Utah Archery Turkey Hunt

MTQuivers

LAST EDITED ON May-08-09 AT 11:32AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-08-09 AT 10:21?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON May-08-09 AT 10:20?AM (MST)

Has anyone else tried hunting these dang birds with a bow? I thought it would be fairly easy to call one in. I have killed a few turkeys in Kansas out of a treestand but I really wanted to shoot this one out of a ground blind and video the shot. A couple of weeks before the hunt I built a ground blind up on the mountain in a meadow where I have seen turkeys many times. I had the second season tag and on day 2 we called in 6 Jakes and had them at 22 yards. I decided to pass. Needless to say on day 7 and 8 I was kind of regretting that decision. On day 8 in the blind I was beginning to think that I might be eating a big bowl of turkey tag soup. I was leaving to Idaho for my black bear tag the next day and I only had a couple of hours each morning before work to sit in the blind. I decided to wake up early one more time. I was glad I did. On day 8 at about 8:00 a.m. I had this nice Tom come strutting into the meadow with about 10 hens and I shot him at 33 yards with my new PSE X-Force Dreamseason. It felt good to break in the new bow and it felt even better to FINALLY outsmart a bird with an acorn sized brain.

4a045ba063df24bb.jpg

4a045bc8666c495e.jpg

www.basinarcheryshop.com
"Go Bow Or Go Home!"

Way to go. I have the late season southern tag this year and have been thinking about trying it with my bow. Seeing that my boys baseball season is going to take up most of my extra time I may end up pulling out the old 12 gauge instead.

400bull

Nice bird It's hard enough with a shotgun to do it with a bow is outstanding.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Very nice bird! Congrats on a very successful hunt! Glad you stuck with it and got it done! I got mine with my bow last year and it was a blast!

I tried a few years ago when I had a tag (thanks again for the help, cowslayer) but I never did close the deal. I drew on two birds, and both times i was busted. They saw me and took off. One was coming into an opening so I drew in anticipation and he saw me and stopped. I tried to snake my arrow through the limbs and failed. They're wary suckers! My respect grew for turkeys immensely from that hunt. Great job!

LAST EDITED ON May-10-09 AT 10:32PM (MST)[p]

Way to go ! I feel your pain ! I stayed with the bow in hand and got my Gobbler on April 13th.

4a07aa421d0d7a70.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom