Utah goat units

tthorpe13

I am trying to decide which goat unit to put in for this year. I think I have it narrowed down to Provo Peaks and Ogden Peak. Does anyone have any info on either of the units such as caliber of billys, number of billys, difficulty of hunt etc.. I have eight points and probably won't draw but you never know.

Willard Pk (Ogden) is going to have about 10 Nannie tags so you would have those hunters around while you where chasing a Billie. something to think about... crowd control on a Goat hunt..

Your 8 pts might be better served over in one of the Uinta units.

I second Pleasedears post, I live right below Willard and Ben Lomond peaks, There is usually 3 groups and they hang out on the cliffs in a small area, with the number of permits offered you won't be alone. access is good due to skyline trail going right over the top, you will have Mt.bikers, hikers, ATV's, horse's, ect...If you draw it go early before the Elk hunters get up there as well as the OIL Ogden Moose hunt.

Nate

Just wondering. I have only 2 pts for goats and 10 for bison in utah. I looked at the odds for the Henry Mountains which are poor. They cut permits, trying to expand the herd. My question is how difficult and remote is the Uintas goat hunt? Is it a 5 mile horse ride? Back pack? 15-20 mile horse ride to goats? Sucess rate? The odds are not too bad in some of the units. Thanks

I took my goat on Timp this year - it's a one day hunt with around 40 goats to pick from - maybe 5 good ones.

If you draw this area I'd be glad to help you out.

Stick with the Buff hunt. If a guy wouldn't see-saw back and forth on species, you would have 12 pts and a tag for your buff.... The hell with odds.... someone draws every year and the odds get screwy from it....

PD is right. If people ever expect to draw they need to pick an animal and go for it until they draw. I would say stick with bison. If they are expanding the herd, in 5 years or so, they are going to be giving a lot more tags and you will have 15 points.

I was putting in for bison, and for health reasons quit, but now I have 5 bison points and 4 goat points. Neither is doing me much good. 9 points for one or the other would have me in good shape. Don't give up on bison is my advice.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom