Utah CWMU for management bucks?

Bkule

There have been plenty of discussions on CWMU deer hunts, but I still find it difficult to fully understand. I have looked at the other threads...apologize if answer is already here....but I did not see it. So here goes: Is there any management hunt deer tags on CWMU's? Or is it all trophy? Who determines that: the land owner, or the gameys or in consultation.? Is the deadline over for non-res purchase of a CWMU voucher or IS there a deadline? Does the 5 year wait apply to CWMU purchases, or only tag drawing? Many thanks............hope your season goes great...............................WWB

Well if you look at the Big game application book there is only 1 CWMU that has an official Management deer hunt. So I would guess that if you have found others offering a management tag it is them selling one of their tags and they have designated it for a "management" buck. So with that they would get to make the rules on what is a trophy and what's a management buck.

That's just my guess..... But probably easiest way to figure it out is to get ahold of the Operator of the CWMU.

The draw is over to apply for a CWMU tag but you can purchase one from the CWMU still.

Also if you buy a tag you don't have to wait 5 years that only applies to a draw tag.

Not sure if I'm understanding your question or not, but there are a lot of CWMU's that offer management tags. I'm only aware of on offering them through the public draw. I believe they have to go through a special approval process most don't want to mess with. Most operators will sell management tags privately to thin out the old bucks and bulls or bad genetics. They determine what is a management buck and what is a trophy.

Keep in mind non residents can not apply for CWMU's, they have to be purchased from the operator. I believe the operator and the biologist determine if the unit might be eligible to offer management tags to the public draw, but I'm not sure on that.

Thank you, Mtngt.........ya, being a non-resident I don't think I am eligible for a draw CWMU tag, so wasn't after that one......just want to buy one. I have looked at regs, and perhaps there is a deadline for purchase listed, but I can't find it. My call to Utah DWR resulted in 20 min of hang time. Good to hear that there is more than one unit selling mgmt tags. I didn't want to start calling owners if deadline was past, but will now get on it. Maybe I'll get to deer hunt this year...................WWB

As stated above, many CWMUs offer tags at a discount price to hunt management deer. Most of these are not official 'management' tags and are not subject to the laws regarding such. In my experience these are hard to come by and are almost always bought year-after-year. You would almost be better off picking up a regular CWMU tag from one of the tag brokers on the Hunt/Tag classified section of this forum. Seems like there are a few available every year if you contact those guys. ----SS

Thanks. I will put WTB ad here in a little bit. Are the CWMU tags purchased by G&O for resale? I know it is getting late for trying to get a deer tag. Maybe other states are still available. ....WWB

CWMU vouchers can be bought and redeemed any time up till the closing of the CWMU season, which is either October 31 or November 10, depending on the unit.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom