Utah Processors

Meiers Game Processing in Draper does a pretty good job (801) 572-5039. A bit more spendy than the regular ma and pa processing outfits but the quality is there and the packaging is vacuum sealed, not butcher paper.

Mechams Meats in magna does a really good job. Great price super clean and when you do jerky you get your jerky back. It doesn't get mixed like other processors do. 801-250-2488

"We don't have a gun problem we have prescription drug problem."

Trying new things can be intimidating and cause a lack of confidence. It really isn't that hard to do though. There are many ways to learn, books, videos, youtube. etc., I didn't have the confidence either before I started doing it, but I got tired of getting meat back that just wasn't done as well as I wanted or was contaminated with bone dust or other things. There is a local place here, Ashton meats, the locals rave about it. I've had them do a bison, an elk and a deer or two in the past and every one of those animals tasted like bleach to me and I couldn't stomach it. I should have learned by the second animal they did for me.

Many large processors grind up big batches of burger from many animals and then give you a portion from that batch so no matter how well you handle your meat in the field you may end up with someone else's dirty contaminated slop. I've also lived in areas that didn't have a processor nearby so that became a hassle in itself.

I've been cutting up a couple deer today with my boys. It's been a little slower going because they've not done it before so I'm teaching them as we go. We've had some good conversations while doing it and I explained to them that it's important to know how to do it so you don't have to rely on others.

I'd say give it a go and good luck to you. You will definitely appreciate each steak, burger or piece of jerky more when you know you did it all by yourself from field to table.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom