Units 12,13,23,24 2nd or 3rd season

wallhanger

Hey guys. I'm running out of options this year, and am thinking of buying tags for these units so my son and I can spend some time in the mountains together. Anybody have any tips or recommendations of areas and timing for us to have a good time up there? We're just hoping to have a crack at a decent buck. Thanks in advance.

WH

I have seen some nice bucks taken in GMU 12,though not by me. The area gets lots of hunting pressure,more than anywhere else in the state.Colorado gets alot of hunters every where,so I guess if you want to hunt there you put up with the crowds.If you can find private land to hunt on it really increases your chances of a good buck.

I'd spend all of my time in 12 and 13, but preferably 13 based upon the harvest statistics. I wouldn't waste any time at all in 23 or 24.

2nd season, 3 year average success % for unit 12 is 42%. 2nd season, 3 year average for unit 13 is 57%. 3rd season, 3 year average for unit 12 is 32%. 3rd season, three year average for unit 13 is 55%.

I'd say you could hunt either season with similar results. Just decide if you'd like the milder weather of the 2nd season or if you think the colder weather could be to your advantage in the 3rd season. The stats show a slight preference for 2nd season but I don't think the difference is significant.

I don't know about the size of animals in the different units but this gives you an idea of where your best chances of killing something are.

The stats are available on the DOW's website by year. I just calculated the 3 year average of each unit because I think it's more reliable than looking at only one years worth of info.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-24-07 AT 04:03PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-24-07 AT 04:02?PM (MST)

Check out the Jenson and Oak Ridge Wildlife area,lots of deer . GMU 13 is primarily private property and tresspass fees are kinda high.
When you look at the stats it does not seperate public/private land and the success is a lot higher on private property.they can be a bit deceiving if you don't know the area.You should only use them as a general rule.

Be advised that the DOW is planning a prescribed burn of 766 acres in Oak Ridge SWA this fall if they get the right conditions.

>Check out the Jenson and Oak
>Ridge Wildlife area,lots of deer
>. GMU 13 is primarily
>private property and tresspass fees
>are kinda high.
>When you look at the stats
>it does not seperate public/private
>land and the success is
>a lot higher on private
>property.they can be a bit
>deceiving if you don't know
>the area.You should only use
>them as a general rule.
>

Unit 13 is a great unit with lots of deer and even better elk but as already said it is 90% private. For an OTC elk area it has some great stats. It's not unusual for my clients to have over 70% success on elk in unit 13.

http://www.RockyMountainHunting.com

I hunted there last year and the year before that and I have no pearls of wisdom for you...you will see lots of orange....There is plenty of public land in those units...but around Halloween it will snow 2 feet in the NF and you won't be getting around in there and the hunters immediately get concentrated and public land gets real limited.

We scout it in mid-Oct and man there are some nice areas to hunt in there!!! (but that changes)

Last year I shot a bull and the year before that a buck (and passed on a forked horn at the same place last year).

I've hunted in both Jensen and Oak Ridge. The DOW say that it is about the best bet for public land...later in the year (after the 2' of snow higher up). There will be plenty of orange in Jensen and also in parts of Oak Ridge. I was way back in Oak Ridge one year glassing. I saw several does and 3 people that shot bucks. a friend shot a 3 pointer in Oak Ridge, but I've since sworn off both places and don't really recommend em.

Also, there is INdian something or other SWA a little south of Pagoda and there is some hunting off the road going east into the NF from Indian ?. Again...tons of orange. But, if you get away from the roads you'll do better.

Around Hamilton, take your BLM map and watch for public land that touches a road and walk off it. Get a GPS and a compass and don't get off the public as ranchers want you to pay to hunt on their land. Or just watch for a 4x4 parked at the side of the road. If you look, you'll see a BLM sign w/in a short distance of the front and the back of the 4x4...in fact every time you see a sign that says entering public land, you'll see a parked 4x4.

Hay Flat, south of Meeker, big country, and not much orange. We didn't see anything in there, but were only in there for an afternoon. We only saw a fraction of the area. It was dry when we were in there. It is Aspens and large grassy areas.

There is plenty of NF access off of the Buford Rd...as long as it hasn't snowed 2'.

Here are my pearls...pay for private land or take a boat and hunt the south side of the Yampa up east of Craig. There is another SWA up there and the critters cross the river and the hunters don't. WE hunted Jensen one year (and saw nothing) and the next year some of the boys paid to hunt the 9-mile ranch...evrybody in their group got a bull or had shots that they missed.

Sorry, but that is what I know about the area

Just curious, how much to hunt elk on that 9-mile Ranch? I live here in Craig, Co, but I'm new to the area! So I amjust wondering.

Work to hunt!! Live to hunt!! And the rest spent keeping the wife happy!!

Does the Oak Ridge SWA have any spots where I could park my travel trailer? I drew a muzzleloader tag, and I am thinking about checking that area out.
Thanks Don

LAST EDITED ON Aug-26-07 AT 05:35PM (MST)[p]Down the road to the east ,there is Beaver Reservoir and they have camping there.Might be others ,but that is where I stayed.

I don't know what the 9 mile costs. I couldn't afford to pay it myself. It is just that, private land is the best place to hunt...and I don't think it really matters which private land. I threw that out, although it is probably not an option.

You can park in Oak Ridge, in either one (E or W) or also the north ones. I've never been in the north one, other than the parking lot.

2-3 miles from highway 13, on the Buford Rd. is the "Green Cabins" It is about 10 night, per person, for a tent. They have a bath house. It is a fairly nice place to camp...a nice hot shower and a warm place to take care of business first thing in the AM.

Stinky,

I am unaware of a north entrance to the Oak Ridge area. Where is the parking area you refered to?
Mark

The north ones, meaning the north side of Oak Ridge. You go 2.5 miles or so E of town on the Buford Rd...turn left on 6 Rd and go straight east, to, I think 40, and then south on 63. There are 3 entrances, that I know of...the north one and the two off of the Buford Rd...3 if you count the lake, which I think is a dif SWA. They all have enough room to park a trailer.

BTW, some of em are a good place to hunt off a bicycle as there are 2-track roads that are open, but not to cars/trucks/atvs. But, I've never done it (used a bike).

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom