Utah Roadkill Report

P

Prism

LAST EDITED ON Dec-14-10 AT 09:33AM (MST)[p]Let's dedicate this thread to reporting roadkill on Utah's roads.

Hopeully it'll give us an understanding of what's happening to our wildlfe.

List the date, species, and location. Take pictures when safe and practical.

Thanks. This could be interesting...

LAST EDITED ON Dec-14-10 AT 11:41AM (MST)[p]12/14/10 2 fresh does hwy 40 along jordanelle.

1 unknown deer i80 coalvile
1 doe i84 henefer railroad kill

a 2x3 got hit by a guy driving a new VW bug in the river bottoms on 90th last week. someone stole his left side. and the right side broke off from the impact.

11/13/10 2 Point killed on 12300 south Riverton in the riverbottom...

CSO

It's all about the good times...

MonsterMuleysLogo.png

What's with the November dates. Did you hit the deer? My memory isn't that good.

3 does killed on highway NW of Snowville.

Young fawn killed at mouth of Logan Canyon one week ago. (My truck was parked and I was flashing my lights at the idiot coming up the hill and he didn't even slow down. I was so ticked, I could've killed the guy. I was stopped less than ten feet away and watched that deer get smashed by the idiot in the Suburban....Who doesn't slow down when a parked car is flashing their lights at you as you speed towards them up a hill?)

170" buck killed this week on Cliffside area of Logan.

Grizzly

LAST EDITED ON Dec-14-10 AT 02:30PM (MST)[p]12-14-2010 elk. skinned, legs (at the knees) and head cut off, 11800 South East of the Bacchus Hwy. Someone is an idiot!!

Athens Archery Field Staff
Wicked1 Bowstring Staff

Chalk up 2 more does to I84 near croydon, 1 doe I80 wanship, 1little buck and 1 fawn hwy 40 jordanelle.

Doe hit at mile marker 158 highway 6 east of Santaquin.

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.

Thomas Jefferson

12/15/10

2 unknown 189 Provo canyon. Can't believe I didn't see anything fresh along deer creek, but the snow might have a bunch burried.

Nice Thread Prism!

If we had an actual/accurate count on this it would blow most peoples mind!

December 11th:5 fresh roadkill Deer from Duchesne to Heber,all Does & Fawns from what I could tell,a couple of them hit so hard there ain't even any Hamburger left,right at the bottom of Daniels was a Big Bull Elk Carcass,the whole Head was chopped off!

About a Month or so ago in downtown Myton on Hi-Way 40 a Buck was hit,each horn had been cut off!

2 weeks ago just East of Duchesne,A cow Elk was hit on Hi-Way 40!

A week ago on West Hi-Way 40 2 dead Does Splattered!

A few weeks ago justr decided he wanted a new work truck!:D (This was a Moo Cow though!)

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!
And a good BBQ!
I am Medicine And I am Poison!

I know allot get killed by accident but a short time ago there were some high school boys that would heard the deer off a golf course towards the road and a guy in truck would hit the deer on purpose as they ran across the road. Who knows how many these unethical weaners killed or injured.

Oh and add one more small buck to the list in the Mt. Green area. Antlers were all broken up so don't hurry to try and find it so you can cut the head off.

Two does hit HWY. 56 west of Cedar near pinto two days ago. One doe hit next too hospital in cedar about a month ago.

Sure would like to see the count of roadkill between Blanding and Monticello. That 20 miles of Hwy should be called "Blood Alley" so many get killed there, Wish SFW would step up and help get that area fenced or something.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Hwy89 tday just north of I84-----1 doe & 1 buck about 50' from the doe with the horns sawed off right @ the base.

My boss said he saw a 4point get hit this morning in Willard on hwy 89 I believe it is.

Another guy I work with also saw one get hit this morning in Mendon,on whatever hwy it is by Cutler Dam.

B_BOP, there was also a calf elk on the opposite side of the road about 50 yrds to the east, not sure when it was hit but was partialy consumed last week.

Well I guess I missed the Calf!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
And a good BBQ!

Between Duchesne & Current Creek today:

5 roadkill Deer!(Does/Fawns)

1 Cow Elk!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
And a good BBQ!

2 super fresh does on 189 just outta heber. One was hit within the last few hours. Wasn't there when I went to Provo.

2 More Does on the road from Utahn to Tabiona!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
And a good BBQ!

Here's a freaky buck that I spotted killed December 4th on Foothill Blvd in SLC. At first I was very saddened to see such a big buck downed by a car, but then noticed the other side never grew. In fact, the whole side of his face looks a little off....maybe it's due to being hit by a car, but I just think he's got some freaky genetics. If you look closely, his antler grew out about 4 inches along his skull, and branched out into a little fork. He had a massive body and there were car parts strewn everywhere.

1116679028_3fGTi-L.jpg

TRH

A large 4x4 was killed on Hwy 89 about one mile east of Kanab, Utah on 12-17-10. It had to be close to a 30 inch buck.

You realize the F&G take the cape and head of any "trophy" animal that gets hit right?

I know this cause I went to Strawberry Ice fishing last year, a nice 340 class bull was dead on the side of the road in the morning. That afternoon as we were pulling out past the marina there was the elk's cape and head in the back of a F&G truck. They get them mounted and display them in booths or sell them is what the officer told me.

Prism are you putting this into some sort of Excel sheet with different columns? It would be great to hav so it can be sorted by county or something.

BearCat

No I wasn't planning on that, but it's a good idea.

2 dead does today 2400 south just east of heber.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-23-10 AT 10:43PM (MST)[p]>Unknown deer on hwy40 just north
>outta heber. Got clobbered. Last
>hour or so.

Geez Prism, been driving much? You dont by chance drive a white S-10 pickup do ya?

Athens Archery Field Staff
Wicked1 Bowstring Staff

Last night on the Ioka Lane 2 More Deer hit & Killed!

One of them also killed a Green s-10 Balazer!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
And a good BBQ!

In the last 3 days since the heavy snow hit in
Spanish fork canyon from sheep creek to SF,,
6 deer and 1 elk....

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

2 more Does on Ioka Lane!

1 more Doe on Hi-Way 40 west of Roosevelt!

Sure wish somebody around Monticello/Blanding could update us,I know there's always a bunch of Deer/Elk getting smacked down there!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
And a good BBQ!

1 doe i15 just south of cedar. 2 between cedar and parowan and one doe 200 south parowan.

A Moose near the Bottom of Daniels Canyon a couple nights ago!

5 more Does near Current Creek!

The last Hen Pheasant in the Basin on the Ioka Lane today!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
And a good BBQ!

1 more doe on i15 nephi.

Bummer about the moose. That's one in daniels and in Provo in just the last week! And we really don't have any to spare around here!

Utah is the third fastest growing state in the nation, and I'm sure wasatch county is in the top three fastest growing in Utah. We need to get serious about roadkill really quick around here!

Weather report. There's more snow around here than there was the winter of 07/08 at this time. Not looking really good for the deer.

Between Dec 16th & the 20th some JACKASS shot a Bull & left it to Rot up Indian Canyon!

Another Doe on Hi-Way 40 a few miles East of Duchesne!

Gonna have to set another round bale of hay out in my field,I'm gettin hit perty hard right now with Deer!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
And a good BBQ!

A Fawn hit on the Ioka Lane today!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
And a good BBQ!

seen 6 elk, and 4 deer between duchesne and heber dead on Dec 28th. One fresh deer kill, still have hair on the license plate of my truck...Didn't hurt my truck, but the deer didn't fair as well. It is gonna be heck on the deer/elk this year. Elk are trashing all the local ranchers haystacks. DWR is gonna start shooting again I'm afraid. One nice 6x6 too right here by the house.

Gonna be a long cold winter I'm afraid.

1 doe i15 just north of cove fort today.

Prism!

I think alot of the Names of small towns around here are Indian names or named by early Indians?

I knew you'd Finally fill your 2010 Deer Permit CATMAN!:D

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
And a good BBQ!

This winter is shaping up to be a killer. Deep snow and sub-zero temps. This is not good for our deer fawns. You can get a pretty good idea of how bad deer mortality is going to be based on how bad the elk start hitting haystacks. The deer die on their own, the DWR is forced to kill the elk by complaining ranchers/landowners. It is a crappy situation for both species. I was really hoping for a mild winter and it looked good until mid-December.

To top it all off, the deer pile onto the road where we hammer them in our vehicles. I know there are lots of different opinions on here about how much of an impact deer hunting has on our deer, but with conditions like they are right now you have to admit that no matter how you hunt them, sometimes the deer just can't win and there isn't a lot we can do about it.

Dax

There is no such thing as a sure thing in trophy mule deer hunting.

We got over 2' of snow out of the last storm and it was -11 last night.

That's on top of a foot or two of hard crusty snow that was rained on a few weeks ago.

We need a week or two of some nice weather before we head into the real cold of winter.

Winter seems really spotty this year. Some areas aren't bad and other areas getting hammered. Northeast/central Utah and southwest Wyoming aren't looking too good.

Anywhere from 18"-36" of snow in the Basin!

Temps are low, down to -25 in places!

I'm setting Round bales out for local Deer,Hope to get them through January & February!

Weather is gonna take a Toll on them for sure!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
And a good BBQ!

Sounds like some feeding efforts are in the works.

Keep them fat and sassy Bessie!

One more Deer on Ioka Lane & another Deer on Hi-Way 40 today,sad!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
And a good BBQ!

I have been across highway #208 alot latley Between Highway 40 And Tabiona or Highway 35 anyway simply to many deer to count that have been smacked on the road, seen 4 that were still alive along the shoulder of the road with broken backs or paralyzed, who knows how many have been buried by the snow plows. Snow has settled alot but there is still probably at least 2 ft probably more. sad sad Should be some healthy birds flying around out there though.

1-4-11 two does on highway 18 between Veyo and Central. Going to be a lot more, the snow has them bunched up off the highway.

1-5-11 Two does along highway 6. Both on the Price side.

One live bobcat hunting along the side of the road on the Spanish fork side. Two herds of elk with one big five by five. Two bucks sparing near helper. (was getting depressed with all of the dead ones, so I thought I would throw in a couple of live ones too.)

JUDAS!

Got up this morning & Damn!

The Round Bale I set out just a few days ago is gone!

Took a closer look & the Fricken Elk have found the Free feed!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
And a good BBQ!

You mean land carp... ;-)

I saw 4 more dead deer and red skid marks on i15 last night between st George and Provo last night.

Still cold but atleast it quit snowing for a few days.

Another Doe on Hi-Way 40!

A Buck on Hi-Way 40 near the Ioka Junction,Somebody cut the Horns off!

A Chop(Sawzall!)Job!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
And a good BBQ!

A dead Cow Elk 1 mile West of Duchesne!

3 more dead Deer between Myton & Duchesne!

A couple Deer hit in the Kock field by Oilfield Workers!

2 fresh Deer dead on the back road to Roosevelt!

Wanna see Deer & Elk right now?

Just check the Hay Stacks!

Not looking good!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
And a good BBQ!

4ormore!

This ain't a fraction of what's happening statewide!

If most people/DWR knew how many animals We are losing to RoadKills their Jaws would drop!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
And a good BBQ!

B-BOP
I agree, it's only a fraction as you say.

I'm curious if we took a summary of this small sample set and agreed upon a factor to multiply it by, we could get a pretty good estimate of annual/monthly/winter road kills across the state.

I'd like to see what that estimate would be coming from the honest eyes of this post and compare that to what we hear from some desk jocky taking a wild-ass, under-estimated guess.

I totally agree with that 4ormore!

But here's the deal!

Even though I live in one corner of the State,There are thousands of Miles of roads I'm not traveling even though I get around perty good every day!

Don't know how You'd ever get an accurate Road Kill count?

But I'll Guarantee you numbers are way higher than most people thinks/knows and I will direct that at the DWR also!

No,We don't need Biologists making Stupid Guesstimations & No,We don't need the WB overiding anybody's count!

It's a damn serious problem!

This winter is taking a Toll on Deer again this year!

Yesterday I was in one of Our Wintering Grounds and you can drive right up to any deer or elk you see & they won't even hardly look at you with more than 2 more crucial months to get through,I just get to thinking how easy it is for Coyotes to tip them over in that deep of snow!

Just about every Hay Stack is getting hit hard right now by Deer & Elk,I only can imagine how many Depredation Tags the DWR will be issuing,it's a bad situation!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
And a good BBQ!

2 more Road Kill Deer on the old River road!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
And a good BBQ!

I own an Auto Body repair shop in Tremonton,
since November 1st I have repaired 13 deer
hits, and I am 1 of 3 shops in a small town.

Forgot the numbnuts award to the guys riding horses in the walsburg mngmt area today-flipping brilliant!

Must be shed season....

4 more does/fawns on the back road to Roosevelt!

2 more deer on Ioka lane!

2 more deer on hi-way 40!

Way more dead than what I'm mentioning!

Everywhere you look you can see RoadKills!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
And a good BBQ!
What Voltage of Cordless Sawzall are you running & what's your quickest Drive-By at hackin the Horns off of RoadKills?

Headed up to Strawberry today for some ice fishing.

One doe on Hwy 40 just south of Heber City on west side of road.

2 cow moose in Parley's Canyon. One across from the golf course and one closer down towards the mouth on the north side.

TRH

I didn't do a good job of keeping track today, but I'd say atleast 8 new unknown deer on i15 between payson and st George.

That's one way to skin a cat! Thanks for sharing!

Sounds like the houndsman are having a great year finding lions to chase.

Another Doe on Hi-Way 40!

2 Does and a Dog on the Whiterocks Road today!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
And a good BBQ!
What Voltage of Cordless Sawzall are you running & what's your quickest Drive-By at hackin the Horns off of RoadKills?

This Favorite Shhit is getting old already!

4 Does (2 older but not mentioned here yet) and 1 Buck on I-84 between the canyon and Morgan.

2 Does on Legacy.

1 Doe on 1900 by 21st street in Ogden.

3 does on I84 one looked like strawberry perserves after, fresh and steaming. saw a 2 inch horned buck on highway 89 as well. and another doe in morgan this morning

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom