Utah Desert Bighorn Sheep Units

Trophy_Taker

Hoping to get some input on how you Utah sheep experts would rank the Utah units in regards to trophy quality and numbers of mature rams. I know there have been some recent die offs in several units and it seems that the overall health of the state herd is in decline, any input on this matter?

Henry Mountains
Kaiparowits, East
Kaiparowits, Escalante
Kaiparowits, West
La Sal, Potash/South Cisco
Pine Valley, Virgin River
San Juan, Lockhart
San Juan, South
San Rafael, Dirty Devil
San Rafael, North
San Rafael, South
Zion

I'm not a sheep "expert" but I have a feel for how I would rank them CURRENTLY.

Zion
Pine valley
Kaiparowits West
San Rafael South
San Juan South
Potash
Lockhart
Dirty Devil
Kaiparowits East
Henry Mountains
Escalante
San Rafael North

The top 4 units are still really good, but according to the real experts, the remaining units are pretty tough with some population really struggling.

Are you applying? How many points do you have?

Zeke

Disclaimer: Most of this info is based off hearsay since I have not been in all of them recently.

Thanks for your input Zeke, I consider you an expert when it comes to sheep. I have 15 resident points and know that means I am still likely years away from drawing. I have been putting in for the Dirty Devil but it's time to look elsewhere given the decrease in sheep numbers. I hope to hunt a unit where a 160+ ram is possible, much like your daughters desert from a few years ago.

TTaker,
A 160+ desert ram in Utah is a very tall order!
If you are stuck on something that big you are pretty much limited to Zeke's top two or three units.
In my mind there is absolutely nothing wrong with any desert ram 150 or better, and I am guessing 150 is bigger than average in Utah.

LBH is right ........again!
160" is a VERY tall order in Utah. There's nothing wrong with a trophy 10 year old ram that only scores 145". Remember this is Utah and our sheep are truly different than elsewhere (depending on the unit).
The key is find an old ram and don't worry too much about the inches. IMO
Zeke

After spending a few years around experienced sheep hunters, (Zeke being one of them) I have concluded that age is more relevant than score in relationship to sheep "trophy quality". So as Zeke says a 145" ten year old ram is more of a trophy to me than a 6 year old 150 ram.
That being said, I would consider an application for some of those units in the middle of Zeke's list. If you wait for the absolute top units, point creep could easily take you down the road 20 years before you draw.
I have been applying for desert sheep in Utah now for over 40 years and have still not drawn. I missed applying the first year points came out and you can see where that left me. Despite now being on the top of the point pool, I am still one year away from a guaranteed tag in the best unit.
Regardless of what you do TTaker, I wish you well in your sheep dreams.
By the way, I looked up Nevada's average ram score in 2012 (which has way bigger sheep than Utah) and it was 153.

>A 145" ten year old ram
>is more of a trophy
>to me than a 6
>year old 150 ram.
>That being said, I would consider
>an application for some of
>those units in the middle
>of Zeke's list. If
>you wait for the absolute
>top units, point creep could
>easily take you down the
>road 20 years before you
>draw.

>By the way, I looked up
>Nevada's average ram score in
>2012 (which has way bigger
>sheep than Utah) and it
>was 153.

T_Taker, ^^^^That's probably the best info you've received so far.

Zeke

I formally request that Zeke's post be nuked before it skews the draw odd's more than they already are....there are still some of us hoping for a tag this year Zeke!! JK.

Kind of sad that two of the best units for a lot of years, with a combined 10+ tags now hold the two bottom spots on that list, in addition to the fact that the Dirty Devil was as good as any unit in the state until last year!!....and that South San Rafael has never, ever, consistently produced 160 type sheep....and....

Escalante still produced one good ram last year and I think the Henry unit has potential as well. Kaiparowitz East received a transplant last year and there is alway a chance of sheep crossing out of West subunit......

Just my thoughts....TJ....

Sorry TJ!
My son is in the running for a tag this year too so maybe I just "skewed" him out of a tag.

It certainly is too bad that some of the units have taken such a bad turn. I don't know what the future holds but I do like the fact that the new UDWR director and deputy director are sheep hunters! I think Jim did a great job but I hope we can get a handle on the desert sheep issues before we lose entire units!

It was great to bump into you at the expo! I like chatting with friends more than the actual show. Good luck in the draw!

Zeke

Thanks for all the input. I know that Utah sheep are genetically inferior to neighboring states and that very few 160 class rams inhabit the state. I caught the sheep bug about a decade ago while hunting the NSR with my Dad. We spent over 20 days in the desert before taking an 8 year old sub 150 ram near the end of the hunt. I will likely get this one sheep tag in my life and have about 30 healthy years so I've got to decide if I should wait it out or try for a lesser unit and get to share one more sheep hunt with my Dad.

I certainly would consider sharing one more sheep hunt with my dad as a top priority when appling.

Waiting for years to get that Hype unit for a 'score Ram' sure as hell doesn't mean one would harvest any Ram bigger than a non Hype unit.

5-10 inches of bigger score Ram ( 145 vs 155)would hardly be noticed by 95% of folks that see him on your wall.

Sharing one last sheep hunt with your dad would have a score that would never be matched.

Robb

+3
Trophy, i was in your position a few years ago and with 1-2 points from max. I WANTED to hunt my desert ram and with a little coaching put in for one of the "lesser" units....and had a great time with my brothers and harvested a nice ram....you need to look at it like this, VERY few people get a chance to hunt deserts, put in for whatever unit and be glad your name got pulled....like one of the experts has already stated 10 inches on a ram is only noticed by a few people, a mature ram is the trophy you are looking for..good luck in the draws

Couldn't agree more!

Hunting sheep with family and friends is one of those experiences that stays with you for life, regardless of the "score" of the ram harvested. A mature ram is the goal and definitely part of the experience but the hunt is what makes the memories.

TJ

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom