UT: Moving the Deer Hunt Date

Packout

Very Active Member
Utah has a binding law written in the early 1970s which mandates the general deer hunt starts on the closest Saturday to Oct 20. Someone from 30+ years ago recognized the need to protect hunting.

There is a push by some hunting groups to eliminate this law. It is said that this would allow the UDWR to manage the herds better, as all other dates revolve around the deer hunt start.

I am still on the fence concerning this issue. I really like the fact that Utah's Law protects the deer hunt and that any older bucks in the population are conditioned to when the hunt starts. I like the tradition and don't see the need to change the law. Would the date be moved forward? Later? Is it really necessary?

Any thoughts?

I like the idea, it wouold allow for more flexability with season dates for deer AND elk. The primary reason the date is set for the third Saturday of October is for the cattlemen to get their cattle off the range before the rifle hunt starts. With the hundreds of thousands of acres of habitat restored/improved by SPORTSMEN, the livestock folks ought to be willing to work something out on this. I support giving the DWR and the Wildlife Board the ability to change the opening dates as needed, instead of a mandated date from Capital Hill.

PRO

Define, develop, and sustain BOTH trophy and opportunity hunts throughout the state of Utah.

Until I see the date structure of what they are looking at it's hard to say. I would hope that if the UDWR thought they could manage herds better without the law they would have been the group pushing for the change.

Moving it later could be a disaster if we have snows like 2004. The later it is the more likly it could happen.

For now I would have to say leave the date alone.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-08 AT 08:52AM (MST)[p]If anything, I think the date would be moved to earlier in the month. I have heard talk of switching the dates of the general elk and deer seasons. An earlier deer hunt would theoretically make big bucks harder to kill. You probably wouldn't have the early snow storm / early rut type hunt conditions that we had in 2004 when everybody was killing big bucks on the winter range. On the flip side, it would make for nicer camping weather and guys could possibly spend more time in the field and more roads would stay passable. I think that it would be good for the state to have the flexibility to set seasons that make the most biological sense without having to worry about an old state law, but at the same time I don't know if it will really accomplish that much in most average years. Overall, I see it as an additional tool for wildlife mangers and positive thing for the deer herd.

Dax

If this change in law happens, it will be better in my opinion.
Depending on the area. Deer in Utah start to rut the end of Oct. Elk still may be rutting the first to mid Oct. May states like Wyoming and Idaho have their general deer seasons start the first part of Oct. More leaves on the trees this time of year as well. Elk starts mid to end of Oct.
To fix Utah general season deer herds and still provide opportunity, change of dates needs to be looked at imo.

>An earlier deer hunt would
>theoretically make big bucks harder
>to kill.

+1 Daxter. NV has an early start (Oct.5th). Gotta work hard to find the really big ones.

Big
29.gif
Fly

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-08 AT 09:11AM (MST)[p]Those are some good points, but I do not see it decreasing the harvest of bucks, especially older deer. Maybe on the rare heavy snow year, but not overall. The muzzleloader deer success doubled by moving it earlier and the rifle success stayed the same. We are killing more bucks by moving the hunts earlier.

As for the dates, does it really matter if the Elk hunt starts later? What is gained? Spikes back in the herds make them easier to hunt. Mature bulls on AnyBull units are starting to come out of their rut recovery, becoming more viewable. That equates to higher success rates in the units I am familiar with.

I think the biologists should have more flexibility, but I am not sure if this is how to get it. Like I said, I think there are pros and cons to this, just looking at it from both sides.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com

I am not sure about the dates PO.

Did I tell you congrats on the new P&Y state record Shiras though! Ha! He is a beauty! :)

KTC- I was just trying to get you to weigh in on a management issue. And you did congratulate me on the bull, but I don't mind hearing it again. haha

www.sagebasin.com

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-08 AT 11:16PM (MST)[p]Proutdoors are you kidding me? Cattlemen do more for wildlife habitat than sportsman everyday of the week. WE FEED them most winter in our hayfields and sometimes haystacks. WE FEED them year round on private property and grazing allotments that WE pay to use. WE have chained more acres in the 50s, 60s and 70s than the RMEF and Muledeer foundation combined in their history. WE have installed hundreds of miles of water lines and installed countless troughs. WE have developed springs where water was non-existant. WE have controlled access to allow age on bucks and bulls. It's attitudes like yours that keep gates locked and access taken away! Get you facts straight! Ranchers and farmers are some of wildlife's best supporters. Sportsmen do a lot too, but we live year round with these critters we all love. Don't sell us short. Without ranchers, ya'll might not be hunters.

Sure-Grazing Permittes' do a ton of habitat imnprovement. Plus on the private ground... it never ends $$$ going out for improvements or to better the living.

Anyways...

I do not see this as changing the bow buck dates? nor having any real impact on changing the elk dates in the near future.

Packout-- every now and then I pull that thread up on the bowsite and look at that unreal moose ya arrowed!!

congrats on P&Y record!

Robb

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom