Units 4/441 Elk Question

Ltsheets

Very Active Member
I just purchased a land owner tag for private land in these 2 units. I haven't heard back yet from either the landowner or guide to get pics yet of the kind of bulls that are representative of this area on either public or private land and I'm having a hard time finding pics online from this area. I got this hunt mainly because of what I've heard about the elk densities around Craig CO. This will be a mid-Sep archery hunt for me. If anyone has any pics of bulls taken in that general part of the state, I'd love to see them! Thanks.

Its not a trophy area and they usually kill a crap ton of bulls in that corner of the state, so typically they do not get old. I don't know how to post pictures here but the average bull is typically 4x4s and 5x5s or small 6 points. The biggest elk our group has killed in that area is a small 5x6 that was about 275 inches.

Are you referring to public or private land...or both?

>Its not a trophy area and
>they usually kill a crap
>ton of bulls in that
>corner of the state, so
>typically they do not get
>old. I don't know
>how to post pictures here
>but the average bull is
>typically 4x4s and 5x5s or
>small 6 points. The
>biggest elk our group has
>killed in that area is
>a small 5x6 that was
>about 275 inches.

Both, the below information is from the CPW about a RFW property in unit 4.

...Snake River RFW is located in an area where elk are substantially over herd objective and the elk herd is migratory. Since antlered elk do not always remain on the ranch and harvest levels off the ranch are high, the size of bulls available to hunters should not be considered "trophy" class...

I thought you were getting a landowner tag in unt 6 and 7?

That was the original plan but they got me a good deal on a guided hunt for myself and one of my best friends from FL. I've only been elk hunting once and he's never been so we opted to go with a guided option so I can learn from the guide on how to call and better stalk elk.

I applied for the same units public land.Excellent unit for early season elk.With a guide you should have a great hunt.

>I applied for the same units
>public land.Excellent unit for early
>season elk.With a guide you
>should have a great hunt.
>

Thanks whiterock! I'm hoping to kill my first elk. I'm really hoping to kill something 275+ but I'm gonna try to not be too picky unless the guide directs me to be.

This area has a lot of elk but its not a trophy area you should have a good hunt and see lots of elk these units have some good elk but they are hard to come by the biggest I've seen in 10 years has been in the high 200s ! But if this is your first I would go kill any elk you can trophy hunt later after you get a few under your belt.

>This area has a lot of
Thanks for the insight. Were those elk you've seen killed off public or private land? Though I will be happy tagging out on any elk for the most part, when paying so much for a hunt, I was hoping for at least a shot at a 250+ bull.

>elk but its not a
>trophy area you should have
>a good hunt and see
>lots of elk these units
>have some good elk but
>they are hard to come
>by the biggest I've seen
>in 10 years has been
>in the high 200s !
> But if this is
>your first I would go
>kill any elk you can
>trophy hunt later after you
>get a few under your
>belt.

Sounds good. Anyone have any pics of bulls that would be representative of this area? Even if they weren't shot there? I don't have a great frame of reference as the difference b/t a 250 bull or a 300+ bull.

Here are a couple, 230 ish up to 265"
7857hunt_08_148.jpg

6204new_photos_362.jpg

3119brians_download_of_pictures_october_31_205.jpg

7094elk_hunt_2011_011.jpg

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

If there will bulls similar to any of those, I will be stoked to take any of them! Looks like you've had several awesome hunts!

just to clarify those are not from the units you asked about.
Thanks, yes some great memories.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Mntman,

I figured they weren't but I've heard from several people that 230-250 inch bulls is what to expect with the chance of something bigger. I appreciate the pics of representative bulls of that size class. Looks like I'd be very happy with a 250ish bull.

Just google craig Colorado elk outfitters and look at there websites pics you will see the bigger elk there killing in that area! The one Mt man put on here is about like the biggest I've seen come out this area good luck!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom