Utah deer rut

B

BiggDogg

When is the rut usually in good swing here in Utah? It is almost the 1st of November. It should be soon, Right? I am planning on bow hunting the extended season this year. I hope to see the deer down lower after some moisture and snow this weekend. What do you guys think?

I think it will be full swing by the 2nd week of Nov. The cold front came today and that should help a ton.

The deer have been showing signs of the rut for a few weeks. I've watched bucks rounding up does like bull elk already. About two weeks ago I watched a rather large fork horn proding 8 does around as they worked down to water. I'm sure he'll get his rear kicked as the rut gets going, but his neck was all swollen up and he was already getting into it. LOL!

Don't count on this weather bringing anything down lower. It takes a lot of snow to move the animals down on the front. After the nightmare they endured two years ago, they didn't come down this side of the boundary hardly at all. Most animals wintered on the Park City / Jeremy Ranch side of the line last year. I don't know about up north, but it was slim pickins last year even after the snows came.

There were no deer or elk on the foothills above my house near Parleys canyon last winter. I used to be able to glass them from my dining room table and last year there was ziltch.

Cheers,
Pete

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom