UT Waterfowl Opener

backinthegame

I've been thinking about posting this for a few days now, and even though it's nothing but venting, I figure I'll let you all know a little of what went on this past weekend. A group of friends and myself were set for the UT Waterfowl opener, planning on hunting Farmington Bay. Knowing it would be a mad-house, one of my partners and I headed to the marsh at 4:30 p.m. Friday to lay claim to a shooting spot. Although our first choice was already taken, we were able to secure a decent spot. After a few hours, we were relieved of our duties holding the location by some of our hunting buddies, who proceeded to pitch tents and sleep for the night on the island. Upon returning at 5:00 a.m. Saturday to help set up, we made quite a discovery. While our partners were asleep in the tents, seven other hunters had set up on the island, no more than 50 yards from where we had planned on hunting! We walked over to talk with them, as were quickly dismissing with a barrage of yelling and cursing. Not much we could do, so we let them know firmly where we expected the birds to swing while coming to our spread, and asked them to lay off them, as they would be well within their range. They agreed, but were none too happy. After about a half hour of shooting, a large group of Widgeon were locked in and we were ready to go, when POP!POP!POP!...a few birds fell and the rest flared. Looking behind us, I noticed that our fellow island dwellers had moved to the opposite side of the land, directly behind us, less than 30 yards away! 30 YARDS!!! I quick argument ensued, with the other hunters finally moving far, far away. (Back to the original 50 yards.) Now, I realize that public marshes are just that, public. I also realize that the opener is bound to be crowded, but setting up on the same island? Give me a break guys! Anyone else with me on this one? Or am I being too selfish?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom