Unit 96 Elk

mevertsen

Very Active Member
Well, I have searched, and have not been able to find any information I am looking for.

Here is the deal. I can hunt cow elk in NV every year, or 2 out of 3 years with a bow or ml. I am fine with that, but I want to hunt bulls, and don't want to wait 20 years to do it.

The Wyoming draw is out before the Nevada application period begins, so I a am looking into it pretty hard. I am also thinking of Colorado, but have not begun research there yet.

By looking at the draw odds for previous years, and with the preference point system, it looks possible to hunt 96 about every other year, mabye every third year, on a type one tag.

I searched, but have not found any information at all on this site.

Does anyone have any info on this unit. I don't want to hunt a general hunt, and am willing to wait a couple years for a tag, I just want to hunt bulls sometime in this life with relatively low pressure, and at least a fair chance at a decent (4-small 6 point) bull in 8 days hunting.

What is the terrain, vegetation, road system, etc like in this unit?

I would pull in a camper, and have my 4 wheeler with me also. I would leave camp on the 4 wheeler, and hunt on foot from there, up to about 1 1/2 miles from a road. Any farther than that, and I would be in trouble as far as being able to get an animal out.

This September I shot a cow, and it took my 5 hours and 5 trips on my back to get her 1/2 mile.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Marcial

I have hunted unit 96 twice. You will not do very well unless you go into the wilderness on horses and you cannot do that without a guide if you are a nonresident.

Thanks for the information. Thats what I was afraid I was gonna hear.

I have looked at other areas though, and am not giving up, lol.

I am considering actually applying for an area that is more reasonable to hunt, with a type 1 first, and then a type 4 as a second choice, and get a chance to hunt that area for a couple years before drawing the type 1 tag.

Either way, I want to hunt elk, lol

Later,

Marcial

Are you dead set on 96? over 98?

Your stratagy is good for hunting most every year but I think I could save you a few buck$ if you want to chit-chat off-line.

Robb

No, I am not dead set on 96, I have also looked into 98 as well. 96 was more of a "starting point" for conversation, and to get the ball rolling.

Send me a PM and I can give you my phone number.

Thanks,

Marcial

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom