Utah Desert Failure

Trammer

Please tell me I am wrong. That with the exception of the Zion unit Utah again has fewer Desert Sheep Tags.

You're wrong.... but not by far.
There's one unit where the tags went up by one (1).
My son is the proud owner of said tag.
All other units went down or flat-line.
Zeke

Yessir, Mr Trammer, that's correct.
It's far from an ideal trend and something for which the points-packing applicants should demand accountability.
If we keep it up we'll be right back where we were in (circa) 1967!

Zeke

No Zeke, as I remember in 1967 there were 9 permits in the South San Juan unit alone...1 now.

Grand Slam #911

How many conservation Desert Tags have we got now? Is is 3 or 4 or 5? Statewide, Zion/Pine valley, Potash...?...

I also remember when there were 13 tags on the North San Juan in 1980. Now there are NONE!

Other units have done better and others are worse since the olden days when I first got excited about sheep but you're right about the alarming downward trend. It seems like it's a tragic ebb and flow game with desert sheep.

Zeke

PS: Maybe it was 1963, or somewhere in there, when the season wasn't even open. That wan my point, I hope we're not returning to a CLOSED desert sheep hunt in Utah!

As far as the North San Juan, Utah should take note of how other states that know how to manage sheep, deal with disease. Montana is removing all sheep from the Tendoy Mountains and didnt Nevada kill all the remaining sheep on the River Mountains? Isnt that the only option for a diseased herd? Utah, conversely, just crosses their fingers. Had Utah culled and transplanted the North San Juan 20 years ago, where would it be now? And its entirely possible that because the North San Juan wasnt culled the disease may have found its way to the South San Juan and Lockhart. The same disease may even find its way to Wilson Mesa.Wilson Mesa could be over before it starts. All it takes is a Trammer.Round and round it goes Utah spinning their wheels.

The crash on the North San Juan happened in 1980-81.
There were 13 tags in 1980 and 3 tags in 1981 and it sputtered along for a few short years with just a couple tags.... and then closed forever!

The crash happened thirty five (35) years ago and it would have been nice to see something done in those 3.5 decades.

The biggest issue is that the North San Juan borders the "Park" which has no hunting so total eradication of the herd would have been impossible because of the ever-present governmental red-tape.

There are some really smart folks out there but they must not have found their way into the government. Especially the "total protection" factions!

Here's yet another case where total protection equals death to a wonderful herd of desert sheep!

You're correct, Trammer, there's no doubt about the fact that this has and will continue to affect the herds in the surrounding units.

Oh, what could have been.....

Zeke

No, Nevada did not kill all the sheep in the River Mountains. There are still plenty of sheep eating the grass in Hemenway Park in Boulder City.

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I just stir it.[/font]

1486img20150628wa0004.jpg

781img20141214wa0003.jpg

7714img20141214wa0002.jpg

1881img20150629wa0001.jpg

thanx for the pics NevadaBighorns. So where did Nevada Biologists draw the line on the outbreak in the River Mountains?

I agree with you Zeke about Government red tape. That is why the Las Vagas range has been so slow to recover from its Lion problems: the Buffoons at Desert National Wildlife Refuge would not allow Lions to be removed from the Refuge.

I do agree with you Zeke. It could be more of a Federal Failure than a State Failure for the greater San Juan although I am not aware of anyone at the state level or UFNAWS level calling for the removal of all sheep on the North San Juan.

I also think that the science behind the need for a complete fresh start after disease issues came about in the 1990s. Not sure the science would have supported it in the early 1980s. What kind of insane National Park Policy allows for wild sheep to be transplanted into National Parks but forbids removal and restart after a disease event?

I don't believe that Nevada's NDOW has done anything with the sheep in the River Mountains. They are basically letting nature run it's course from what I understand. They are just not taking any more sheep out of the River Mountains for transplants. This used to be a good stock for them every year.

I believe that is correct downsouth. The Rubies and East Humboldts are the only place I am aware of where NDOW tried to depopulate a mountain range to get a clean start. The jury may still be out on the success of that.

So are the River Mountains considered an isolated herd? I thought that they interacted with the Black mountains?

If the truth were really known I doubt if there are ANY isolated herds of sheep in Nevada. Sheep, especially rams, wander farther than one would think. I don't know for certain but I would be surprised if there is not interchange between the Blacks and Muddys with the Rivers. I could certainly be wrong though.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom