Unit 82 info..??

BrowningRage

Long Time Member
Hey guys- dont hate, but I'm a Utah resident, looking to finally branch out and give some dollars to another state for their "better than Utah" management...

I've been considering huntin deer in unit 82 "Baggs" and was wonderin if this might be a good place to start for an out-of-stater like myself. $320 is a lot of money to me, so I'd like to have a good experience. While my wife and two young children may be along, I can spend plenty of time hikin if the unit calls for it. The numbers on the WY F&G website look pretty good as far as harvest rates for a general unit.

Any advice would be greatly appreciate... and any info leading to a great hunt will forever be remembered by myself and my young fmaily. :)

Thanks guys

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

I started out my Wyoming deer hunting in that area before area 82 became Region W, when it was still part of region D. And afew times since. Just like everywhere else Ive been, depends on what your true expectations are from the hunt. Ive hunted some areas around Baggs that hold good numbers of deer and other areas are low deer density's. I havent been in that area since the hard winters so things may be differnt now? I recall seeing lots of other hunters. Tons of 4 wheelers running all over the place, had 1 case where I made a good stalk on a nice buck, just gonna take the shot and here came a 4 wheeler over the ridge (not on anykind of road). On the postive side, Ive killed some solid deer out of there with alittle work.

That place is a zoo during the deer season. My good friend lives in Rawlins and the only time he will hunt the area is during archery season. The main roads accessing unit are ridiculous. the country has lots of roads and tons of 4 wheelers running all over. In all honesty I have been in the unit during a couple different deer seasons, I have never seen "big" buck during a deer hunt. I have seen a couple 150ish bucks, but nearly everyone in there is shooting some piss-cutters.

Like every where there is some potential, but the amount of people you will see in that "general" unit is unreal. If it were me I would rather look at hunting a CO unit every other year with a point, way better deer and better potential.

Also deer aer still down from hard winter and numbers are just looking to comeback a bit. They have implemented a 3 point or better restriction now and the season was once again shortened in the area. That is a good indication as to how the Fish and Wildlife are seeing the animals/numbers. I would look at some CO units instead. There are some really good CO units taking only 2 years to draw.

If you could archery hunt it, it is decent archery country but the decent bucks are few and far between.

Also I would be hard pressed to say that WY is currently managing it deer better than Utah. Especially in a general unit.

I think the guys above are right on. A lot of pressure, and deer quality is down. If I was a NR I would look into Colorado.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-28-13 AT 09:25PM (MST)[p]

I agree with the above posts as well.. I began hunting area 82 15 years ago and have been back since the hard winter kill. The first year it was devastating and I couldn't believe what I was or should I say wasn't seeing in terms of deer. I'm afraid that thinks have never been close to the way it was prior to that and have my doubt it ever will. The area is mostly comprised of private land and ran by a local outfitter. They seem at manage the number of hunters to minimize pressure and the deer never leave those properties.

My experience with 82 had been dismal at best and I hopefully the three point or better restrictions improve the quality over time. I can't believe how many hunters I see harvesting small first year bucks. Although I'd actually personally prefer they just close the area for a period of five years.

I won't and haven't been back to 82 and now look at region K for my Wyoming hunts. Good luck with yours

Funny post. Three points or better regulations actually hurt "quality" in the long run, and they do absolutely nothing for overall population numbers.

Things really have to be in the crapper before they put a point restriction on an area and generally after a few years it proves to not help a thing just like SouthernWyo stated.

WHEN 70 PERCENT OF THE BUCK HARVEST IS YEARLING BUCKS THE ANTLER RESTRICTION DOES HELP PUT MORE MATURE BUCKS IN THE POOL.

YEAH I KNOW IF ANTLER RESTRICTIONS ARE IN PLACE FOR TO MANY YEARS THE BUCKS TURN INTO BIG 3S OR GIANT FORKY'S.....HEY... HERE IN IDAHO MOST WOULD LOVE TO SEE A BIG 3 OR A GIANT FORKY....WE CAN CROSS THAT BRIDGE WHEN WE GET TO IT !!!

70 PERCENT OF THE BUCK HARVEST IN THE GENERAL UNITS IN IDAHO ARE YEARLING BUCKS WITH MILK ON THERE LIPS.

THE GOAL IS TO DOUBLE THE POPULATION AND PUT SOME AGE ON THESE BUCKS.

STOP HARVESTING THE ANTLERLESS

STOP HARVESTING THE YEARLING BUCK

A 5 YEAR PLAN AND THEN MAKE AN ADJUSTMENT IF NEEDED

Thanks for all the advice guys... This hunt was going to be a secondary hunt if I didn't draw my LE tag here in Utah... I may still put in, but it looks like I may just buy a WY point so that my dad and I can hunt a different area next year. We are a little more interested in Region K as its close, or up at the Grey's...

Thanks again guys... Have a great season..!!

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Browning. Let the Mule deer alone for a few years and chase the Elk. They are over objective in most areas, teach that young family how good elk is for you. Let them strap on a pack and carry some out. You will be way ahead chasing elk over Mule deer right now.

DZ

As mentioned above pt restrictions for deer generally work poorly. Bad genetics (more forked horn and 3x's) plus some hunters accidentally shoot forks or 3's, walk up to them, and let them lie. Colo tried this many years ago and it was a total failure!

Restricting tag numbers, predator control, and range improvements...and a little help from Mother Nature are about the only way to increase buck/deer numbers!

I AGREE RESTRICTING TAG NUMBERS , PREDATOR CONTROL AND HABITAT IMPROVEMENT ARE ALL GOOD WAYS TO INCREASE BUCK/DEER NUMBERS.

BEING SELECTIVE IN YOUR HARVEST CAN IMPROVE THE AMOUNT OF MATURE BUCKS IN THE POOL AS WELL.

HAVE YOU EVER HAD A YOUNG BUCK IN YOUR CROSSHAIRS AND SAID ( I AM GOING TO GIVE THIS BUCK A COUPLE MORE YRS AND HE IS GOING TO BE A TOAD. THAT BEHAVIOR IS NO DIFFERENT THAN POINT RESTRICTIONS AND IT WORKS !!! THE HARD PART IS TO GET EVERYONE TO BUY INTO THE IDEA...THERE ARE ALOT OF GUYS ON THIS SITE THAT WILL NOT HARVEST A BUCK UNLESS IT'S OVER 180 OR SOMETHING SPECIAL....WHY DO YOU THINK THAT IS ???? IT'S BECAUSE THEY BELIEVE THAT THE ONLY WAY TO HAVE MORE MATURE BUCKS IS TO NOT HARVEST THE YOUNG BUCKS.

JUST BEATING THE DRUM :)

+1,204.If more hunters practiced self-control when "trophy" hunting,I'm sure we would see results in a short period of time.Unfortunately,many just want to hunt and fill their tags.Which is okay if that's what they want to do.After all,it IS their tag.

Years ago when antler point restrictions were put in place,there were instances of leaving a buck lay because he didn't have enough points.However,nowdays that is a rare occurence for the most part.I think this is due to increased penalties for poaching and also modern media.

I have seen apr's work in sw Wy very well over the past 5-6 years to increase b/d ratios when they have become very low.Not only did b/d ratios increase,but age class drastically increased by the 2nd year.In one particular unit,the transformation was nothing short of astounding.The unit went from b/d ratios of 6/100 to 30+/100 in 2 years.Bucks over 190 and even 200 were taken in the 2nd and 3rd years of a 4-pt or better regulation.The following year G&F wanted to completely abolish the apr for the unit,but due to sportsmen(and ranchers)speaking out,G&F instead went to a 3-pt or better rule.This seems to be working to keep b/d ratios good,but numbers of mature bucks have dropped off(bucks of 4+ yrs of age).

I'm not sold on the fact that apr's will help to keep that older age class of deer around;especially 4-pt or better rules.Too much pressure gets put on that segment of the herd,and the 2-3 yr old 4 pts get whacked before they can reach maturity.After a few years,you just run out of older bucks.You also end up with a genetically inferior class of bucks(mature 3x3's,2x3's,etc)that breed many does,which can result in those genes becoming more prevalent.

However,used in certain situations to increase b/d ratios,apr's work very well for 2-3 years.It's a great management tool that I wish G&F would use more often.I would like to see apr's imposed in most of Wyoming from time to time just to increase older bucks for a year or 2.Then just go back to the any buck rule for a couple years to relieve pressure on those older bucks;then back again.I think Wyoming would see a drastic increase in those older(4+) age class bucks that many of us desire.

Sorry to hijack your thread,BR.I used to hunt 82 many years ago,but I really have no info on the unit these days.

Wyo could learn a little from Colo? Once Colo started limited deer tags in all units it started re-writing the B&C books! Having the entire state a draw for deer stretched the number of applicants that burned pref pts over the entire state rather than only a scattered few limited draw units. Just think what pref pt creep would be like for Colo deer if the entire state wasn't draw only! I'm certainly not complaining about the quality of bucks in Colo now compared to what it was like when there were so many general deer units! I'm hoping some day Colo will wake up and do the same thing for elk!

If Wyo opened more limited units it would spread the current res applicants over more units....and actually make drawing tags in most units easier than they currently are.

In 2011 there were almost 2,000 general res plus quota nonres deer hunters in unit 82. That is a heck of a lot of hunters in just one unit! I expect it is pretty tough to manage a herd with unlimited general resident hunters?

It kind of blows my mind that Wyo residents will complain about quality of bucks and number of hunters but aren't willing to take the next step and adopt more limited units across the state.

Can you imagine how many monster muley bucks would be available in G, H, 82, and others if these units were limited for Wyo res? The genetics in these units are definitely there if given the chance to age! General tags mean lots of hunting pressure, young bucks, and super low buck:doe ratios!!!!

jims---Just wondered how can you say that there were 2000 residents with general tags that hunted in unit 82? I know that the G&F can tell unit by unit when they are LQ tags, but how would they know hunter numbers using a general tag and where did you get that information? From what I see on these Forums, it does sound like everyone is saying there are way too many hunters down there in those areas for a good quality hunt. I know G&F cut back on the NR tags and even closed the 82 LQ late hunt and made some other units LQ only for this coming season. Until they limit residents to only one region on a general tag instead of being able to hunt all of them like they can now, I can only forsee continuing problems like you stated. What are some of the residents feelings that are reading this thread on G&H being general tags if it's true that the areas are being overhunted?

LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-13 AT 05:31PM (MST)[p]I agree with the majority of the aforementioned posts and some of the points are spot on. I've got a lot of past experience with area 82 and feel that with point restriction and limited amounts of hunters this area would rebound fairly quickly. I've harvested some 3 year bucks that were very respectable. Speaking from my experience of this area my thoughts are there would be a lot of hunters going home empty handed the first couple of years of implementation; with the exception of the guys hunting private lands of course. Back in its glory days there were a lot of nice 4's running around. I'm a supporter of these regulations for the next 3-5 years and feel strongly the benefits would be felt immediately.

+1 NONTYPICAL, IS SPOT ON....I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THE 5 YR STUDY IN IDAHO TAKE HALF THE GENERAL UNITS IN SOUTHEAST IDAHO AND PUT THEM IN A APR THEN ROTATE TO THE OTHER HALF .

NOW IS THE TIME TO REBUILD OUR BIG GAME HERDS

SORRY TO HIJACK THE THREAD

Thanks jims! That's a section of stats that I very seldom look at, but it does appear as you stated that they are estimating those numbers since the general tag covers lots more than that area. It sounds like it must be a sea of orange from what you're saying and that sure can't be a quality hunting experience for anyone. I'm pretty well in agreement with all of you that a point restriction will increase the buck quality and quantity in an area if the weather doesn't kill them before they are big enough to meet the requirements to get shot. However, that point restriction alone will not rebuild the herd if does are being shot, so there would have to be a combination of things to bring quality and quantiy back, again leaving Mother Nature out of the equation. What is the answer guys? Should G&F go to more individual LQ units down there like they just did for this upcoming season or possibly require that residents only be able to pick one region to hunt in on a general taginstead of being able to go all over and follow the various season openers?

I feel they are forcing themselves to go all LQ for deer. By taking out the few units they did this year, they will put more pressure on teh other units. It will cause a ripple effect. They either need more General areas, or more LQ. I think that the few changes they made this year will eventually cause more issues.

Yes 82 is a sea of orange and it is hard to get away from other hunters. It can be done, but man it is hard.

I would think that they could manage regional tags as LQ. But is am not sure how long they can sustain the tags as they are now.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-04-13 AT 09:13AM (MST)[p]alks96---I think your comment about managing the regions as LQ for residents would probably be best to see how that works before moving on to an all units LQ system. They could even require that a person couldn't draw a region more than every other year or something like that to try and ease the pressure and still allow the person to hunt every year in other areas.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-04-13 AT 09:19AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-04-13 AT 09:18?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Mar-04-13 AT 09:15?AM (MST)

There is no way that 2000 hunters are hunting in 82 each year.

I've hunted it in the past and while its crowded down in the lower reaches, and an absolute 2 point slugfest, there arent 2000 people hunting it.

The WYG&F is guessing and using estimates in all the general areas. When a person can hunt dozens of units per year on a general tag, there is no way to track it.

I dont believe the answer to Wyomings mule deer lies with LQ statewide. The only way to increase buck numbers is to increase the over-all populations.

I'd rather have shorter general seasons, than statewide LQ. There seems to be ZERO thought given to the heritage and tradition of hunting. Its all an ego fueled chit-show, that a minority of mouthy trophy hunters whine about non-stop. They dont really care about the over-all health of the deer herd, only about the size of the antlers produced. You ask these types of deer "experts" anything biological about the deer herds they're hunting and all you get is blank, confused, and dumb looks. They dont know what the carrying capacity is, dont have a clue about habitat, etc. etc. etc.

Further, they dont even know how to define a trophy buck...their definition in the Platte Valley MDI, is based on the width of a bucks antlers???? Really? What a joke!

Dont base your management on something quantifiable and that actually applies to herd health...like age classes, buck/doe ratios, total POPULATION, doe/fawn ratios...lets just manage for a buck with 25 inch wide antlers.

Bottom line is that hunters need to educate themselves, show some respect, self control in the field, and learn what impacts they have when they pull the trigger.

Maybe instead of whacking a 2-point for "meat", consider shooting a cow elk that are literally a dime-a-dozen...right in deer unit 82. Maybe consider hunting whitetails, that are also a dime a dozen in many areas of the state.

When you have doe/fawn deer and antelope tags, look for the oldest, most non-productive does to kill instead of killing a 3 year old doe with 2 fawns standing next to it.

A little common sense will go a long way to helping deer. Keep acting like idiots and you'll watch opportunities vanish...right along with the hunting heritage.

Good comments BuzzH! There are a decent number of deer where I hunt, but I see G&F has eliminated all the doe permits this year except for private land and I'm ecstatic about that move. Last year I could have shot a bunch of small bucks and one 3x3 in particular was close to getting the hammer dropped several different days I saw him. I got good looks at him through binos and the spotting scope and could tell he was young and has some real potential. I ended up filling my tag the last day with a nice old dry doe that was by herself and gave all but the backstraps to an old couple that have a small ranch where we hunt some. I would have eaten tag soup if I had not been able to give them the meat and that's the way I'll continue to hunt since I just can't see shooting bucks that aren't any better than ones I've killed in the past. That's been my philosophy for the last 5 or 6 years, but I doubt there are too many NRs that have that attitude because most seem to feel the need to fill their tag with a buck of some sort just because they can and because the tag was expensive. If that's what they want to do it's their decision, but don't stop and complain to me about only seeing does or pisscutters as the years go by.

i have passed up many 20-24 inch bucks in the 3-4 years old class,in the past 20 years,i like to harvest a mature buck that is 5 yrs or older,i have ate my tag and never worried about having to harvest a younger buck,i am a non resident,who loves the challenge of harvesting a mature muley.

There were 1,000 region W nonres licenses issued in 2011. The only units nonres can hunt in W are 82, 100, and 131. According to the WG&F harvest reports there were: 726 nonres hunters in unit 82, 127 hunters in unit 100, and 83 in unit 131. This is pretty close to what I would expect for nonres.

There could easily be somewhere around 1,300 res that also hunted 82 in 2011. 2,000 hunters in unit 82 sounds pretty darn accurate to me.

Obviously it would be great if hunters would be willing to pass up immature bucks and go home empty. Unfortuntately that isn't the case and the majority of hunters bring home meat. 2,000 hunters in a unit as small as 82 is pretty outrageous!

If those bucks can get alittle age to them in 82 I think it would be a good trophy area overall, its got good genetics in IMO. On a side note, I actually killed my one and only 30 incher from 82 in the general hunt years ago. Memorable hunt, sicker than a dog feeling like total crap from the flu and was able to muster him up.

Not a chance...you're numbers dont even "add" up.

I've hunted 82...no way there was 2000 people there.

1300 residents hunting 82? No way.

Bottom line is the WYG&F has NO idea, just a vague "guess" how many people are hunting each general unit.

I could roll chicken bones and come up with a more accurate number.

With the area 82 type 1 tag now gone,you will see an increase in older age class,bucks;guaranteed.When you add in all the commissioner tag holders,those late season tags are double the quota set by G&F.I don't know what the success is on those type 1 hunts,but you can bet the majority of the bucks being killed are 3+ yrs of age.

Elks96,you are spot on about those hunters pushed out by the LQ units in the Platte Valley will have to go somewhere else now.This is going to create an even worse hunter overcrowding issue than we already have in most of southern Wy.You think 82 was crowded before??Wy has some tough decisions to make in the coming years.G&F is really pushing the public for comments.One thing is for sure,though.More hunter pressure on an ever-dwindling resource is not good for mule deer.

BUZZ says shoot an elk!I couldn't agree more!Elk numbers are part of the reason mulies are dwindling.We have too many elk!Plus they are bigger(more meat) and usually better table fare.

I first hunted area 82 in the late 70's.That place was a deer factory back in those days.Deer numbers were incredible.Many mature bucks were seen and killed for many years.The genes are there.

Wyoming resident hunters are spoiled.Try limiting most in some way,and you will hear worse crying than you do at work.

At some point in time,too much pressure on the resource will force G&F's hand.

OL'BUZZ IS RIGHT ON TARGET, BE SELECTIVE, HARVEST A COW OR WHITEY AND LEAVE THEM YEARLING MULE DEER BUCKS AND BREEDING FEMALES ALONE. WE NEED ALL WE CAN GET RIGHT NOW !!!

It is pretty simple math: 726 nonres hunters in unit 82 in 2011. 700 nonres + 1,300 Wyo res = 2,000 total hunters.

Whether Buzz likes it or not 2,000 hunters is close to the average number of hunters in 82 as posted in the WG&F harvest stats for the past 3+ years.

As long as there are general tags in 82 there will continue to be an army of hunters in 82 and the quality of bucks and experience will be in the toilet on public land! The Average Joe from Larimie will likely head over to 82 and shoot forked horns just like they've been doing year after year!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-13 AT 10:27AM (MST)[p]I hunted w/82 last year. I can tell you for sure that place is a zoo! Is it a 2000 hunter Zoo? I don't know about that, but I easily counted over 200 in the area I was hunting. We scouting several days in a couple different areas. It seemed once we found alot of deer, we also found a ton of hunters. The general tag that incorporates several different areas has to be harmful to the herd. The road hunting in that area is ALSO ridiculous!

Kinda off subject- I think the herd would benefit a ton with getting rid of the INC. and a date tweak. Micro management if you will. If G&F was to checker board the units/areas with offset hunting dates? This would give animals a safe place to go under presure, from unit to unit. Also kinda throws a curve ball to the hunter, as to the area choosen to hunt.

There are an easy 100 people from baggs that hunt deer. Put that number with the easy 500 people from rawlins that hunt deer. Add those numbers to the every other vehicle you see from county 2 and I bet you are real close to the 1000.

2000 people........wouldn't surprise me a bit!

py

Im sure it does seem like a zoo now a days. Last time I was there it was I think a 14 day season, had 2 weeks to spread the hunters out. Aint it now just a 7 day season, I can see there reasoning why for management purposes, but sure does crowd everyone into 1 week.

BUZZ is right about G&F guessing hunter numbers.They also get their deer population numbers by guessing.They talk to a few hunters;see some deer-and the rest of their info is computer generated based on that small amount of field data.

This is what I'm talking about when I say G&F has some tough decisions to make in the coming years.They need to think outside the box for a change(yeah,right).I feel like we(residents) need to either pick a region(like nonres),or maybe split the season and you pick early or late.This could be done when you purchase your license(deer only).This would alleviate hunter congestion somewhat,and might solve hunter overcrowding issues without needing to shorten seasons.If nothing else,G&F could at least say "we tried that".I can't see that either of those possible solutions would hurt deer populations any more than what we presently do.

Seasonal meetings are taking place this month.Go to a meeting and let your thoughts be known,or send them in.Wyoming's mule deer are hurting-and so is mule deer hunting.The number 1 most sought-after species in the state is mule deer.It's time G&F quit looking at mulies as their "cash-cow" and start giving them due respect.

nontypical---I think that's how a big share of the numbers are obtained by the various G&F Departments throughout the country and it can really lead to some screwed up numbers. I like the idea you just mentioned and I would think they could try that for even one year and go from there depending on how things went and the reaction to it that people could get back to them with! It definitely will take some "out of the box" thinking like you mentioned, instead of the same ole same ole stuff that isn't working! If only the money and politics could be taken out of the equation altogether, we'd be in much better shape to get things straightened out and the deer on the road to recovery if Mother Nature would cooperate a little bit!

1000... 2000... who cares?? Its too many dead deer...82 has bigger problems than the amount of tags being issued... drilling, loss of habitat, people driving their ATV's everywhere, including off road with loaded weapons, POACHING is rampant. Its amazing the # of coyote hunters that come out of the woodwork about the time mid NOV rolls around... Horn hunters that "forget" there is a shed season. Bad thing there is only one warden for several hundred square miles....

I would rate the road hunting in 82 right up there with 2b New Mexico. Yes, its that bad! The poaching I never witnessed, but could for sure see it happening!

Eastmans are idots! They have ruined more of wyoming hunting than any other group, well besides the game and fish! There have been some really good people working for them, but the eastmans themselves are idiots!

First of all I do not agree with the three seasons. The first two are decent dates but the last one would just be shooting stupid, rut crazed bucks on the winter range. The information about "A few of the larger bucks slipping down to the winter range in December to breed does" seems like that is a little off date for most peak ruts of November.

I also do not agree with the point system and I believe this blog shows just another way for the eastmans to ensure that they can trophy hunt on private ground during the late season. Look at the two trophies that guy has shot. First one shot of private land in southwest Wyoming.Second shot of private land in Colorado front range late season. So much for the DIY Public Lands BS these guys are always pushing.

And some look at the last paragraph and say, "Well his dad didn't do that and has trophy bucks to his credit". Yeah I would like to think that if I would have been hunting during the 70's and 80's and didn't have to have a real job, I would have trophy bucks like his too.

Sorry for the rant. The eastmans just really Pi$$ me off. I can't even watch a video of them with out thinking I want to slap Guy or Mike to get them to spit their sentence out faster.

py

I won't go as far as saying they're idiots, but I think they think a lot of themselves though! I ran into two real nice young guys in ND last Fall while pheasant hunting and was talking with them for a few minutes at their camp when I saw they had a Wyoming plate on their truck. I asked where they lived and when they said Powell, I responded that they probably knew the Eastmans. The one guy said something in return like: "Yea, they're some of the biggest, arrogant, aholes you'd never want to meet!" and the other guy was not disagreeing one bit! With that I quickly changed the subject as to how they were doing on their hunt with their pointers, LOL!

I watch the Eastman TV show and it seems like a lot of their shows the last few years have been a far cry from the motto they use of fair chase, no fences, and on general tags. A good share are now with LQ tags, landowner tags and guided hunts in CO and WY, etc. I think Guy's idea of a short, two week season for archery in August might make it strictly a velvet hunt that a lot of guys may not be into, but I don't see a huge problem with his comment on a limited hunt the first 10 days of November. Any later than that from what I've seen, however, would really start getting into the rut and make it much easier to wack a big buck.

The Eastmans are the absolute last people in the world whose advice on big game management should be followed. They have demonstrated, much like the vast majority of internet "experts? that they have completely no idea what goes into wildlife management. On the other hand, they have put together a pretty slick PR program to sell their product; I'll certainly give them that...

I think we can do better than basing wildlife management decisions on the internet ramblings of a magazine salesman.

I certainly don't agree with a statewide LQ on deer and I know from attending some of the past years spring meetings and talking to other hunters, there are a lot of guys who agree. The G&F is facing a serious budget shortfall. The legislature couldn't come up with any solutions on how to increase revenue which I think will lead to a pay me now or pay me later situation at some point. Given the revenue issues, I don't see the G&F endorsing a statewide LQ deer plan given the amount of revenue that will be lost. I also haven't seen any LQ deer advocates proposing any viable solutions on how they'd make up the loss in revenue from both resident and non resident license fee's if we went that way.

Limited Quota does not mean fewer tags per say. It just means better controls on specific units. Ultimately you could still support the same number of hunters, just control pressure in those units. I do not see where LQ units would really hurt money wise as resident hunters would still be allowed to hunt, just not have nearly the options, length and diversity they once had. The biggest down fall to LQ is forcing hunters to pick and chose.

Also you will not know where hunters will perceive as top/better units and what will not be high demand units... This can lead to issues drawing tags that were once easier as general, but now harder because the guys that hunted a region type tag all really liked the one unit in the region

Everyone seems to want better quality!! My group hunts a large private ranch near Baggs. Last year I passed up 20 legal bucks on opening day looking for the magic number?? I saw 3 bucks that were in the 24" range , the rest were smaller.We ended up with two 160 class bucks, A 27" and a 24", The rest were around 20" The ranch owner now has an outfitter that has talked his way in to our retreat. There goes the chance at a big one. He got in using the magic word"CASH"!!
If F@G would limit the tags or shut an area down to hunting for a year or 2 things would improve but REVENUE would be lost by the state and the local economy that relies on the hunters for income.The days of the 28 to 30 inch bucks are all but gone, Most of The city boys that book the hunt with an outfitter think there all monsters!
To stop the outfitters from this I think a law should be implemented that they have to list every client as a reference and submit a photo of each clients "Trophy"!"Every year", Not just the Biggest Buck, Even the dinks!Then you will see the truth!
It's like the guy on TV that hunts with so and so outfitting. They locate the best buck and make sure this client kills it. Then they try and tell you that there are alot of bucks that are this size on the ranches that they hunt so come on down and book a trip. BS
I was told years ago that hunting is becoming the rich mans sport and it's true. The outfitters in unit 82 are charging 4 to 6,000 bucks and when they offer cash to a private ranch owner you better come up with some cash or get pushed out.Money talks!
We are headed back to hunt next week and I will give an update on what we see and what we end up with.

I hunted 82 a couple years ago for the first time and it has way too many hunters! I felt like I was hunting a D zone in California! Quads were everywhere......on roads........and even off trails making their own roads. Had a dumb a$$ father and son ride through a sage bottom to get to an aspen grove they saw on google map thst had no trails close by. I walk my a$$ off just to have those type of hunters all around me. I think they could leave the tag numbers alone and just ban the damn quads and side by sides. That will make people work for their buck and quit damaging the land. Most those guys would never leave their vehicle. That area has good potential, just get rid of the ATVs

Don't look for things to get better in 82 anytime soon. In fact, things should start getting much worse starting this year.

Platte Valley region is now limited quota in many units, pushing hunters that would normally hunt there(if they didn't draw a tag) into new areas. All of regions D and W should bear the brunt of this new pressure, and over the next few years, those hunters will be spreading farther out in search of new areas that are less crowded with other hunters. Good luck with that.
As far as ATV mis-usage and abuse, the laws are already on the books. Don't blame the machine for the idiot sitting on it.

Outfitters leasing up the good ranches is nothing new, either. This isn't just because of money. Many landowners are sick and tired of hunters leaving their trash all over and leaving gates open. When they are approached with an offer of clean property, closed gates, and now an extra enticement of money on top of that, who can blame them for jumping at that offer? I never turned down a raise when I was working. WGF has come up with a fair solution with the PL/PW program, yet many hunters still don't follow the rules, causing many ranchers to opt out of the program because of continued abuse and mistreatment of their property.

I've said it a thousand times-hunters are our own worst enemy most of the time.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom