Update I saw today on one of our own

What a joke! They should hang their asses. I read the eastmans article on that awesome typical. Hunter went on how fortunate he was to take such a great animal, bla, bla, bla. Amazing how many of these guys are out there trying to feed an ego, and get publicity. Too bad, betcha it happens way more than we all think. I have zero respect for these type of individuals.

I watched the live AZGFD hearing where they laid down the civil penalties.
Blake Owens didn't even show up for his sentencing. The GF office could barely hide his disdain for the lack of remorse the poacher showed, and commented on the lack of cooperation and failure to comply with directives to turn over that big velvet 200" muley. Apparently, he used the 3rd grade excuse of "coyotes ate my homework....I mean antlers".

Ridiculous, these guys are turds.

This thread needs a new title related to the old thread or BC777 (so that more people see it).

They are complete turds. They should have hammered them to make an example. The lengths these losers went to for notoriety should have been returned and a statement made to the poaching community.

Taking away your ability to do the thing you love and what you’re good at will hurt these guys more than they know.

A decade is plenty. That’s 10 years they’ll never get back. The best and most able 10 year hunting window of their lives, gone. Can’t build points so puts them even further behind the curve when they start on the ground floor with 0 pts. a decade from now. By then it may be 20+ years between decent AZ tags.

Funny the lengths people will go to, to try and get “famous” in something 99.9% of the country could give two shyts about...

Yeah, I’ll say it does.

Case like this, I’m sure the system did a good job checking all heads, pictures, prior tags etc. Sure maybe something slipped through the cracks, but probably not much. Think about it, 18+ grand fine, with after tax dollars. He’ll probably be paying it a while. He’s a felon. Might lose his career. If he breaks the terms of his probation he gets 6 months with bubba. And even if he was able to keep his career before the slammer, kiss it goodbye after jail.

No living deer is worth more poor marks and jail time on your record.

If all future poaching cases end like this it’ll be a big win for our wildlife.

Taking away your ability to do the thing you love and what you’re good at will hurt these guys more than they know.

A decade is plenty. That’s 10 years they’ll never get back. The best and most able 10 year hunting window of their lives, gone. Can’t build points so puts them even further behind the curve when they start on the ground floor with 0 pts. a decade from now. By then it may be 20+ years between decent AZ tags.

Funny the lengths people will go to, to try and get “famous” in something 99.9% of the country could give two shyts about...
BS. A decade isn't squat. As I said, they will draw another resident tag before some of the NR guys on this board will. (n)

Lifetime ban. And their friends too.

If they poached that much before, do you think the 10 year license revocation will stop them for the next 10 years? 5 deer in 3 years, and a book bear, plus a coati, is what they were charged for. Plus, Blake had previous run-ins with G&F and other LEs for theft of game cameras. How many did they get away with that could not be proven?

he did lose his job. I think 10 years is fair because everyone deserves a chance to serve their time and make it right, but i think he got off light for only $18k in fines. He should have been fined north of $75k in my opinion. Think about all the money he caused the G&F to burn up in the investigation. should have been hit with all their legal fees as well as the fines for the infractions.

Some guy just got busted here in New mexico for only 1 big deer and New Mexico hit him with $76K in fines and legal fees. That is how we should treat poachers. I also believe that poachers should not be allowed to recreate in any way that involves wildlife until their term has been served. So no hunting, fishing, guiding, horn buying, scouting, running dogs, wildlife photography, etc. They have proven they can't be trusted with wildlife so they should have all those rights 100% taken away during their hunting ban.

Our problem is that we have been conditioned to think that restitution is "fair". IMO the sentence should act as a deterrent, and not what some beancounter says the value of the animal to the taxpayers is. Frankly, I don't want people like this in the field period.

Anyone who believes these guys should have their hunting rights restored ANYTIME is not a hunter IMO. It wasn't just 1 buck, 1 year. Or even 2, it was multiple that they know of. How many more were there that they did not get busted on?

Sadly, an above poster is right. This will probably not stop them. But if/when they do get busted again, I think a 10 year jail sentence would be good.

poachers like this should get life sentences. never get a license again. yeah they'll still poach, because there poachers but at least at that point the criminal charges of violating court orders could actually start to have some weight and affect there lives outside the woods. yes your a felon, and you should be treated as such. including 3 strike laws

Blake is a 30 year old kid that got himself in a load of trouble. I don't condone a single thing he did but I do believe in giving someone a chance to right their wrong and turn their life around. I know multiple ex poachers that either stopped on their own or stopped because they were caught somewhere along the way. Either way, somewhere along the way they were able to find a new way and get back on the legal path. It is possible for people to change and we owe them the chance to do so. 10 years is a big punishment for a guy that likes to hunt as much as Blake.

They should have hit him with about $100k in fines to make it right but no matter what he deserves the right to prove he can change his ways. I know you all, like me, have done some stupid stuff and probably more than you are willing to admit. Until Blake messes up again and proves otherwise, he too should be afforded the chance to mend his ways and do better.

Like it or not, people make mistakes. We all have. Blake screwed up big time no doubt about it. Doesn't change that fact that so have you and I and we were given another chance more than once i am sure.

I know what you’re saying Money. I hope he takes the next 10 years and does something to prove he’s trustworthy. That’s hard to do but I suppose I wish him luck. The factors in this make it difficult to believe he will ever be worthy. Some of those are the assault on the peace officer, the number of animals, his past dishonesty with cameras, and the fact he was 30 when this happened. I’m no angel, I was a dumbass until I was about 25. Nothing criminal, just dumb due to lack of years. It’s kind of like being grown up and knowing right from wrong and not giving a dam.

Perhaps the most damaging punishment has nothing to do with the judgement given, but the judgement he will have to live with from his peer hunters. Many of which most likely knew of him and thought he was a hunting beast. Now his peers probably couldn’t think any less of him as far as hunting goes. Which is well deserved, and a reputation that will likely stick with him forever.

Ummm, he didn’t make “a” mistake. He Poached several animals then committed fraud Several times over. F this guy and all the guys like him. They had there chance to not be a piece of chit to begin with. These two won’t change and I hope it is hell for this guy that loves to “ hunt” so much now that he can’t. And he never should be able to again

Sorry 30 years old is NOT a kid. He poached several deer so he didn't just MESS up once. And these were the ones he got caught poaching. Hard for me to believe he only poached just 2 deer. I bet he's been doing this for a long time.

Last edited:
Sorry 30 years old is NOT a kid. He poached several deer so he didn't just MESS up once. And these were the ones he got caught poaching. Hard for me to believe he only poached just 2 deer. I bet he's been doing this for a long time.
Agreed. Just because you might be an older person with grand kids does not make 30 a kid. 30 is FAR from a kid. That said, even a kid knows right from wrong. Seems we can put 16 year olds behind a wheel yet we use the excuse "they are just kids".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom