Unit 9 Archery Elk

E

Edpre

Buddy and I have an opportunity to get Unit 9 archery tags. Would appreciate any "insider info" on the unit. I've read archives and posts that say everything from "great" to "stinks", and alot of "high quantity with less antler size". We'd be doing a DIY hunt, camping, and be happy with anything 290"+. What I'd really hate is to get out there, be completely in a zoo of other hunters and have slim odds of seeing anything. Understand that weather, hunt skill etc., has to play a role, but you know what I mean....

Any comments would be helpful, since I've got to turn down a Colorado Muley hunt if I grab these...

Thanks,
Ed

Ed, I am contemplating the same thing. I don't know anything about the unit other than it hasn't gotten any press for being a trophy unit.

I wouldnt turn down a muley hunt in Co for it that is for sure. 290+ huh well yes there are some and heck everyonce in awhile somebody will get a 330 to 350. I would say you will be looking at bulls way below 290 99% of the time. It is still a fun hunt the elk are starting to make a comeback from the slaughter G&F had and yes there are some good bulls in this unit but the majority of them are not. I have been hunting or helping friends out in this unit for 12 years. Myself and friends have killed 310 bulls to dinks from hell. With the majority being dinks.

It's fun hunt, but I don't know if I'd turn down a Colorado muley hunt for it. 2 very different types of hunts IMO.

There are a lot of elk, so you should have no problems there. There are some big elk too, but when we used to hunt it most of the bulls we'd encounter were 5x5's. Very big bodied too, so I don't know why that was the case.

When they hit the rut, they go at it very aggressively. Again, it's a lot of fun and you should see a lot of animals, but you'll probably have to pass on a lot of them to get a shot at something you really want. Having that kind of opportunity is a blast.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-29-08 AT 08:38PM (MST)[p]Unit 9 is a jam up unit.I know in past years it hasn't been the best unit , but as of the last 3-4 years, it's gotten pretty damned good.Now it can be a zoo, especialy up along the border of the Floyd Lee ranch, theres always a bunch of guys who really think they can call the bugling bulls out of the very low pressured FLR onto the pretty high pressured areas of public land that borders it.But thats just my thoughts on that particular area , and we don't hunt any where near there. Unit 9 can be a huge bust if a guy doesn't know the area,but there are elk scattered through out a bunch of it, but it's checker board country, meaning alot of public land is between alot of private land, thats why I say a guy really needs to know where he is at and can chase elk.350 used to be top end for along time on bulls up there, but not any more.And as mentioned on an above post, the elk grow big and heavy on the hoof, big bodied bulls.I can't tell you to grab the tag over a muley tag in CO, but I know for certain without a second guess, I'd pack my bow and head over there, but then again, one of my hunting partners was born and raised there.In my book, unit 9 is a real good tag, better if carrying a smoke pole.

As for unit 9 having more elk than 16A , I don't know for sure. The 16s' in NM are in a class all by them selves, the only unit in my mind that really compares is unit 15, then 17 and 13.But I can be wrong.16A vs 9 during the elk rut, well I'd say 16A but 9 is still good enough....

Thanks for the input, keep it coming, I think I'm leaning toward 9 Elk. What're your opinions on best days within the season? I've always done my MT archery from the 5th to the 15th if possible, I think that puts them late pre-rut or early heavy rut and keeps them active - not yet all cowed-up, but I'm not sure about that time in New Mexico. 10th to the 20th would put me right in the heart of a full moon (the 15th), which I never particulairly liked.

Thanks

Go deer hunting. We hunted it for several years and it is a very fun hunt in that there are a ton of elk, but they are not big, at least not as big as what you want (on average). Elk just about everywhere, but most in the 200" range. A very good bull will be 310" from there. I work with a bunch of guys that hunt that unit hard and they say they see 350 bulls all the time, but when they come home they never have a 350 bull and the "300 inch bulls" they take really are closer to 260". Very fun hunt, but the size is just not there.

I'd focus on the later part of the hunt. Sometimes they get going in the middle of September, but most of the time they don't really get fired up until the end of the month.

I think weather can have a lot to do with it. If it cools down or rains, you better be out there.

There are NO big bulls in unit 9....

Just like most any unit in NM, there are most likely a couple of big bulls laying low and the potential is always there. There are some hogs in the unit but you will have to get really lucky and/or look over quite a few small bulls to find the big boys...Here are a couple of unit 9 muzzle bulls from a couple of years ago. I was calling to a bull that dwarfed the 7 point in this picture but my buddy never saw him and shot the 7 which I had no idea was also sneaking in us. Late September is usually when see heavy rut activity in this unit. Not my choice for a big bull unit but there are some sleepers hiding out in there...

4-17-2007-04-1.jpg

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom