Unit 87 mule deer

tagsoup

Do you guys think that unit 87 is worth 3 points. I have three points and they are burning a hole in my pocket. With one point in the 2008 special draw you were Guarantied the tag. What would you guys do? I am not very fimilar with Wyoming so I am open to any ideas.

Thanks,
Soup

Soup, I haven't hunted Region E but like you i have 3 points. I'm holding on to mine for at least another year trying to get a better tag like 82 or 102. Maybe take a look at 90, 55% last year with 2 points & only 100 tags were available.

7 Mag

87 is worth less than three points according to the demand index. There is alot of private land in the deer country in the area, but enough public to have a good hunt. I'd advise having a good map of the area.

Has anybody hunted 90 before? Does it have good hunting on public land? What would be a nice buck for the unit?

Also does anyone one if they are going to change the dates in units 141, 162? Would that still be a good hunt with early october dates?

Thanks,
Soup

87 and 90 are similar in deer quality and access. 90 is harder to draw-not sure why, maybe because it's a little easier to hunt. If you want to burn your points try 89, it's better than 87 and 90 especially if you can get on private.

"Dear MacGuyver, Enclosed is a rubber band, a paper clip, and a drinking straw. Please save my dog." Peter Griffin aka The Family Guy

141/162 now has an opening date of 10/1. The end date is not stated on the website, but I would assume it would end on 10/15, not 10/31 as in the past. It would still be a good hunt, but you will have to hunt the mountains more than the migration corridors because I doubt there will be enough snow to start the migration. Here's the link to the tentative season dates.
http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/09appbooklet/09R23.pdf
cqh1

I think Piper is more correct, it is probably going to close on Oct 20th or 22nd this year.

I think I'll pass on putting in for 141/162 this year. See what comes out of there this year.

I didn't see anything real impressive come out of there in 08, did you guys?

cqh1,
Btw just checked out your website! AWESOME pics! I will be ordering the one with the coyote tracks on the dunes here real soon! Very cool pics!

Thanks for the comments about my website.
If I had 3 points I wouldn't have a problem using them on 141/162 even with the earlier opener. There are some nice bucks that summer in 162. Most of the harder to draw limited quota areas in Wyoming are not as great as you would think. Regions G and H have better bucks than most of the limited quota areas. Plus you can hunt them every other year.
cqh1

I am in the same boat. I have 3 points and told myself I would hold out for 102, ya right. I am dumping my points and going with a general area. One I have spent a-lot of time in. I talked to the Game officer that works that area. He told me that while doing some fly overs he saw a few nice bucks and a-lot of young bucks. I figure if i put in the time and get back in there my chances are good. The thing about this area that I like is if it works out to be a good hunt I can buy a special tag next year with one point and hunt agian. As far as my elk points those I will hang onto and hope in the future for a premium area.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom