Unit 84 Elk

idhikker

I'm looking at hunting south of Hoback in unit 84. I've done some research and heard more good than bad but mixed reports. I'd like to backpack in and hunt early in the season. Rub shoulders with the deer hunters and maybe trade info with them. I realize it will be somewhat crowded even deep. Sounds like good elk numbers, lower on quality bulls but a few in there.

I'd appreciate any thoughts from the group here.

Yep good elk numbers quality like ya mentioned, few good ones. Can call them in on the opener of rifle if sept 26. Got a spot we have called in bulls on opening of rifle but we haven't harvested anything big in there but seen a stud in there 2 yrs ago but only seen him that once and we kept going back 5 days straight to try to turn him up but no go!!! Good luck on your hunt and enjoy it!!!

If you dont like what you see or to many other hunters in 84, jump over to 83 as a secondary unit plan B. Hunted fish creek for Antelope 85, Deer H, and Elk General not much pressure and a DIY NR that packs in can have great success on a decent general bull. Pulled a 310 out of there in 2018 and a NR from OR had a dandy and biggest general Elk bull ever seen ran into him on his pack out. You can look at the harvest reports for 83 on Wyoming website very decent for a DIY backpacker. I did spot 2 Grizzlys on the 3rd and 4th day of my 5 day hunt through glass but we kept our distances away the 2 bears and us. The Biologist gave me a ton of info on 83. The fire areas had several glassable elk the kinda would come from everywhere in evenings and was very glassable to figure out a daily plan. Like i said the hunting pressure was light and saw Elk every day and legal Bulls 4 of 5 days. Probably be several years tell i hunt Wyoming Elk again but love to share my success in 83 without major competition.

Last edited:

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom