Units 13/14/15

highcountryhunter

I was invited to hunt private property near Elk City for Elk and Deer during the 2012 rifle season. Can anyone tell me what the hunting is like in this area and what quality of animals I may see. Thanks!

I have not hunted much of 13 or 14 but have spent a fair amount of time in 15. Growing up in grangeville, i have put my time in to say the least in the hills towards elk city and over the last few years i have been very dissapointed do to declining numbers of the deer herds, mainley mule deer. The quality of bucks isnt what it should be from what i have experienced but not to say they arent around. That country is also very steep and thick so that also makes it a challenge. As far as elk goes, I do not hunt that area but again have not been very impressed with the amount of sign or encounters. Good luck.

>here's a crazy thought....you may want
>to contact the property owner.
>

Wow! This is exactly why I don't like posting. I ask a simple question and get a smart a@@ answer. For your information the owner is rarely on the property and is not a hunter....maybe there's a reason I asked the question.

Gunhunter......Thank you for the information, exactly what I was looking for!

You could be in luck. The only real good hunting up around Elk City, is in or very near Town.

The elk numbers are down, but there are still some aroud. You planning on archery or gun hunting?

If the deer are moving (snow) when you are up, then it can be very good. However that will not happen when the elk season is still on.

There never were very many Mule deer in unit 15 to begin with. It is ture that there are far fewer now though.

Be sure to bring a wolf tag or two; there are many in that area. At one time it had the largest pack in the country. They killed much of the game in the area, so I do not hear as much about the wolf problem as before.

I do think the whitetail are doing pretty well though, but big bucks are few and far between as the genetics and or feed does not throw out a hole lot of antler.

We used to hunt it every year. But the wolves have change it all. As far as Elk I wouldn't even buy a tag. The last 2 times we've whitetail hunted up there we haven't seen a elk, or even cut tracks. The whitties numbers are way down, but you can still find a few. And like the gentlemen said buy a wolf tag. In 2010 the wolves howled all day lone.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom