Units 2 and 201

R

RL

I have 20 non-resident preference points and am trying to decide which unit to apply for. I have always had in mind Unit 2 or 201. I do not want to hire an outfitter. I am from Washington State, about 1,000 miles away so scouting is difficult for me. This will be my retirement hunt so I will be able to bowhunt the entire early season. Which unit would you choose if you were me?

I have spent alot of time in both these units, you cant go wrong with either unit. In the time i have spent, i have seen alot more/bigger bulls in 201 during archery. hope you draw it and GOOD LUCK!!!

Flip a coin. You may wanna contact the state biologist or conservation officer for that area and pick there brain.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

Looks to me that there are two people with 20 points this year after one tag so you may not get it but good luck.Haven't been in 2 but 201 has some great bulls and that would be my choice.

You honestly can't go wrong with either unit. Spent alot of time in both units (especially 2) and both of them are awesome hunts and hold good bulls. I personally like unit 2 better due to it is a larger unit and I've spent more time in it. 2 is mostly pinon and juniper country with the douglas mountain area being ponderosas with scattered aspens here and there (much like northern arizona) I've better luck finding the big boys running around out in the sage and juniper country. Most guys don't think to look there. 201 has a little of everything; sage, pinon/junipers, aspens and dark timber. Im not sure what your odds are at 201 but im fairly certain you'll draw 2. Feel free to shoot me a PM and I can't further help you and show some pictures of some past bulls.
Coloradoboy

Don't be to over confident in his odds. My partner and I both have 20 NR PP and will be applying for the archery tag this year. I do wish you good luck. If I do not draw this year I'll try again next.

201 would be my choice.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

So what makes you choose 201 or 2? More elk, bigger elk, ability to locate elk easier? I guess this is best taken from the perspective that most NR tag holders will have limited exposure to these areas. For me that makes it the hardest to decide. I have hunted 2 once for cows and never even beemn in 201. Given unlimited time I am pretty confident I can get into elk once I get familar with the area and locate the elk.

I've got the same 20 NR elk points. I was going to try fo one of these hunts as well!!! Maybe I'll have to wait!!

The cow hunt went well and both my partner and I tagged out. But it was not easy. We saw 13 bulls before we saw out first cow. That was 4 years ago. It was the first time we had been in the area and i took us awhile to figure out where the elk were. That area is so much different from the black timber and aspens that I am used to hunting.

Looking at the 2011 NR stats shows last year there were 334 people with 19 pts and 154 with 20 pts so it seems there's lots of competetion. I don't envy anyone applying for 20 years and realizing it may take many more to draw a top unit!

I also have 20 points with plans to do a retirement hunt in two years. The way I figure only 18 hunters will be out of my way by then. The only thing we can hope for is that they open options for non-res in the ranching for wildlife hunts. I hope you get lucky and draw your tag.

They do have some hybrid tags for nonresidents however they are "capped" as indicated on page 5 of the application booklet.

>They do have some hybrid tags
>for nonresidents however they are
>"capped" as indicated on page
>5 of the application booklet.
>

A non-resident will not draw a hybrid tag, because the non-resident "cap" is met before the hybrid draw occurs. True story, 0% chance. But if you have nothing better to apply for, it won't hurt you to try.

>>They do have some hybrid tags
>>for nonresidents however they are
>>"capped" as indicated on page
>>5 of the application booklet.
>>
>
>A non-resident will not draw a
>hybrid tag, because the non-resident
>"cap" is met before the
>hybrid draw occurs. True
>story, 0% chance. But
>if you have nothing better
>to apply for, it won't
>hurt you to try.

Yup...
Snowballs chance in heck...

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom