Update! The WB nominees resumes have been made publicly available

Utahlefty

This is something I've been vocal about and I want to applaud everyone involved in making it happen, including the two nominees.

Newly released today on the DWR's website are slightly condensed versions of the nominee's applications:

https://wildlife.utah.gov/board-appointees-comment.html

The comment link is also available on this page and the deadline to comment is June 15th.

I believe this level of transparency will ultimately serve both the nominees and the public, hopefully dispelling some of the speculation we've seen in the past.

I also believe both nominees are well qualified for the position and I applaud their willingness to take this step. I'd like to see short bios available on the website for all of us in the future.

One of them seems like he was trying to hide his $fw involvement in describing things he'd done. The other is named Nielson?

The requirement of being nominated by a "group" certainly lends itself to others that are "affiliated" with the group being nominated.

That being said comments are probably better served being directed to the public comment link provided.

One of them seems like he was trying to hide his $fw involvement in describing things he'd done. The other is named Nielson?
If he was trying to hide his involvement with SFW he is pretty poor at doing so. It was right on the fist page that listed the groups he was a member of.

Im hopefully this is the kind of voice we as outdoor enthusiast need at the state level to help with what we love, and live for.We need more voices from people that walk the walk:oops:

Both appear to me to be well qualified. I don't really care about what groups they have volunteered with. Both were active doing wildlife transplants, habitat projects, etc. and many things to help hunting and wildlife. Neither sat on the sidelines and complained.

Assume I know something you don't?
You know something the rest of us don't know?

One seems to be trying to hide he is a member of SFW.
It is in black and white!
MDF - Life Member
RMEF - Member
FNAWS - Member
SFW - Member
Farm Bureau - Member

The other is named Nielson.?
I suppose the something you know is, Nielson is a Scandinavian name!
So now we must illuminate
Anderson, Andersen, Christensen, Christenson, Frandsen, Hansen, Hanson, Jensen, Jenson, Jorgensen, Larsen, Larson, Mason, Madsen, Madson, Nielsen, Nielson, Petersen, Peterson, Polson, Olsen, Olson, Sorensen, Sorenson, Torgenson.
I am sure I forgot a couple.
I do belive with that list more than 70 percent of Utards need not apply.

Both appear to me to be well qualified. I don't really care about what groups they have volunteered with. Both were active doing wildlife transplants, habitat projects, etc. and many things to help hunting and wildlife. Neither sat on the sidelines and complained.
$FW cronies are the ones who have gotten is into this mess. We need better leadership on the board who aren't and never have been connected with $FW. I have and urge all of you to write in your disapproval of Mr Thurgood due to association with said group. We have been b!tching for years about cleansing the state of $FW, now we have a chance to make our voices heard.

Last edited:
Utyotekiller
"We have been bitching for years about cleansing the state of SFW."
Just wondering who WE is?
SFW sell out banquets all over the state, that tells me that many people don't share your opinion. Many think they have and are doing a lot of good. Most people who have been and are passionate about wildlife and hunting have belong to many wildlife conservation groups.

Utyotekiller
"We have been bitching for years about cleansing the state of SFW."
Just wondering who WE is?
SFW sell out banquets all over the state, that tells me that many people don't share your opinion.
I have been to several Banquets. It's a fun date night with my wife. It doesn't mean they doing a lot of good. In fact, They could care less about 80%-90% of the people who attend those banquets. Most people go for a good time and a chance to win rifle or some hunting gear. However, the only people that matter are the ones with fat wallets, and a desire to score an auction tag for $$$,$$$,$$!! All the rest is just a feel good front to sell there phony ideas to the average joe. If 20% of the money they raise goes to conservation I'd eat my shorts. Look at all the land they've purchased for private hunting ranches. They've become a lobbyist monstrosity. All of it by using public government controlled commodity (tags). Wouldn't it be nice if we all could make that kind of cash with no liability, selling something you never owned to begin with?...

I have been to several Banquets. It's a fun date night with my wife. It doesn't mean they doing a lot of good. In fact, They could care less about 80%-90% of the people who attend those banquets. Most people go for a good time and a chance to win rifle or some hunting gear. However, the only people that matter are the ones with fat wallets, and a desire to score an auction tag for $$$,$$$,$$!! All the rest is just a feel good front to sell there phony ideas to the average joe. If 20% of the money they raise goes to conservation I'd eat my shorts. Look at all the land they've purchased for private hunting ranches. They've become a lobbyist monstrosity. All of it by using public government controlled commodity (tags). Wouldn't it be nice if we all could make that kind of cash with no liability, selling something you never owned to begin with?...

Actually, by statute 90% of the sale price of a tag has to go to a pre-approved conservation project. (Emphasis on the pre-approved part)

This is audited annually and groups lose their tag allotment if either of two conditions are not met:

1) Sale price has to be at or above the 3-year average market rate and

2) DWR audit shows less than 90% of the sale price was actually spent on the approved conservation project.

I'm not affiliated with SFW but they funnel enormous sums of money into conservation projects

Haha love Gary’s fluffing his resume. I studied the possibility of reintroducing big horn sheep to the deep creeks. Yeah so the dnr removed them? There was a small population there buddy way to lie. Idk how a sportsman from the area wouldn’t know this. Yes I’ve seen them there with my own damn eyes!

Then Bryce yeah screw his goofy looking butt. Read the letters he’s still with sfw. Yeah we don’t need another piece of trash from SFW period. Screw peay as well. He keeps this up I’ll steal his wife and make him pay me I mean her alimony so she can pay for my hunts.

To be fair, take away the tags and keep the #'s up at the banquets that would be a win win.

You hunters are so pro and con SFW, mostly con, and say nothing. Totally nothing, that means anything. Get off it. Let's help the animals, mostly deer and make sure whom ever it will be a voice to increase our herds.

It took a while longer than I thought (11 meetings with minutes only, 16 meetings with audio only, 3 meetings with both. I took lots of notes, but I'll only mention a few. Here's what info I gathered from the RAC meetings:
- Gary represented Sportsmen and Bryce represented the At-Large-Public. (Keep that in mind.)
- Gary missed 3 meetings and Bryce missed 1.
- Neither of them made many motions.
- Neither of them made many comments.
- They both asked some questions about the presentations.
- They both were respectful of other RAC members, DWR employees, the audience and the procedures.
- As Chairs, they made few comments and had no votes to break ties.

Now for some specifics: (Meeting dates aren't mentioned.)
Gary:
-Opposed looking into more Spike elk hunts. Suggested more mature bull elk hunts.
-Wanted to keep SE & SO 5 day deer hunts which were going on at the time.
-Muzzys with scopes are not primitive weapons.
-Voted to end antlerless elk hunts on Nebo.
-Seconded John Bair's proposal to keep Statewide Archery.
-Too many spike elk hunts on some units.
-Voted for Option #1. (Not #2)
-Asked Mike Anderson (a landowner) how to manage elk so they are on public ground more often.
-Mentioned letter from rancher Ryan Cowley asking not to remove Sanpete Valley Extended Archery Elk hunt.
-Asked quite a few questions about the new Mentoring Program.
-Asked questions about sheep transplants.
-Commented that the lose of points for ANY tag drawn breaks up family hunts.
-Liked the return of timed North Slope elk hunts to take advantage of the travel of elk between Utah & Wyoming.

Bryce:
-Willard Peak goat herd over objective. Would prefer transplants instead of more tags.
-Voted to keep Statewide Archery Deer hunts.
-Made motion to approve Option #2. Voted as such.
-Liked Wynn Zundel's proposal to study adding Muzzy pronghorn hunts.
-Seconded proposal to sell multi-year licenses with discounts for Veterans and Seniors.
-Voted to remove 10 day period requirement to change youth in Mentor Program.
-Motion for a study on the closure of shed hunting until May 1st.
-Motion for a study on the success rate of muzzys with scopes resulting in fewer tags.
-Motion to explore archery hunts for bison, sheep and goats.
-Seconded a motion for a 15 day archery extension for youth elk hunters.
-As Chair he mentioned he was not in favor of late LE muzzy deer hunts on General Units.

Conclusion of meeting records:
Both candidates appeared to represent on the RAC's who they were nominated by.

Does that mean they should both be recommended by you?
That's for you to decide if you choose to comment.
However, there are at least 3 other things you might consider.

1- While they were recommended for the RAC by certain people or groups, their sources of letters of recommendation for the Wildlife Board are reversed. Gary's WB letters are from the general public while Bryce's WB letters are from Sportsmens' Groups. So who would they now represent?

2- Who on the Wildlife Board now represents you? Would you want any more like them?

3- Who on the Wildlife Board does not represent you. Would you want any more like them? (FWIW, we already have 2 known remaining SFW members and 2 guides.)

I know what I'm gonna do. Do you?

I'm not affiliated with SFW but they funnel enormous sums of money into conservation projects
Would you say that "enormous sum of money" has resulted in Utah's overall hunting quality being better than Arizona, Wyoming, Idaho, or Colorado?

Actually, by statute 90% of the sale price of a tag has to go to a pre-approved conservation project. (Emphasis on the pre-approved part)

This is audited annually and groups lose their tag allotment if either of two conditions are not met:

1) Sale price has to be at or above the 3-year average market rate and

2) DWR audit shows less than 90% of the sale price was actually spent on the approved conservation project.

Who funnels "enormous sums"? They take tags, auction them off, skim their cut, and put the minimum required into projects. According to an "audit". Not exactly philanthropy.

But, because I'm old enough to remember. $fw came about to "give the average sportsman" a voice with dwr. And to SAVE the mule deer.

With $fw members dominating the WB, how has that "voice" worked out?

How is the mule deer in Utah?

So no. We don't just look the other way and say "well, $fw did put a lot of money out". They didn't. They took OUR TAGS, sold them off to THEIR deep pocket constituents. They SIPHONED of tens of millions, then handed the DWR 6ft tall checks as a PR stunt.

I know several $fw guys, in leadership. They are nice guys, good dad's, etc, but they are active members of a group that is a NET NEGETIVE to hunting in Utah, and overall a cancer to hunting overall.

So being a member, is a no go, for WB. We do know how $fw on the WB has taken us, we need to stop it.

Would you say that "enormous sum of money" has resulted in Utah's overall hunting quality being better than Arizona, Wyoming, Idaho, or Colorado?
Not a chance. Other western states have just as good, if not better, hunting than the State of Utah -- the supposed "Serengeti of the West," without pimping out hundreds of premium tags every year. The return on investment for the average sportsmen has been abysmal.

Hawkeye

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom