Utah taxidermist recommendation

U

Utah7mm

Hi all,

It's only June and I'm already planning for the Fall. I'm glaad it sounds like I'm not the only one. I have a favor to ask any Utahns. I have a bird dog puppy who is going out for his first season. I'd like to get some mounts to remember it by (assuming I hit anything flying...).

I know this is a big game BB but does anyone know a taxidermist in Utah who does really good bird work? And just to stay on topic if the hunting gods smile on me and I'm drawn I'll be dragging in a pronghorn too. Any leads or recommends would be greatly appreciated. Hope everybody has a great season.

TIA,
Mike

DIRKS TAXIDERMY
Dirk Barnes does fantastic work on birds and big game. 985-1738. His shopis in Hooper,UT.

Dirk is really good...... but he's kind of boring. He tells you it will be a year and quotes you the exact price you will pay and thats how it shakes out.

Now Dave Butts really gives you your moneys worth. Tells you it will be less than a year (but really turns into three or five) and after the year is up you get to hear him tell you two more months for another couple years. Gives you time to save up, you know. Then when it's done the price has changed by alot............ now thats what I like....... an adventure.

Dirk's work look a little better but you get what you pay for.

Thank you all for the recommend. I'll definitely be looking Dirk up as the season gets under way. Are there any places on the web where I can view some of his work?

Thanks again,
Mike

Bruce Capes does good work. He did the deer my dad shot last year and it looks very nice. I would definitely recommend him.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-04 AT 00:06AM (MST)[p]I'll third or fourth Dirk Barnes, does great birds and his deer are outstanding. Mine will be done soon. less that a year

buckshot

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-04 AT 07:55AM (MST)[p]Mike, Another person you might whant to check out for taxidermy work is Steve Price out of Nephi, Utah. He has won several awards for best taxidermy work in the state. He is also very cheap compared to most.

Steves # 1 (435)-623-1872

Later, James

I'll recommend Darin Gardner, he does nothing but birds and is really really into the artistic works. He's done several birds of mine and does excellent turkeys. He's in Midvale.

HEY BUCKSHOT HOW LONG HAS DIRK HAD YOUR DEER. I WAS JUST WONDERING HE IS SUPPOSE TO BE DOING MY DEER BUT I HAVEN'T HEARD ANYTHING FROM HIM AND HE HASNT RETURNED MY CALLS HE HAS HAD MY CAPE SINCE LAST OCTOBER SO I WAS JUST WONDERING HOW LONG HE TAKES. HE TOLD ME IT WOULD BE A YEAR OR MORE HE DOES AN AWESOME JOB SO ITS WORTH THE WAIT

I'll second Darin Gardner. If you went to the Taxidermy competition this spring at BYU then you saw a lot of Darin's work... and all of it covered with awards!

I have also had Bruce Capes do all of my birds and he does a great job. If I remember right, Darin used to work a little with Bruce. I have seen his work and it is also great. You can't go wrong with either one of these guys.
>>>---------------> Sixgunn

Bruce Capes in Sandy is my recommendation as well. He has done a lot of work for me and my family and has never dissappointed. He is very detailed and takes pride in his work.

Give him a call or visit his shop to at least look at his work and compare prices. His shop name is Animal Art Taxidermy and should be listed in the phone book.

Good luck!!

What are approximate or average costs on taxidermy work here in UT? I haven't had anything done, but I'm hoping to in the future. What would you say are approximate costs on:

- Bull elk - shoulder mount
- Buck deer - shoulder mount
- Pheasant or Grouse - full winged-out wall mount
- Goose or Swan

Thanks!

BUL_KRZY

BUL_KRZY,
Last year I had an antelope shoulder mount done by Bruce Capes and it cost me $475. He is doing a velvet mule deer buck for me right now from last year's bowhunt which will end up costing me $495 + $35 ($530 total) for the injection to preserve the velvet on the antlers.

Elk are in the $600 range and can be more expensive if you go with the open mouthed bugle form or other types of poses.

I am not sure on the latest bird prices.

I would say Ken Kirkham does the best job of any taxidermist I have ever seen. He is a great guy also, loves his work and puts his heart and soul into it. Been doing it for 30+ years and seems to get better with each and every mount he does. He's done 2 deer, 3 antelope, and 2 bears for me. I will take all of my work to him everytime. Best thing about Ken is that you know he will be totally honest with you and give you a fair deal.

Here is his contact information:
Ken's Rocky Mountain Taxidermy
107 E 100 N
OREM, UT 84057
(801) 225-0800

Shelby

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom