utah early season rifle success

Lukegarrett2002

Going into this hunt i wasn't really expecting much out of the chalk creek unit, i was thinking i would be lucky to shoot a three point, but anyways due to my dads busy work schedule we couldn't go up on opening day and we ended up going up there on Thursday. we woke up early in the morning and headed up there. i had done a lot of scouting on google earth and onX maps and had everything planned out. once we drove to basically the top of the mountain a nice 4 point buck runs across the road and it wasn't legal shooting light yet and we had a truck behind us breathing down our neck so shooting him from the truck wasn't an option, we waited a little for the sun to come up, the deer had completely ran over to the other side of the mountain, boy i tell you one thing that mountain is slick the rocks love to go flying out from under you feet i slipped and fell multiple times trying to get up the mountain, but i got up there while my dad stayed at the truck. Once i got up there the deer had not gone far, they were sitting in a patch of ultra thick stunted bushes that i do not know the name of maybe mountain mahogany but definitely not the tree kind all i know was they suck. i took a 200-250 yard shot with my grandpas old model 70 chambered in 270, 2 shots and he didn't go 10 feet. in all of the excitement i kinda forgot hunter orange so i ran back down the mountain put all of my stuff on and hike back over the mountain, those bushes were so thick and terrible to walk through and i gauged were i shot him off of the wrong tree so were walked around in there for about 30 minutes and we were starting to lose hope but my dad found him about 100 yards down the mountain from were i mistakenly thought were he was at but he was in the same spot the whole time. that deer was a really big bodied deer and kinda reminded me of walking up on my elk a few years back. this deer had a ton of fat and was a pain in the butt dragging him out to a more preferable spot to get to work on him. i am super pleased with how the hunt went, i had a ton of fun and this hunt was far from disappointing.
stevegarrett101119-1.jpg
stevegarrett101119-2.jpg

Good job and nice write up. I think most of us if we've hunted long enough have miss marked an animal we've shot, if's just really nice to see someone honest enough to admit it. I hope it's the beginning of many great bucks you get. Enjoy your time with your dad memories you will have forever.

Congrats on your hunting success and time well spent. in a couple of weeks I'll be heading out with my 3 sons, this is a new activity for all of us, only got a single hunt under our belts from last year, so we hope to make this a regular event and build many long lasting memories like yours.

Great write up and pics, hope to see more!
Cheers

Your buck could be a twin of my first buck, but I shot mine 52 years ago. He is far from the biggest buck I have ever taken, but I still honor his memory as his antlers hang above my reloading bench. It sounds like this hunt is one for the memory books for you and your Dad. Well done!

If I were You I'd pack a small roll of orange Ribbon!

In the country you were Hunting you could've used one piece & saved yourself some time!

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom