Utah Newfoundland Mountains Access

awbmab

My dad drew the newfoundland bighorn tag at 82. He has been out a couple of times this summer with no problems. He drove out today and the railroad has been raised about 2.5 feet making it impossible to get over with vehicles. Does anyone know any other access routes or has anyone been out there and know a way around? His hunt starts Nov 1.

You can get in two ways without going through the causeway. The causeway is a heck of a lot quicker though but it sounds like that is a no go now. if you go up north take interstate 15 from slc to interstate 84 at tremonton, then get off high way 30 take it out to grouse spring road. then take the road going back east to the mountains or you can take interstate 80 from slc and take the pilot mt road just before wendover if my memory serves correct you take the salt flats exit, then it will take you to the train tracks and causeway road from the back way. hope this helps its been years since I have been out that way but those are the two alternates I know of.

He will still have the same problem. The road is on the North side of the tracks, and he still has to cross them to get to the mountain. That is so not cool. The is no other access to them.

I'd call the DWR, and have them contact the railroad to get this access point fixed asap.

Yelum

Theres logic, and theres women. They don't go together.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-13 AT 05:03PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-13 AT 04:21?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-13 AT 04:16?PM (MST)

Could you take some atv/auto trailer-type ramps and just go over the tracks? They probably ought to be insulated on the railroad end, though, so they don't trigger an oncoming train signal.

Another edit: On second thought, there's probably some d*** law or regulation that would get you in trouble if you tried my suggestion, so I'm typing a disclaimer. I'm not going to bail you out of jail!!!!

Talked to the DWR and they have an agreement with the railroad that the railroad maintain access across the tracks, so hopefully the DWR will put enough pressure on them to get it done quick.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom