Utah camping

Ed

I am taking my family on a camping trip from Arizona to Yellowstone and Teton National Parks beginning this coming Sunday. We will be leaving a few days prior to that and should be in the Provo area on Friday. Can anyone offer any suggestions on good locations to camp near I-15 either near Provo or north of there? Also can anyone offer any tips on the best route to take to Jackson/Teton National Park from the Provo area? I'm looking for the quickest route. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Ed

American Fork Canyon, its north of Provo off the Alpine exit of I-15. May want to do some research on costs to camp. Sorry I don't have more info, but its a pretty place thats not far from the Interstate.

Don't know about camping around Provo but when your done the quickest route up to Jackson/GTNP is I-15 to Idaho Falls then to Victor and over the Teton Pass into Jackson Hole. If you want to go to Yellowstone first just go north from Idaho Falls straight up to YNP then loop around south to GTNP and Jackson. If you wanted a little more scenic route, but not the quickest go from I-15 to Logan UT, then to Preston, over the pass to Montpelier then to Cokeville Wy then on up through Star Valley/Alpine follow Snake River to Hoback and on into Jackson.

We just made the loop through I.F. over the pass to Jackson this weekend. Went back through Alpine and Palisades. The water level is very good at Palisades and there was a major rainstorm in the Greys river area. Really envious of everyone who drew a "G" tag this year as horn growth should be great.

When you get to Jackson be sure to go to the Jackson Hole Wildlife Company on Broadway and see the 7 HUGE non-typical bucks for sale there. For only $120,000 they can be yours!

I appreciate the help. I think we will try looking for the campground at American Fork and take the first suggested route.
Ed

You could possibly go up Provo Canyon as well. I believe it's the 800 North exit off I15. There is also a KOA down by Utah lake that is near the Jordan River parkway and Seven Peaks etc..
That isn't far from the canyon either. Good luck.

There are many campsites up American Fork canyon (AF canyon). You can go to one called Granite Flats. It is awesome camping but you need to register ASAP online because it is packed on the weekends. There are some others like Little Mill but they are not as nice. If you need directions or something like that then send me an email in my inbox. It is $3 to enter AF canyon. the campsites do cost and must be reserved. Call the FS office in Pleasant Grove Utah to find out more. Granite Flatts CG is a 35 minute drive up the canyon and AF canyon is 20 minutes from I-15 so it will take you almost an hour out of your way. The bonus is that the scenery is amazing.

Provo canyon has an RV park below Deer Creek dam that is right on some of the best fishing in the West. I am not sure the name of it but they do have some good campsites and the fees are not too bad. Bring your fly rod because there are 20 inch rainbows and browns 100 feet from the camp ground. If interested in this then let me know in a PM and I will send you a list of flys to try.

If you decide to camp in Provo canyon below the dam there are a ton of opportunities to go to Provo or Orem for dinner and there are some awesome movie theatres at the bottom of the canyon.

I am not sure what the quickest route to Jackson will be from SLC but I always head up through Alpine Wyoming.

Thanks to all for the help. We do a lot of camping here in Arizona, but this will be our first out of state trip so we really appreciate the help.
Ed

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom