Utah NR shed hunting ban

Butts

Looks like Utah has some traction on imposing a shed hunting ban for NR Dec.31-May 1st. You Non rezzys got to be heartbroken.. I can’t imagine what the hunting landscape looks like in a decade. Thoughts? Idaho, Colorado,Nevada etc.. to follow suit. WY leading the way.

In Co you can pick them up whenever if you are wealthy enough… otherwise get in line and wait till May 1 plebe! Don’t even think about touching them while Turkey hunting… you definitely don’t disturb the animals doing any kind of recreational activities, expect shed hunting prior to May 1

I am guessing the WB is more restrictive on shed hunting than this DWR proposal.

You’ll see the NR season, but I would not be surprised to see more regulations added by the board.

It's pretty sad.

Would be nice for the outdoorsmen if the public land western states could agree on not f-ing the other states.

Agree on % of tags, and prices for NR of those states.

Agree to make ALL public land accessible to folks from those states

Agree to include Sheds as part of the Lacey Act, then all these stupid shed laws wouldn't be necessary at all

Agree to allow boats and sxs back and forth without special tags.

Agree that Cali and Texas doesn't get to be allowed in this compact

Rock bottom if you have to slum it in Utah for sheds. One of those feel good laws.
Yeah giant deer and elk Utah produces must be rock bottom. Sure the GS elk and deer hunting is good in Wyoming compared to most states, but your quality isn’t all that great anymore. You have 2 maybe 3 good gs units and 2 limited quoted units. I can think of double the units GS in Utah producing better bucks than Wyoming. I’ll put the pine valley and the wasatch front right up against your beloved Region G and H to start. And you’d give your left nut to hunt the pauns, henries or any southern Utah elk tag. You’re lucky you have your little wilderness law protecting the cry baby residents. That law is like throwing two pro boxers in the ring and one gets headgear (that’d be Wyoming). But hey fish all you want in the wilderness. The only thing holding your little Wyoming pipe dream together is the population. How long that holds who knows? But you will be in a point system within 5-10 yrs and that’s a fact. Don’t believe look at the Arizona Strip it used to be OTC and same with the henries.

Yeah giant deer and elk Utah produces must be rock bottom. Sure the GS elk and deer hunting is good in Wyoming compared to most states, but your quality isn’t all that great anymore. You have 2 maybe 3 good gs units and 2 limited quoted units. I can think of double the units GS in Utah producing better bucks than Wyoming. I’ll put the pine valley and the wasatch front right up against your beloved Region G and H to start. And you’d give your left nut to hunt the pauns, henries or any southern Utah elk tag. You’re lucky you have your little wilderness law protecting the cry baby residents. That law is like throwing two pro boxers in the ring and one gets headgear (that’d be Wyoming). But hey fish all you want in the wilderness. The only thing holding your little Wyoming pipe dream together is the population. How long that holds who knows? But you will be in a point system within 5-10 yrs and that’s a fact. Don’t believe look at the Arizona Strip it used to be OTC and same with the henries.
Hahahahahahs thanks for the laugh this morning

I fixed it for you.

True! This is a terrible time of year to live in Colorado, I cant even look at animals thru the scope without fear of persecution. Mostly on the social media Im seeing a free for all in Utah with a lot of NONRES and RES shed hunting "influencers" chasing down every shed they can find, creating a feeding frenzy. I am aware of WYO restrictions.

I guess what im saying is within 5 years youre probably looking at UT, ID, WY, MT, & CO all going to May 1 shed season openers across the board RES and Non RES on all public lands.

Agree!

How does any state regulate what can or can’t be picked up and collected off of federal lands, by whom, and when? once these are considered objects and no longer wildlife owned/held by the state, sounds like the feds would be the ones with jurisdiction, no?

I’m not sure it is the same but that is just a gut feeling, past the limit of my actual legal knowledge on who owns what on fed lands.
saw from an article regarding Wyoming… same issue though:

Staeben “certainly believes — and I concur — that the [Game and Fish] commission, the department, did not have statutory authority to create a license to collect antlers,” Nesvik told the taskforce on Wednesday. “They believe that it’s unconstitutionally discriminatory to have separate seasons for residents and nonresidents.”

Part of the issue, Nesvik explained, is that an antler is not necessarily the property of the state of Wyoming once it has fallen off an animal.

“We can discriminate against nonresidents for obtaining [hunting] licenses, but those are for wildlife that the state owns,” he said. “If the state no longer owns the antler because it fell off wildlife’s head and it’s no longer wildlife, the thinking here is that it would be discriminatory to have separate discriminatory seasons against nonresidents.”

It’s an interesting discussion. Someone should challenge it in court so we can figure out what the answer is!

$hhit!! And I just bought a sxs to go down there and get my hushin on!

This isn’t fair! As a resident of Idaho I have a right to drag my atv down there ,put on a flat brim hat and track all over the winter range chasing bucks before they drop!!!
I'll ride with ya let's go

$hhit!! And I just bought a sxs to go down there and get my hushin on!

This isn’t fair! As a resident of Idaho I have a right to drag my atv down there ,put on a flat brim hat and track all over the winter range chasing bucks before they drop!!!
When you buy a SxS in Utah, it's now your gawd given right to go wherever you want... Beyond locked gates, off road, into closed areas and especially as close as can to whatever animal you just killed for easier retrieval.... Its right on the Utah registration...

I didn't look at it that way. I just think it is rock bottom if people have to go to other states to find sheds. I wouldn't travel 50 miles to hunt sheds in Wyoming. Leave the sheds to them. So I don't care whatever they want to do.

saw from an article regarding Wyoming… same issue though:

Staeben “certainly believes — and I concur — that the [Game and Fish] commission, the department, did not have statutory authority to create a license to collect antlers,” Nesvik told the taskforce on Wednesday. “They believe that it’s unconstitutionally discriminatory to have separate seasons for residents and nonresidents.”

Part of the issue, Nesvik explained, is that an antler is not necessarily the property of the state of Wyoming once it has fallen off an animal.

“We can discriminate against nonresidents for obtaining [hunting] licenses, but those are for wildlife that the state owns,” he said. “If the state no longer owns the antler because it fell off wildlife’s head and it’s no longer wildlife, the thinking here is that it would be discriminatory to have separate discriminatory seasons against nonresidents.”

Lacey Act fixes everything

I'm not a big shed hunter. I have a big collection though from when I was younger and you could pick up several sheds during hunting season. It has really become a huge issue the past several years. My prediction is sometime in the near future states will start to regulate this the same way they do with hunting - you will need to apply for a license and they will offer limited number of tags. Imagine building preference points for a chance to draw a tag to pick up some sheds!!!

i would call this 'tell me you're from Utah without telling me you're from Utah"

i can see the posts now. "20 points for sheds this year, so pumped!!" :ROFLMAO:
That’s nothing. Just wait till you see the large posse photos of 20 to 40 guys poising with the wealthy shed tag holder that just flew in to pick up the shed. And then we will read all the stories of shed guides blocking roads etc waiting for their clients to fly in and collect their trophy shed. 🤣🤣🤣🤣😎
And then their will be the high fence pen raised shed hunts. 🤣🤣

Ban non-resident shed hunting and non-residents pheasant hunting - just give us a few more elk and mule deer tags.

That’s nothing. Just wait till you see the large posse photos of 20 to 40 guys poising with the wealthy shed tag holder that just flew in to pick up the shed. And then we will read all the stories of shed guides blocking roads etc waiting for their clients to fly in and collect their trophy shed. 🤣🤣🤣🤣😎
You’ve got it down! 😂 👊🏽

now i kinda want to see a point system

I've got 19 NR points for elk and mt goat and 15 for all the other species. How do I start to accumulate points so I can go on a OIL shed hunt before I'm too old to get out of the truck?

And utah will let the worthless SFW or MDF take control of those tags and sell them out to the wealthy

I always thought it was cool when I found a shed (and to be honest I leave most of them in the woods because I hate carrying them around) but people who go hunting for them have way too much free time on their hands. Don't you MF'ers out west work? I see videos of people lined up days ahead of time to get onto refuges to shed hunt and I am just scratching my head. Must be a lot of money in them I guess??

I could care less if they ban me from shed hunting. lol

I read an interesting article about Boulder County had put a ban on hunting, and the USFS has stepped in and said Boulder County has no right to impose such ban on the property that is under the USFS jurisdiction.
I do believe we will probably see the USFS get more involved In some of these issues.
Once this all starts it might not always go the way we hunters want.
I copied and pasted the reason the USFS gave that Boulder County had no right doing what they had did.

"In contesting the hunting ban, the USFS cites the 2019 Dingell Act, which requires federally owned public land to be “open to hunting, fishing, and recreational shooting … unless the Secretary [of Agriculture] closes an area in accordance with [the Act].”

The USFS is not taking issue with the recreational shooting portion of the ban, which was passed according to a state statute regarding population density. Instead, the agency argues that Boulder County doesn’t have jurisdiction to enforce the blanket hunting ban in the Sugarloaf area"

I can’t believe the decisiveness between us hunters as a collective group.
This is exactly what elite’s want us to do. Take a small portion at incremental time periods.
When has tag cuts and season length ever been “upsized” over the last 25 years.
It seems it’s been normalized… take a bit, not give it back.
What we have now is all we are ever going to have unless we fight..
yeah whatever. If you got a brain in your head talk about your states initiatives.
Sheds whatever… they will take,take,take and take some more. Writing is on the wall!

Rock bottom if you have to slum it in Utah for sheds. One of those feel good laws.
Good hell you have something to say about everything!
How do you know if someone is from WYO? Give them two minutes and they will tell you. Look at all my buckin cowboy stickers on everything in own, oh and don’t forget 307!
Reminds me of Texans

Good hell you have something to say about everything!
How do you know if someone is from WYO? Give them two minutes and they will tell you. Look at all my buckin cowboy stickers on everything in own, oh and don’t forget 307!
Reminds me of Texans
Tell me you’re from Utah without telling me you’re from Utah.

Sorry your feelers got hurt!

Nevada would benefit most from banning Utahrds. I already emailed NDOW to copy Utah. This regulation is laughable. Utah doesn't have a NR shed hunting problem but Nevada does. 90% of shed hunters in NV ******* live in Utah. Your flat brimmers have ruined shed hunting across the west. I sincerely hope NDOW makes a NR ban until May 1st.

Slumming it in Utah involves a dirty MTN dew, a Thursday night, and your strongest legged friend under the the bed at BYU.

I'll get you a copy if the Utah Slang Dictionary so you don't make such mistakes again.
And of course Chester and Chag in a two man tent man handling sausages in a blanket…

Nevada would benefit most from banning Utahrds. I already emailed NDOW to copy Utah. This regulation is laughable. Utah doesn't have a NR shed hunting problem but Nevada does. 90% of shed hunters in NV ******* live in Utah. Your flat brimmers have ruined shed hunting across the west. I sincerely hope NDOW makes a NR ban until May 1st.
I take it you cover your eyes when you go through the southwest desert, pine valley and deep creeks. 😂 I see plenty of Nevada plates there.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom