Utah Moose

JumpinJ

Didn't see much talk or photos regarding moose taken or seen in Utah this year. I have been putting in for the North Slope area for what feels like a lifetime. I have 17 resident points and couldn't draw a stick figure let alone a hunting permit.

I've looked at the draw odds, even CWMU odds. Some units have better odds but do they hold good number of bulls?

I'm looking for some advice (good or bad) on other hunt units from some of the MM moose hunters.

Thanks in advance.

I drew a Utah tag this year and harvested a bull on the Cache unit. Big area to hunt and seen a decent amount of moose, trophy quality was lacking though. Last year i think there was 26 tags issued and this year there was 9. So the DWR is either cutting tags to improve the age of the bulls or the herd is hurting.

The South Slope has been suffering for a few years now for bigger Bulls.
A Brain Worm or something like it is not letting the Bulls live past about age 4.
I seen several Bulls this year & the biggest was a medium sized Bull.
Kinda sad not seeing a Bruiser once in a while but it's been a few years since I've seen anything big.
I only have bad news,hope it helps though.

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

hunted 13 days this year and 6 days last year did not see a good bull. son and grandson shot small bulls last of hunt both hunts. this was on cwmu. in northeastern utah. save points for .a year or two. unless you have a cwmu with known res. big bulls. this brain thing has done a lot of damage to older bulls.

I hunted the Wasatch this year. I think I passed on 9 bulls before I pulled a trigger. I should have shot one of the bulls I passed on but thought I would find a bigger bull and I regret that decision. The bull I passed was in the low 40's and the bull I killed was 37". I hunted 9 days so I gave it some decent effort and my suggestion is that you be realistic in your expectations and enjoy the experience but don't expect a 50" bull around every tree. I would be willing to help anyone who draws that hunt in the future.

My dad has max points for Moose and he puts in for the one tag on Deseret since the quality is not good anywhere else. Sad but true. I was lucky and drew in 1993 and could hunt for all of September and October. I finally shot about the 20th bull we found. It was a great time with family and today I could not find a bull even remotely close in size to the one I shot previously on the Cache. More of a meat moose hunt anymore than a trophy moose hunt.

I've been calling it for years. Utah's moose hunting is in the dumps. Save your points and hope for the best if you're looking for a big bull. Or be willing to dump your points on a meat bull just to get out of the game. That's where I'm at.

There's gonna be a few big bulls killed next year but very very few, and it's only getting worse IMO.

I vote for making all OIL points in Utah good for all OIL species. I want out of the Utah moose game!

I drew the Cache four years ago, I ended up shooting a 43" bull (4 1/2 years old). I was after a 49-50" bull, saw him opening morning. He headed for the tress first light opening morning, and that was it with him, I did find one of his sheds. He scored 8 points better then the one I shot, would have been a B&C bull. Found another monster the next year. My cousin went after him, they never found him. The next year my friends buddy drew. They found him in the North part of the Cache, then lost him two weeks before the hunt opened. I let them know where I had seen him the year before during the muzz deer hunt. They ended up getting him where I told them to look, I think he was at 50". Those are far and very few in-between on the Cache. My cousin that was chasing that big one two years ago ended up with a 37" bull. That's about the average on the Cache (might be lower). The biggest bull I saw on the Cache this year would have gone 35", if that. Like the rest have said, they are down. My cousins ran into wolves twice during the elk hunt up in the temple fork area. If that's the case, you can kiss the Cache good bye for good. Either way, numbers are down and the size is down. Hope that helped out.

I was lucky and drew my Kamas moose tag this year and only had 6 points. The hunt was a blast. Seen alot of moose and there is only 4 tags for that unit. Didnt see another moose hunter the entire hunt. I ended up with a bull that went 41". I saw one that was wider and taller but it didnt have the palms that I was looking for. Easily the funnest hunt Ive ever been on!!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom