UT archery (another idea)

Blanding_Boy

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Oct-19-08 AT 10:41AM (MST)[p]OK so this is really meant to be tongue and check but hear me out it might just have some merit....because it appears there is some sort of mason Dixon line and its us Yankees fight'n against johnny reb in the south.

As I understand it there will be no regional caps in UDWRS proposal correct? If that will be the case how about this...

We all put in for and hunt the southern region go hunt there for the first weekend or two or at least until September 1st give those darn rebs and idea of what over crowding is really like, you know like it was when we had over 200,000 hunters afield and then all go home and hunt where we want September first--after that for five years who knows, we might just claim victory and johnny reb might not be crying so loud anymore and victory will be ours...

I almost forgot if we do this remember to purchase all your gas, food, lodging, and hunting gear up north because wez a fightn boys....

What do y'all think.....

Todd Black
BTO

Anis Aoude made it sound like there would be a cap. He said for eliminating the statewide and forcing you to apply for a region they would compensate the Northern hunters by giving 3000 more archery tags in the Northern region. Maybe I misunderstood but he made it sound like there was going to be a cap. They have to divide it up somehow because they sold out the last couple of years. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

The division is not recommending more tags. The division wants to put a cap on the archery hunt at 16,000

You can all go and hunt the southern this year but the division will adjust the tags next year. So the joke will be on you when you don't draw a tag.

I don't agree with the state wide archery proposal only because of the way they are presenting it. If we had data to back up archers were hurting the herd than I would say shut it down.

There are bigger things to worry about on the proposal than state wide archery.

Here is a letter I wrote to everyone I could think of involved expressing my concerns. Tell me what you think!

I think you should do the same if you are dissatisfied with the proposal.

To Whom It May Concern

I am writing this letter to express some of my concerns about the Division of Wildlife Resources Recommendations for Changes in Draw Processes
And the Overview of 2009 Big Game Proclamation and Rule Recommendations

1. I like the changes being suggested to help out with the abuse of the bonus point system. I knew a lot of people that were abusing the system. However there is still a loop hole that will create a bottle neck problem and it is being able to purchase bonus points for the other animals without being able to draw them.
All this does is make a person have to purchase a point on the other species every year or they will be buried in the point bank system. I feel it is just a revenue building system for the division. I also feel it does nothing to help a person draw a tag quicker.

2. I appose the recommendation of the state wide spike hunt. Here is why. I will use the Dutton elk hunt as an example. The Dutton any weapon hunt allows for almost 80 tags between the late hunt and the early hunt every year. This is a great unit where your odds are increased at a chance at a branch antlered bull. I feel giving out spike tags will ultimately hurt that unit because you will be killing off the herd?s future recruitment. Which will further hurting my chances at a branch antlered bull. I feel if you kill off the future recruitment you will have to cut the branch antlered bull tags back. I feel we were promised when the herds increased the division would increase tags as well. A spike tag is not what this hunter was waiting for.

3. I don't under stand why the division would discontinue the elk management bull hunts and add a deer management hunt. Did the elk management not work out?
If it didn't then why will a deer management hunts work? I personally feel if you want to allow more opportunity without hurting the top end quality you should allow more archery tags. Archery hunters on the average are not always successful at taking the top end bucks/bulls on any unit. They are by nature a more opportunist hunter. Meaning they will take a big buck or bull if presented but will also take a 3x4 deer or a 5x5 elk, which are what the management tags are trying to take out IMHO.

4. Finaly the state wide archery proposal. There are a lot of people I know that are opposing it. They feel the state is taking away one of the last perks for choosing a lesser weapon. I personally am kind of neutral on this issue. I feel we should do what is good for the deer herds. I don't think if the northern region deer were killed off that everyone in the north should be allowed to go down and over hunt the south and vise verse. I also don't feel this state is very friendly to archery hunters. I feel this state should do more to encourage people to take up a lesser weapon. There is no better way I can express or get my point off better than to use the Wasatch Front as an example. It has no winter range, over the counter tags, long hunting season, high buck to doe ratios, and high quality antlers.

Thanks for reading my concerns I hope they are taken into consideration sincerely Scott Weatherspoon

It's already been done. I am pretty sure that Todd has also emailed them by now if he didn't agree with their proposal. The biggest thing isn't emailing them. They don't have to read them. Bowhunters need to show up at the RAC meetings and voice their oppinions. They have to listen to you then.

Southern RAC Meeting 11/4/08
Beaver High School 5:00 p.m.
195 E. Center St. Beaver, Utah

Southeast RAC Meeting 11/5/08
John Wesley Powell Museum 6:30 p.m.
1765 E Main St.
Green River, Utah

Central RAC Meeting 11/13/08
Springville Jr. High 6:30 p.m.
165 S. 700 E
Springville, Utah

Northeast RAC Meeting 11/6/08
Western Park, RM #2 6:30 p.m.
302 E. 200 S.
Vernal, Utah

Northern RAC Meeting 11/12/08
Brigham City Community Center 6:00 p.m.
24 N. 300 W.
Brigham City, Utah

See you there!!!

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

Hi Todd, hope things are well with the brothers and the family!

Not long after my son was born, I purchased him a lifetime license. His number is barely over 1,000. Mine is less than 150. Back then the cost of a lifetime license was $500.00. It was a lot of money in those days and I did it because the Division really needed funding. My wife was mad at me for spending so much, when I didn't even know, at that time, if he would even hunt. I looked at it as a donation because wildlife needed it.

I fought hard, with many others, to get statewide archery back, along with the implementation of the AR-301 and other good programs. In part, we can thank the narrow-minded thinking and the leadership of Utah's great savior of wildlife, for the plight of our mule deer herds.

When I stood on the Capitol steps with many of you, we were promised that Utah's mule deer herds were going to be saved. They were basically hollow words and money and a change of course got in the way and thus Utah's mule deer herds got put on the back burners, as they didn't generate the money or interest, at that time, as did several other species.

The savior of our wildlife has done some very good things, but all in all, the common guy has paid a huge price in opportunity and now waits in line to hunt our world famous elk, why the rich and the famous, hunt them most every year. As our population increases and if things don't soon change, most will be very lucky to ever participate in these great hunts. And this same thing is going to happen to the mule deer, not because that is what hunters want, but as a result of not taking care of the resource in a responsible manner. Elk are much easier to manage, as are other species, and especially with the light hunting pressure now afforded elk and the once in a lifetime species. Is limiting opportunity to the common guy the only path we can follow?

So now the saviors of our wildlife believe that by limiting the archers from the southern region, they can appease their southern supporters. But I think this thing will back-fire big time and blow up in their face.

The same savior of our wildlife started the dedicated hunter program. Now 10,000 people strong, its a group that can choose a southern region tag and not only hunt it during the bowhunt, but turn around and hunt it on the muzzleloader hunt and if they haven't filled their tag, then hit it hard on the rifle hunt. Should that program be so sacred when bowhunting is such a sacrificial lamb? I guess according to our savior the answer must be yes!

It seems so strange to me, that by limiting the archers for a few days, from the southern region, that it can make any sense to anyone, but when you're the leader, at times you take followers into bad water and dead-end canyons. What good purpose does it really serve? Who does it really help? Who does it really injure?

I have many bowhunting friends who bought lifetime licenses way back. We strictly bowhunt and since the statewide archery returned, most of us have not applied for the southern region. When this passes, and I think it will, although I hope I'm wrong, we will all be applying for the southern region once again, thus taking some of the permits that have otherwise been going to the southern rifle boys.

When reason and biology are passed over in favor of ego and poor leadership, let it be known that the worst loss goes to the herd we are trying to save, and then to the southern boys rifle themselves.

If this foolish proposal passes, I encourage every single archer to apply for southern unit permit, so leadership that is wanting and pushing this, can suffer the consequence of such shallow and selfish thinking.

I hope all bowhunter will get off their duffs and get out to the RAC meetings and at least make their feelings known.

It's a very tough system to beat right now when our whole basic system is pretty much owned and operated by our self appointed savior. But if we publicly show are displeasure in masses, it will be hard for those sitting on the boards to go against such massive public opinion. But if we leave it to the same small handful of the dedicated doers, to defend and defeat this, you can bet they will be defeated.

Do your part and attend several RAC meetings and bring some of your friends along too. This is a must if we are to have any chance to retain the state wide archery hunt in its present form.

Have a good one. BB

buglinbilly, the recommendations being made by the DWR are not supported by the "savior" as you call him. I agree that the recommendations are horrible and if implemented would harm BOTH wildlife and hunters. But, it is not the "savior" who is 'pressuring' the DWR to push this garbage, it is the Wildlife Board. Those are the people who need to answer for this silly 'management' plan.

PRO

Define, develop, and sustain BOTH trophy and opportunity hunts throughout the state of Utah.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-21-08 AT 02:06PM (MST)[p]I got direct feedback from a high up in the DWR today. They are getting slammed with emails, which is GOOD! But, the tone and threats by some are NOT good. I encourage hunters, specifically archers to voice their opinion(s), but to PLEASE do so with respect and reason. Making this personal will NOT help the cause. Lets be smart about how we conduct ourselves.

Jim, you may very well be correct on who is pushing this. All I know is I have seen enough evidence to convince me it is NOT Don or Ryan pushing this.

PRO

Define, develop, and sustain BOTH trophy and opportunity hunts throughout the state of Utah.

With all due respect to everyone posting here and to their position, I stand by what I say.

Sadly the boards of this state, including the RAC?s to a great degree, are just an extension of a welling meaning system gone bad.

Without using any names, I can honestly say that those people who don't understand this basic concept have not been around long, or refuse to look beyond the rhetoric or remove their head from the sand!

I am amazed that so many of the sportsman of this state stand by and let this happen. I am even more amazed that those so upset and trying to do something about it, don't really understand the real root of our problems and our real adversary. Basically nothing comes out of that organization without approval of the powers. It's really very simple to understand.

When money, greed, power, and influence plays such a huge roll on the decision making side of Utah's wildlife, and we allow this to happen, how can we expect different results?

I do encourage well thought out, polite letters, with factual information, be sent to all board members.

Have a good one. BB

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom