Unit 96 Green Mtn mule deer

rtoreson

Hey All,

Just kicking around ideas for this year. Anybody have much knowledge of this area for mule deer. Looking for somewhere to go as a second choice fall back option. This area looks interesting. Curious if a guy could find a few decent bucks working down off the mountain during the short rifle season that is offered. Plenty of public land to hunt and a guy could hike a little and do a bunch of glassing. I'm just curious if the area holds a few deer?
Thx,
Brian

Hey All,

Just kicking around ideas for this year. Anybody have much knowledge of this area for mule deer. Looking for somewhere to go as a second choice fall back option. This area looks interesting. Curious if a guy could find a few decent bucks working down off the mountain during the short rifle season that is offered. Plenty of public land to hunt and a guy could hike a little and do a bunch of glassing. I'm just curious if the area holds a few deer?
Thx,
Brian
There were a few before this winter... Hard to say what will be left. That area has been in the bulls eye for snow pack.

Thx for the response Dave. My cousin hunted elk in this unit last season and saw some bucks up high during the elk archery season. Said they were all gone when he went back for rifle season. I figured they moved down the mountain. I've hunted for deer and antelope in some units close to there. I've just personally never set foot in that unit. The draws and canyons lower down look pretty promising. I just didn't want to waste time in an area void of animals. Have to see what the rest of winter brings I guess.
Thx
Brian

Thx for the response Dave. My cousin hunted elk in this unit last season and saw some bucks up high during the elk archery season. Said they were all gone when he went back for rifle season. I figured they moved down the mountain. I've hunted for deer and antelope in some units close to there. I've just personally never set foot in that unit. The draws and canyons lower down look pretty promising. I just didn't want to waste time in an area void of animals. Have to see what the rest of winter brings I guess.
Thx
Brian
There isn't a whole lot for deer in that area you might be able to find a few but it also gets pounded by hunters. If you had a good amount of time to spend looking it might be doable

We are sitting at over 160% of normal snow, had record low temps this winter. The numbers were already low and struggling. We just got another 20” and 60 MPH wind and temps in the -20s. The deer that go north off the mountain were already heading to death 3 weeks ago. This last storm pushed them off the cliff.

I know many people who just t it and very seldom do I hear of a buck over 140… it is going to be a really hard year on all critters in this area.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom