Until next time Grandpa

grizzmoose

Very Active Member
I found out my Grandpa passed away early this morning after a short, but difficult battle with lymphoma and stomach cancer. This was a guy that loved to fish and hunt! About a week ago when we thought he still had a fighting chance, he said, "I still have a fish or two to catch". We knew he was sick and wouldn't make it long, but he insisted that my dad and I not cancel our trip to Alaska last week. As we called home for updates on his condition, family members told us he was fading fast, but strongly felt that he wanted to stick it out until we got back. We got home yesterday afternoon and went straight to his home and spent some time with him. We weren't sure if he even knew we were around, but considering he died shortly after we left, I have no doubt he knew. I guess those last couple of fish caught, were caught for him.

Grandpa was a great man who loved gardening, fishing, hunting, his family, his wife and God. . . in that order. He was a simple man who enjoyed simple things. Just to tell you all what kind of man he was, he once sold a large portion of stock worth over a million dollars. When I asked what he was going to do with all the money, he said he'd probably look in the classifieds to see if he could find a used engine for his little fishing/trolling boat. At the time, he had an old 70's Ford pick up with over 300k miles on it and a house he had lived in for over 50 years. He was very much into education, having received a Ph.D. from USC and taught at Weber state for many years. Most of the proceeds he got from his stock sales was donated to educational foundations. He's from the old school of hunting where he just enjoyed being on the mountain with family. He drew a tag in the Book Cliffs a couple years ago and I got to spend some time with him there. This is his last buck he took on the second day of hunting. He has left me with thousands of memories I'll cherish forever.

206grandpas_deer.jpg

I am sorry to hear about your lost. I lost my Grandpa this spring. It is a tough pill to swallow.

Very sorry about your loss. I lost my Grandpa three weeks ago and can relate to your post. Had it not been for him I wouldn't be as passionate about hunting and fishing as much as I am.

Time will lessen the pain but never the memories.

_gloomis

Sorry to hear about the loss of your grandpa. Nice little write up about him. Sounds like a heck of a man. My prayers are with you and your family...

Here is a picture of his best buck. The mass on this thing is amazing! According to my dad who was with gramps when this buck was shot, this deer was the smallest of the three he was running with!

7171img-20110915-00026.jpg

I'm sorry to hear about you loss Grizz. I idolized every move my Grandad made. He absolutely shaped and molded me into the outdoorsman and man I am today. My condolences to your family.

Great write up on your Grandpa, grizzmoose. He sounds like he was a very down to earth person. He probably even wore his hunting boots in the class room.:)

Eel

grizzmoose my grandpa is almost 90 and still camping,hunting and fishing but he just found out his cancer has come back and the doctors will not remove the lumps for fear of it spreading im praying he can fight it but it dont look good hes my one and only grandpa left and we also have thousands of memories like u and ur grandpa so im very sorry for your loss best wishes to u and your family.

My grandpa would have been 80 today. Lost him on August 8 of last year after his fight with prostate cancer. I think about my dad and him every single day. I am not very religious at all, but I say a silent prayer to them every time I go into the woods. You grandpa seems like an amazing man.

Our condolences are with you and your family over your great lost. Cherish his memories and pass them on to your kids & grandkids.

RELH

Very sorry to hear of your loss. My wifes grandpa passed in a similar manner. Makes it special when you know they wait for your return before they pass.
God bless you man, and your grandpa too!

Thanks for the thoughts guys. He's a special guy. Sounds like lots of you guys have also been blessed with great grandpas.

Hey Grizz, My heart goes out to you and your family. Celebrate the opportunuity to have been able to share life with such a man. We have all lost Fathers, Grandfathers, Mothers, and Grandmothers and hurting is all part of the process. Sounds like you were very close with your Granfather. He is in a far better place now and draws a great buck tag every year now. I like to think that all our fathers that have passed are sitting around that big campfire in the sky trading hunting stories and looking down on us with smiles on their faces. Thanks for sharing your story. Keith.

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

I am sorry to hear about your loss! It is great to hear stories of the old days and how our Grandpas seemed to hold on to what was important.

Remember if we are lucky we to will be Grandpas and we can only hope to be as good as our fallen loved ones.

I am still fortunate as my Grandpa is 95 and my Grandma is 93. I have been very blessed to have had all of my memories and even have my kids gain a few with their GREAT Grandparents. We will be swinging by their house on our way to our annual Sage Grouse Hunt to add a few more memories to the bucket.

Once again I am sorry that you have lost such a great friend and partner and hope that all the good memories help the healing process!

Dean

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom