Utah Preference Points

I

IDAbowhunter

As a non-resident who has never hunted Utah before, I would like to start collecting preference points. How do I do this? Do I go online and just apply for a tag after Feb 1st or what?
Thanks.

Febuary 1st. you can go online to wildlife.utah.gov and you can either apply for the species you would like to hunt. You can also go online, and just buy a bonus point if thats all you would like. Either way you still have to buy a hunting license, which is $65 dollars. Non-resedents can now apply for all species in Utah. Hope that helps and answers all your questions!

IDA, for the $5, $6, $7 (whatever)application price AFTER you have bought the license, apply for every species you think you'll ever want to hunt.

I don't think I'll get a UT tag for many years but I'll be dangerous in draws for 5 different species every year....And someone has to draw.

I liked the days where a guy could get a Utah preference point for $5. That was the best bargain in the world. Those days are long gone.

Steve

Non res here also. 1st time to start applying in Utah. Can you buy pref points as well as bonus points or do you have to pick your poison?

Bonus points are for LE and OIL tags, Preference points are for General deer only.

so yes you can get BP and PP's at the same time

NMWAPITI
AND ALL OTHER NON-RES

GO TO WWW.WILDLIFE.UTAH.GOV AFTER FEB 1

BUY A $65.00 LICENSE AND APPLY FOR THE BEST TAGS IN THE WEST
!!!

ALSO GO TO HUNTEXPO.COM FOR MORE CHANCES AND HELP SUPPORT WILDLIFE.

LET THE HATE BEGIN.

HAPPY HOUR DOESN'T START TILL 3 OR 4!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-31-10 AT 12:44PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-31-10 AT 12:39?PM (MST)

IDAbowhunter,

Make sure you take a good long hard look at the NR quota (5%) and new multi-species application policy and 2009 draw odds. Half the 5% are reserved for the top point pools so you can forget about those, so you are elligible for 2 1/2% for many many years. I have to tell you if it were me I'd not recommend getting in the game at this point. I'd invest my money in more NR friendly states first. The only reason I am continuing is I'm stuck with 13 devalued deer points. The value potential is only better than Oregon which I also regret buying into 12 years ago. The NR value trend has been set downward and will only get worse.

Make sure you are applying in NM, CO, NV, AZ, WY, MT before you even consider investing in UT. Really poor ROI now.

The exception is if you are very wealthy. Then you can bid on one of their 100 or so auction permits. I'd stay away from the raffle tags they are horrible draw odds, poor ROI.

Good luck.

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-31-10
>AT 12:44?PM (MST)

>
>LAST EDITED ON Jan-31-10
>AT 12:39?PM (MST)

>
>IDAbowhunter,
>
>Make sure you take a good
>long hard look at the
>NR quota (5%) and new
>multi-species application policy and 2009
>draw odds. Half the
>5% are reserved for the
>top point pools so you
>can forget about those, so
>you are elligible for 2
>1/2% for many many years.
> I have to tell
>you if it were me
>I'd not recommend getting in
>the game at this point.
> I'd invest my money
>in more NR friendly states
>first. The only reason
>I am continuing is I'm
>stuck with 13 devalued deer
>points. The value potential
>is only better than Oregon
>which I also regret buying
>into 12 years ago.
>The NR value trend has
>been set downward and will
>only get worse.
>
>Make sure you are applying in
>NM, CO, NV, AZ, WY,
>MT before you even consider
>investing in UT. Really
>poor ROI now.
>
>The exception is if you are
>very wealthy. Then you
>can bid on one of
>their 100 or so auction
>permits. I'd stay away
>from the raffle tags they
>are horrible draw odds, poor
>ROI.
>
>Good luck.

>IDAbowhunter,
>
>Make sure you take a good
>long hard look at the
>NR quota (5%) and new
>multi-species application policy and 2009
>draw odds. Half the
>5% are reserved for the
>top point pools so you
>can forget about those, so
>you are elligible for 2
>1/2% for many many years.
> I have to tell
>you if it were me
>I'd not recommend getting in
>the game at this point.
> I'd invest my money
>in more NR friendly states
>first. The only reason
>I am continuing is I'm
>stuck with 13 devalued deer
>points. The value potential
>is only better than Oregon
>which I also regret buying
>into 12 years ago.
>The NR value trend has
>been set downward and will
>only get worse.
>
>Make sure you are applying in
>NM, CO, NV, AZ, WY,
>MT before you even consider
>investing in UT. Really
>poor ROI now.
>
>The exception is if you are
>very wealthy. Then you
>can bid on one of
>their 100 or so auction
>permits. I'd stay away
>from the raffle tags they
>are horrible draw odds, poor
>ROI.
>
>Good luck.

I wish there were only 100 auction tags...try closer to 400 (plus 200 Expo tags). Also, NR get over 10% of all OIL tags. They get just about 10% on all other species. Add 'em up.

Grizzly

Give it up ILARCHER! I don't think Utah owes you anything. The fact is.....you probably are close to having a quality deer hunt in Utah if your not stuck on having a Henries tag. There are thousands of people ahead of you in the line so don't fill to picked on. I don't like the expo tags any more than you do.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-10 AT 12:04PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-10 AT 12:02?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-10 AT 11:54?AM (MST)

>Give it up ILARCHER! I don't
>think Utah owes you anything.
>The fact is.....you probably are
>close to having a quality
>deer hunt in Utah if
>your not stuck on having
>a Henries tag. There are
>thousands of people ahead of
>you in the line so
>don't fill to picked on.
>I don't like the expo
>tags any more than you
>do.

Elkoholic,

I did not start this thread, nor any others on here on this topic. Why pick on me? There are plenty of others saying the same thing on similar threads!

IDAbowhunter posted a very good question and I answered it from one NR to another. There are a lot of dollars at stake. I apply in 12 different states, and I monitor each one closely for the best value for my dollar. I answered him as truthfully as I could, given observing UTDOW since 1996. Sorry if I don't candy-coat things like many others like to. Sometimes the truth hurts? But these things are just my opinion based on the facts and draw odds. Nothing more, nothing less.

BTW, No I did not waste my time applying for any of the snowball's-chance-in-hell Henry hunts, not even archery which I would love. I am serious about spending my 13 points and getting out.

Grizzly,

I was so disgusted when it went over 100 I guess I lost count on the auction tags. 400 is simply a runaway train. Ya I remember seeing a list of them in the HF one time and I was like WTF!? Is this for real!? Just an embarrassment.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom