Utah rolling back the dates in 2010?

blazingsaddle

First question-I have heard both sides of what we think will happen in Utah as far as the dates go for 2010. I heard they were supposed to be changed in 2008, but were not. I have heard that 2010 is the year for the change? Anyone have more thoughts on this?

Second question-I have decided to go with my first intentions, an archery elk tag. But is it worth waiting for 2010 for the supposed date changes? I know it can be done without the rut, I have been successful on mature bulls twice before with little to no rutting activity. But those tags I did not have to wait 10 years for.
What would you "seasoned elk gurus" do? Wait for the possiblity of better dates, or dive in next year? Are the extra days closer to the rut worth waiting one more year?
Thanks in advance!

IMHO no...it's not worth waiting for the possibility of better dates. I had an Ar301 tag in 2002 and that hunt ended on the 16th I believe and I heard one bugle the entire hunt, and I hunted every day but 3. I finally killed a 330 bull on the second to last day and that was the day I heard one bugle. The bull I killed was a spot and stalk kind of deal. Even with the dates changing there is the posibility that the rut will not be hot n heavy by the 18th. More importantly....I think there has been a shift in the size / age of the bulls available...overall quaility is down and the trend is going to continue....so in my opinion take your chance this year.

I spoke with the DWR about a month ago regarding this subject and if everything keeps staying the course, then in 2010 the dates will roll back approximately one week. She said about 10 times that it is subject to change at anytime but as of now the dates would roll back then. I am basing my Utah Elk tag on that they will roll back the week in 2010. I can basically draw any elk unit but I want the week later where I consider this a once-in-a-lifetime tag.

You could also apply for the any weapon, and hunt that same week you are holding out for?

If you aren't against rifle hunting and are sitting the fence on what year to have your tag why not just apply for the rifle tag next year. If you don't draw it then go for the guaranteed archery tag in 2010 with better dates. Just because you aren't guaranteed the rifle tag doesn't mean you have no chance. Why not give it a shot and if you draw great if not then go archery for 2010

bs,

NSH put it better than I did. Apply any weapon this year and archery in 10.

I would rather hunt than apply also, but unfortunately so does everyone else.

A lot of guys don't realize that weather, moon phase, estrous, and other conditions change from year to year and may have a bigger impact on hunting than the exact season dates! You may want to keep that in mind when applying!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom