Utah Lions

Hawkeye

Long Time Member
I have spent a fair amount of time on the Wasatch Front bowhunting the last few years and I have never encountered a mountain lion or seen one on my trail cameras. That all changed on Saturday when I pulled the SD card from one of my cameras. To my surprise there were no bucks on my camera but there were three mountain lions. Perhaps that explains the lack of deer?

Cougars3.jpg

Cougars2.jpg

To the lion experts out there, is this a mother and a couple of juveniles? This is fairly close to SLC in a high traffic area.

Hawkeye

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

Dont tell this to CATMAN and a few others out there that are houndsman, but there are no cats/lions in utah. None what so ever. These are probably the only 3 there are in all of utah.

i have 3 bullets with there name on them..... come hunting season there getting gut shot, dam lions. beautiful animals but deer come first. great photos!

I saw a huge tom with my Dad and 9 year old son last year on the extended hunt in November up one of the major canyons near SLC. I was higher up on the hill but my Dad and son could see the tom from the road and watched him for over 20 minutes. They had several treehuggers come walking by and when they showed them the cat, the hippies freaked out :) Pretty cool experience for my son to see that!

There are more cats around than people realize I think. Every year we get cats on our trail cams.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-09-12 AT 06:40PM (MST)[p]Never said there weren't lions. Just not the numbers that some think. Yes to answer your question.....its a female a
nd kittens. Thanks for pics

Great shots. Yes, looks like a female with two sub adults. I love the shot of them playing around. They won't bother your deer herd much. Lions effect less than 5% of the deer population. Plus we want them around so we can chase them and run the hounds during the winter.

http://www.livinthedream-rusty.blogspot.com/

Jimshorts said: "They won't bother your deer herd much. Lions effect less than 5% of the deer population."

I am no expert on mountain lions but I have read several studies that say a mature lion in mule deer coutry will kill an average of one deer a week. I am curious as to the basis of your statement that lions effect less than 5% of the deer population. What is the support for that statement?

Hawkeye

Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

That is what I thought.

Hawkeye

Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

>Great shots. Yes, looks like a
>female with two sub adults.
>I love the shot of
>them playing around. They won't
>bother your deer herd much.
>Lions effect less than 5%
>of the deer population. Plus
>we want them around so
>we can chase them and
>run the hounds during the
>winter.
>
>http://www.livinthedream-rusty.blogspot.com/

lol dont effect deer? 5% saying that is true, then at utahs 300,000 deer thats 15000 deer killed by lions. thats more then killed by hunters. utahs gen deer success is like 15-20% out of 70,000 thats roughly 12000 killed by hunters. you want them around not we. lol. pretty sure that female with to young lions by its side is probably ravishing deer to teach them how to kill.

One of the most in-depth studies on mountain lions recently came out of BC Canada and the numbers of dead deer well exceed the traditionally held number of a deer per week.
I don't have the link or I'd attach it. I'll bet someone here has it.
Pretty cool pics Mr Hawkeye.
Zeke

I'm not an expert but up here on the Cache, they declared war on the cats for several years, killing several hundred in a short amount of time. Killed so many that alot of the houndsmen sold off their dogs and quit chasing.

Long story short.....Deer herd sucks worse than ever.

>One of the most in-depth studies
>on mountain lions recently came
>out of BC Canada and
>the numbers of dead deer
>well exceed the traditionally held
>number of a deer per
>week.
>I don't have the link or
>I'd attach it. I'll bet
>someone here has it.
>Pretty cool pics Mr Hawkeye.
>Zeke

Would be interested in seeing this if you can find it, havnt heard of any recent indepth studies out of B.C.
Would be interesting to see out of what part of B.C. as well.

Yup!

Bucky Chimes right in & still thinks there are millions of Big Cats running around TARDville!

Like SMUTT said!

They thinned em out up there in his neck of the woods & the Deer Herd still SUCKS!

WTF Bucky?

Yup!

Gotta be JUST the Lions thinning the Deer Herd & not the DWR & TARDS!

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

I've got Wild Honey Tree's and Crazy Little Weeds growin around my Shack!
These Dusty Roads ain't streets of gold but I'm happy right where I'm at!
All these Perty little Western Belles are a Country Boys Dream!
They ain't got Wings or MM Halo's but they sure look good to me!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-11-12 AT 04:30PM (MST)[p]Thanks Dave. According to the study, these three cats are likely killing a couple of deer a week. That would put a significant dent in the local deer population in a hurry. I hope that they don't get the buck I have picked out for the upcoming archery hunt.:)

Hawkeye

Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

Hawkeye, don't you mean the buck you picked out for me? There are several, and still holding out that one of the "big boys" shows up.

JUDAS FRICKEN PREIST!!

That's TARDville logic. Somebody gets a trail cam photo of a lion and gets all the TARDians stirred up again about too many lions. How many times have we got to go back over this. Tell me TARDians, if somebody gets a trailcam photo of a wet doe with a couple fawns does that mean we got too many deer in Utah?? Well does it?? Huh??? Geeezz!

LOL Kevin!

LMAO!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-11-12 AT 10:09PM (MST)[p]Kevin-

As a lifelong "TARDian" I will step into this one. I was hoping to get some photos of some decent bucks that were in the area last year. Unfortunately, I did not get a single photo of a buck in two weeks time. I did, however, get these three lions on film on multiple occasions. What does this mean? Perhaps there were so many deer in the area last year that they all moved off into different areas to avoid the competition, thus leaving the area to the lions? Maybe the deer all moved out of the canyon to avoid the trail runners and tree huggers? Or better yet, I bet all of the bucks were mortally wounded last year during the extended archery hunt by unethical archers taking 120 yard shots. I believe that I've answered my own question. Thanks for the help.

Hawkeye

Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

LAST EDITED ON Jul-12-12 AT 04:36PM (MST)[p]
I was not being sarcastic... as mentioned we have been over this before on MM. Lots of people are uneducated on lions. Your studies are going to change depending upon location and eco system. I was referencing Hurleys studies in Idaho with the Idaho F&G. They also showed the greatest predator effect on deer was the coyotes (especially during fawning season) this was predator effects, not cars etc. Weather was the greatest factor. I have worked on lion studies and have been around and worked with lions all of my life. Yes they kill deer, but they also eat everything from squirrels, grouse, rabbits, etc in between larger game kills. You can go on and on with folks that really are not lion experts, but sure think they are... its rare you get anywhere with them.

As a deer hunter and a lion hunter, I want both around

Also, deer wont disappear just cause a female lion shows up with her young. I have trail cam shots of a lion and bobcat showing at our elk wallow the same day bulls are rolling in it and and more elks and deer watering in it.

I just want to say I think they are great pictures and thanks for sharing them.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-12-12 AT 05:32PM (MST)[p]Maybe this will shed some light on the cat boys but i doubt it.

The best chance for bess to breed all the ladies at the bar he hangs out at is going to be eliminating his competition. Sure bess might get lucky and land one but his odds go up considerably if hes not sword fighting with his brother. :)

Same thing for cats. The last thing i want to do with our deer is compete with a bunch of b&c cats/wolves/coyotes and bears. Its already hard enough getting tags.

Besides if you want to see how few cats we have fork over some $$$ to a good houndsman. A good one wont have any problem finding you one. Another thing werent we talking about the cats on the wasatch?

Easy Bucky!

You still haven't answered my question from a couple years ago!

They thinned the Lions out of the Book Cliffs a few years back!

No,they didn't kill all of them!

But they killed enough the Lion Quota wasn't being filled!

I do believe the Deer mighta gained some ground there for a couple years!

Not alot,but some!

Since then TARDS & DWR have been over hunting the Book Cliffs & it ain't what it should be!

What's your Excuse now Bucky?

I've told you for years the Yotes & Poor management have had way more effect on the Deer Herd than Lions ever had out there,WTF?

Let's say we do a 100% kill on what's left of the Lions out there BUCKY!

Years later when there still ain't a Deer Herd left worth a RATS ASS out there what you gonna blame it on then?

Post your BS up!

well ill bite this one sttm. even killing all the lions on the BCs wont help with everyone in the uinta basin being a poacher!thin out the poachers in the basin and the deer will come.

now for anyone to say lions are not having an impact on some herds is ludacris(not the rapper) fact is lions eat deer. yes they eat other stuff but certain parts of the year deer are the main food. the majority of lion food is deer, hence the reason the cats follow the deer herds around like they do. its not just coincidence.

So Are lions the answer to thits it may bee declining herds. yes and no. it really depends on the area. some units might be decling due to lions other could be poachers, some might be habitat, some might be coyotes, some and most are a combo of all

Well F'me ox!

I didn't know Lions eat Deer!

What you Boys can't get through your THICK f'n heads is it's a combination of problems!

Yers ox,We got are share!

Like every other place in this state!

You listed a few of the problems ox,keep listing them!

Then way down at the bottom of your List you can mention GREEDY TARDS & PISS POOR MANAGEMENT!

Someday Reality will set in to some of your Pea Sized Brains!

There;s more lions on the front than most people realize.

Here's a photo from the front a few years back.

Momandtwokittens.jpg

Here's another at a later date.

Daylightlion-1.jpg

I have several others but can;t easily find them but at least you get the drift.

There are a tons of guy who have walked just yards from lions up there, as they lay in wait. They are one super predator!

Have a good one BB

YUP!

It's True!

The wrong TARD walks by He'll be Dinner!

sttm did you catch the sarcasm? I dont think so. anyway like i said there is a slew of problems and lions are one of them.

Ya,I caught it!

Now list the other 25 problems with the TARDville Deer Herd & Quit PUSSYFOOTIN around!:D

I had one in my head lamp at about 5 yards on the front a few years ago and I found one in colorado last year sitting 10 yards away durring the day. It was so hot he wasnt going to give up his shade.

They dont really bother me except i get tired of finding deer stuffed in the bushes. I have one area ive literly found about 20 lion kills in a few seasons.

dead lions eat no deer , now how hard is that,,,,one lion is to many,with the deer heard in the shape its in,,,, one wolf , one coyote, one to many,,,,,,,,

LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-12 AT 05:05PM (MST)[p]Here are are a few more and a different shot of one of the lions and kittens I p;posted above.

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Have a good one and know you are being watched! BB

>dead lions eat no deer ,
>now how hard is that,,,,one
>lion is to many,with the
>deer heard in the shape
>its in,,,, one wolf ,
>one coyote, one to many,,,,,,,,
>

Your Grammar SUCKS elkun!:D

So tell me elkun?

If we kill all the Cougars!

Who's gonna fix me Lunch in the Big City?

Had to laugh on the Pauns last year. I was talking to the DWR biologists about predator control and this one person who was apparently helping the division on a predator control kept saying that cougars don't affect the deer as much as hunters think. I finally said, "Do you by any chance run dogs"? What do suppose his answer was? YIP!! Not that anything is wrong with that, but I would really like to see an un-bias study in Utah without the outside influence sitting in the other seat of the UDWR truck.

I still think that hounders are part of the problem, by mud-ing the water from what the facts really are and, "yes" we really need them - "Hounders" that is.

Good holy chit! Do lions kill deer, well hell yes they do. They don't eat berries.

Will killing every last cotton picking lion in state bring the deer herd back or even make a noticable difference. Hell no!!!!

Seen it on the Cache.

Will killing every last coyote, lion, bear, poacher, sloppy hunter (I'm not pointing fingers but some buttholes on this very website think just because they have a tag they have the right to kill a deer, even after they've wounded one! JUDAST!!) bring the deer herd back? Probably........but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Good grief. This is top ten dumbest threads.

Hey SMUTT!

You are WRONG!

This is the Millionth Dumbest Thread!

take the deer of the mountain , see how long your lions last on rabbits and squirrels, ect, maybe its you that dont know your lions,,,,

sttm. grammer sucks, 20 beers in, a 30 pack. lets test your grammer,,, road side cougars are a differnt breed, we will allways need them,,,just dont try feeding them squirrels and rabbits,

elkun!

I know a Cougar when I see one!

yes you do . and her boyfriend is way bigger than you,,,,drives a bigger truck to,,,,

Well elkun!

I never claimed my Truck to be very Big!:D

Most of Utah is good at one thing ,,
Killing piss cutter bucks and lions that just lost their spots!

2X too many deer tags on most units,
This results too every 2 point that runs across the hill getting shot .....

And UNLIMITED HO lion permits sold on most units ..
This results to 80% of the 2 year old cats getting caned!

The Wasatch front, the SL county portion, is the exception
for cats, Hound dogs are outlawed there ..
So you front guys, and deer, will be dealing with high lion
numbers......mini Cali, in SLC.

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom