UNIT 9, and this mess!

ELKMAN

The 16d argument is a joke!

I spoke with a Game and Fish guy today.

They can not manage the populations. There is more private lands in unit 9 then public. for example. The landowners just use the bull tags, and the public lands get hit with cow tags! They will have to issue 1000000 cow tags, and destroy the land even more with abuse etc!

This Landowner System needs to go!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-10 AT 06:08PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-10 AT 06:05?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-10 AT 06:04?PM (MST)

Elkman, unit 9 is definately a joke mainly public land,when I guided down on the Floyd Lee Ranch we were taking close to our alloted bull tags and about 80% of the cow tags which equaled about 250 and we were doing damage to the herd but so were the LBar and Elkins but the herd was mantaining proper numbers on
private,
It wasn't until g&f got a bright idea to shoot close to 1000 cows off public land that turned out to be the demise of the herd, public and private was affected by this not to mention the ranches keeping the herd in check with proper harvest controled numbers, what caused this? LACK OF COMMUNICATION ON HARVEST NUMBERS, everyone is forgetting proper control of harvest objectives that need to be met in order to keep the herd in healthy numbers, now that is why harvest reports need to be filed honestly so that the quotas on tags can be issued in the max amount for more opportunity, but don't forget the ranches are doing there best to keep numbers in check, and how can you figure to do away with landowner tags, man, can you imagine the damage a uncontrolled herd of elk would do to the third largest ranch in NM if elk were not being taken on the ranch, who would pay for that?
Hopefully this gives a little insight as to the tags and herd in unit 9.
Nmbighorn

You sound like you have a vested interest in this mess?

It may take a little digging!

The number of public anterless tags issued on public lands vs private lands in unit 9. would be a great read!

The hunters still have to purchase a tag from G And F, but I am so sure that happens! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

This system needs to go!

Naw, no vested interest I've drawn more elk tags than most in this state all I need to stop is to shoot a 380+ bull an I'm done huntin elk, then the elk mess can go what ever direction g&f want it to go they will make the final decision anyway as to the quality and quanity, I will tell you this though when I started bow hunting there were a lot less elk then, than now, and a handful of bow hunters, and no gripeing about tags and opportunity, I was just showing what some ranches and g&f have done to the elk in 9 and how g&f distribute the tags in the draw and to landowners, its just a bummer to see everyone greedyness and selfishness and not takin into account the animals that we spend money on in conservation to preserve for future generations as its our duty to be stewards of the earth and everything on it. Have a great season!
nmbighorn

NMBighorn,I guess you guided for USO?

You made the comment about everyone filling their harvest cards out honestly,to give G&F a realistic idea of the harvest.I totally agree.

I don't know if this is even feasible out there,but in the Midwest we have/or had a mandatory check-in stations(local Sheriff's office,VFW,where ever)for deer and it was awesome.

In Calhoun County just below Pike,opening day we would all wait in line for an hour or so to have our deer checked-in for age,etc,then a non-removable orange coded tie was put on the animal,(No tie on your deer you better have a good reason why),show off our harvest and to swap stories,have a cocktail, spend time with the family and friends. Good Fun!

Now this was only done for the gun seasons,the archery season(harvest too few and far between),you would just stop at the local Sheriff's or other designated location,(then you'd have to spend all that fuel to drive around town all day or night to show off your harvest to everyone).

I think it would be cool to see everyone's deer/elk and hear the stories,take pictures,video,etc.

Although my state,The State of IL,has did away with this great tradition citing budget cuts(and saying that IL has way too many deer to worry about it anymore),but most of the people doing the aging,taging were volunteers.

The other bad thing is I talked with alot of the locals when this law changed and their were glad saying,I can shoot anything now even small bucks,and not going to tag any of them, unless it's a Trophy or a doe.

And with the volunteer phone process alot are not being truthful.One way or the other.

Anyway just a thought.

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you think their right"

-Joe E Sikora

I agree with Joe.

I have personally worked check stations in OK., collecting bio-data, and have witnessed first hand how strong of a tool it can be for biologists. Although Elk are not managed the same as deer, creating a mandatory check, would certainly clear up/ change how a few things are done.

Elkman, I've already graduated from more than just high school, I'm just letting you know what was up in unit 9 since I was there for at least 8 years, by the way why are you hiding who you are? Insecure? If you cant show who you are on the web, how do you ever think someone is going to take your word seriously and believe you, Or are you jabbing at me because I worked for USO, common dude take a chill pill and relax the hunting season is just around the corner OK. No need for you to be busting any blood vessels in your little brain the rut hasn't started yet there rag horn!
nmbighorn

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-10 AT 12:04PM (MST)[p]nmbighorn,ELKMAN said nothing about you working for USO,I did.
It wasn't to slam you or USO,all I said was I assumed you work(ed)for USO because you were talking about The Floyd Lee Ranch,and I know at one time they leased that property or whatever.

I hunted with them my first elk hunt(before that I didn't even know NM had elk)on The Cottonwood Ranch in 2004.

I hunted with a buddy and I ended up killing the biggest bull on the private ranches that year I think(five minutes after getting out of the truck on our opening morning Saturday 10/23/2004,only problem was he walked off about 1 1/2 miles before we found him on Turners property to finish him off),reason being they used my photo for the P.R. Hunts section of the next years catalog.

Good Luck to all this season.

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you think their right"

-Joe E Sikora

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom