is supposed to be shooting a spike elk in this OTC Unit. The rules state:

Bull elk taken in all seasons must have four points or more on
one antler, or a brow tine of at least 5 inches long in GMUs:.....82.....

There is some high country in that unit for sure! Best of luck to him.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-24-14 AT 03:45PM (MST)[p]I think the only ES OTC there is in CO is for Archery. If I am correct the OTC rifle in October is bull only having at 4 or more points on one side or a brow tine no less than 5 inches. You say he bought it for 82, does he realize that his tag is good for nearly half of the state? He is not restricted to just 82 on an OTC. At leaast I know that is true for Archery. In 2010 I hunted OTC rifle in 81. The animals stayed up high until the snow pushed them down, then they were easier to find. Saw a couple of small bulls that were deffinatley legal. Only issue is that there are not many guard rails on HWY 17 and there are a few places I wouldnt travel under those conditions again. PM me if you want to hear what I know of 81. Also, check with the local Game Wardens, they have always been super helpful. Good luck

Please start by giving us the season he will be hunting. Not clear which one you are talking about. Here are the options:

OTC either sex archery
OTC cow elk archery

Limited muzzleloading (already happened)

Limited first rifle (either sex or cow)
Limited cow 2nd and 3rd season
limited either sex and cow 4th rifle

OTC 2nd and 3rd rifle Bull tag

So I am guessing he picked up an either sex left over 1st rifle or has an OTC 2nd or 3rd season tag?

None of the above allows you to shoot a spike

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Thanks everyone for all the replies and advise . My Brother picked up an Either Sex Elk Tag, I do not know if a spike is included or not . Hunt I believe starts on 11th of October .

So he picked up a left over limited 1st rifle season/either sex. It does NOT include spikes. He can shoot a 4+ point bull or "antlerless" elk.

Sorry I have not hunted there in rifle season. 82 is steep and he will have to get miles from the truck and be willing to pack the elk back out those miles. Unless he pays big bucks for a private land hunt. Success rates are in the upper teens to mid 20s

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I have never hunted elk in there, but have hiked through some parts of it. What I know about that area from word of mouth is that the elk like to head for the Preserve or the Park as soon as they are pressured. There is plenty of timbered steep slopes in there and I imagine some of the elk hole up in tough to reach timbered pockets on steep north facing slopes.

My first piece of advice would be to make sure you have a little crew along that can help pack something out. Without organized help I wouldn't step foot in there with the intention of shooting an elk. From there I think you have to have your camp on your back and stay mobile, but slow and keep working that timber until you find green ##### then slow down, glass and cow call a bit until you see something.

Very rugged country that can't be hunted by going in and out daily. I think the success rate is pretty low as well which speaks to the challenge of the hunt.

Good luck!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom