Utah Rocky

broadfork

LAST EDITED ON Dec-09-12 AT 07:49PM (MST)[p]

I took these photo's near the end of October. He looks like a stud Ram to me. Any guess on score, age? I've never killed one, but would love to some day. Neat animals.

5507img_8976.jpg

4007img_9043.jpg

2288img_8952.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Dec-09-12 AT 08:25PM (MST)[p]awesome pictures.....that last picture shows his size the best..

having a tough time counting the rings on his horns but i am guessing 8 years old......

"STILL REALLY REALLY SICK OF THAT CHEVY AD IN THE ELK FORUM"

Can anybody take my pictures, and impose some lines to show the age. I'm trying to understand how to judge it. I was at the taxidermist's the other day and he had a big ram. Lot's of lines on those horns

http://www.highdesertoutfitters.blogspot.com/

I don't know how to do that. But I'll try and explain it the best I can.
The really dark line just above his ear is his 4 year old ring. Some will
say it's his 3rd. Count the really dark rings only. So going towards his eye I count
two more to make it 6. The last part of horn to his hair line is a half year.. Hope this helps.

I would say 6.5 year old ram. Tight curl, horn length would be less than 35" on the rt and maybe 37" on the lt. I would say 168 at best. Fine looking ram though!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-12 AT 08:33AM (MST)[p]My guess is 6.5 years old. Gross around 165-168. Tight curls 33 left, and 36 right horn in length. Nice ram.

He's a helluva 6.5 year old but the other posters are correct, he's only 6.5.

Tha ram has a really good "look" to him but I doubt he'll score over 165".....but in 3 or 4 years he will!

Cool pics, thanks for sharing.

Zeke

Great pictures thanks for posting. All the informtion above is correct. Knowing the rams of the area will give you an idea on base measurements,lenghth, as well as body composition. I happen to believe he is in the low to mid 160's. His curl doesnt drop to or below is jaw line. Beautiful ram, JB

Broadfork- For me, the easiest way to count rings is to start at the tips and work back. If you will spend some time studying herds of sheep containing various age animals, you can quickly learn to visualize the type of horn conformation that rams carry at each age benchmark. This knowledge then helps a lot in being able to pick out the annual growth sections on a given older ram.

A lamb of the year, by the onset of his first winter at 6-7 months of age usually has small pointy horns maybe 3-4 inches long. Later in life most rams will have slowly busted off these "lamb tips" as they mature. Your ram has "broomed off" quite a bit of his lamb tips.

By their second winter (age 1-1/2) rams horns will look a lot like a mature ewe's horns, except wider at the base when viewed from the side, and typically about 7-9 inches long. At this age they are easy to mistake for a ewe at first glance, and often still hang around with their original family groups.

A 2-1/2 year old ram is a "sickle-horn" and is now unmistakeable for a ram even at a distance, as his bases have now fattened up considerably.

Each year thereafter the horns continue to grow outward from the base, with the annual increase in length being less and less each year, in most cases. Knowing that makes it easier to spot each successive year's growth section.

broadforkram.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom