Utah to drop residents tag numbers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D

duke1977

Hey Utah hunting friends, I just looked over the 39 page memo from the DWR about droping overall tags in Utah. What they don't tell you is that in almost every unit they dropped Utah residents tag numbers they increased nonresident tag numbers. So it is going to be harder for residents to draw and easier for non residents. What a crock!!!! We have a week to spread the word on this, RAC meetings start next week lets make it known that we want this changed....

How did you think they were going to cover the budget shortfall from an overall reduction in tags?

Nah, they will just do what they have always done and issue the leftover non-res permits to residents. Been that way for years and years and years. Non-residents have always qualified for 10% of the permits and the UDWR has always issued the leftovers to residents.

It doesnt bother me cause like the first post says its either raise your tag fees or issue more non ressy tags. Besides I'd rather compete against someone who hasnt had time to scout and shows up opening day than someone who has had time to scout.

Utah is selling out the residents. Nonresidents can apply for all the once-in-lifetime drawings and limited entry, now get more tags! unreal... I know nonresidents have a less chance of drawing without max points due to application quantity. They still have more opportunity to draw a tag than a resident.

Complaining is always constant. I put in for hunts in other states. 10% of tags is not too much for non res IMO. We have had complaints that non res are getting ripped off. Now the DWR gives them a few more non res tags and here comes the complaints.

If it make the Utah guys feel any better, I hunted in Utah last year as a NR. After what I experienced I will not be applying anytime soon in Utah.

Colorado and Wyoming both give nonresidents a higher percentage than Utah, Is it really a dramatic change? if not why cry about it?

I apply for multiple states every year like the rest of us. I have never encountered a state that caters to nonresidents like Utah. If you are a resident you should get a preference in your home state.

explain that Lbroke? Wyoming gives 25% of total tags to nonresidents, Colorado gives either 20% or 35% of total tags.
Utah screwed nonresidents by allowing them to apply for all species, they also screwed us by taking the expo tags out of the 10% nonresident quotas, so lets hear the reasoning behind your statement?

From my understanding the expo tags are taken out of the nonres and res pool. I dont agree with the expo tags at all! As a resident of Utah we can only apply for 1 once-in-lifetime tag and 1 limited entry. If your a nonresident you can apply for 3 limited entry and 4 once-in-lifetime hunts. Why would you give nonres more opportunity to hunt? 50% of the tags are in a random pool anyway. I get how bonus points work, so the nonres arent getting anywhere because of applicant volume. Just seems a little crazy to me. My debat has nothing to do with percentages of nonres tags.

Lbroke, It is very simple and has to do with math. More non-resident tags equals more money for your wildlife agency. You have a choice in this. If you do not want a few more non-resident tags being sold, you can moan to your wildlife dept.

If they go along with the residents requesting less non resident tags, you can count it as a fact they will up the price for tags and licenses to residents to make up the lost revenue for their dept.

Up to you and other Utah residents to decide more tags to non residents or higher fees to hunt your state.

I have no bones in this matter even though I am a non resident. I have never hunted Utah, do not plan to ever hunt Utah. Utah is that state I have to drive though to get to Wyoming or Montana.

RELH

Relh, You are excactly right. I get the mathematics. I'm just used 2 paying outrageous fee's or upfronting the entire tag fee's when I apply out of state. Doesnt seem to stop most hunters, plus it generates money for states. I guess Utah just has a differant strategy. Just seems a little crazy that nonresidents have more OPPORTUNITY than residents. I'm not moaning, Just giving my opinion.

Just because the opportunity might be there to APPLY for those tags doesn't mean there is more opportunity like you are talking about to DRAW them is there?

I understand the zero comment, but now look at the stats on the NR side and see how much higher they are than your zero and I'll bet it's not much!

I have been applying as a nr for about 8 years in Utah, wether I draw anything or not this year I am not applying again in the future. The main reason is because of the changes to oil application rules. I still apply in my home state and co and nv, I have quit nm also.

You're mad that nonresidents have to pay more each year to stay in the game? If you really understood the math like you claim, you would see that Utah really stuck it to the nonresident by "letting" them put in for everything. The only reason that this happened to nonresidents is because they have no voice in Utah and couldn't fight it politically.

I used to be a Utah resident, I'm a nonresident now. I would gladly trade you places. In fact, I would be thrilled if they switched it up. Let residents put in for everything and only allow nonresidents to choose one OIL and deer, elk, or antelope. That way I actually have a chance of drawing a tag one day.

LBroke:

Please please please fight for you residents to be able to apply for multiple species and we non residents get to apply for only one!!! I am 100% for it.

Your logic is flawed though, that is why I want to swap with you. I 90% want to hunt elk in your state some day, but do put in for deer now that this is an option just to keep up on points.

Fact: my odds of drawing an elk tag dropped by at least 1/2 due to being able to apply for mulitple species. My elk odds in the unit I had been applying went from just above 1% to 0.5% that first year.

Fact: I can only draw one tag. Deer are drawn first and if I am drawn, I only get a preference point for elk that year and I am not even in the drawing for an elk or any other tag for. So it costs us more, and yet we can only draw a single tag.

Looks to me that most of the increase in nonresident tags (at least for elk) are in units that gave us 0 tags last year.

Bottom line is you can have the multiple species applications, I don't want it! And an increase of a handfull of tags doesn't get me to jump for joy. There were no additional tags for the units I put in for. Why they are cutting your tags, you have to take up with them, but they sure are not doing us any big favors.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

>If it make the Utah guys
>feel any better, I hunted
>in Utah last year as
>a NR. After what
>I experienced I will not
>be applying anytime soon in
>Utah.

lrrbo

what tag did you have in utah and what was the problem?

You do realize non residents pay alot more than residents, right?

I don't see a problem with a state trying to bring in more revenue by selling a few more non's.

I understand the math. Understand that they need the revenue. It's a toss up to pay higher tag fees or allow more nonres tags. But if they decide to give more nonres tags, lets have those nonres have to get a guide like Wyoming does.

I'm all for Utah having enough money to take care of the projects that need to be taken care of. I would love to see the quality of animals in the field get better. If the state needs more money, then lets adopt the Wyoming rule of getting a guide with the state getting a small percentage of the outfitter fee.

Just an idea.

Billy,
I think that is a poor idea about needing a guide in Wyoming, Ut, or any state. If people choose to use guide services fine.

Don't make hunting so expensive that it kills the sport we love.

In Wyoming you can hunt small game and fish wilderness without a guide, but need one for big game. There are not many sheep units that a non res could apply for without hiring a guide. What an unfair and injustice law IMO.

Too many hunters and idiots in the field. Lots of small bucks, not what I'm looking for. Southern Area.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-12 AT 11:55AM (MST)[p]Non res odds of drawing le tags in my state have been higher than res odds for a long time, you'l get used to it.

My bone is no stranger to
great envy!

I've seen the same thing in that zone. The blatant disregard for keeping an ATV on a designated trail was astounding. I'm 0-3 as a new-to-archery NR with a general archery tag. I'd have to say the state has gotten a good return out of my NR dollars! Opportunity was there at times...but so were quite a few law breakers that drove in while I hiked. Applying for a UT NR LE tag is for the mathematically challenged. With that said, I'll apply this year under the guise that it took me a couple times to pass calculus!

Tikka, What I'm thinking is more revenue for the state of Utah. I'd rather have them take their money rather than mine. it was just an idea. Layoff. Plus with a hurting economy, it would help these outfitters too. It was only an idea. Doesn't mean the state is going to listen to me.

"But if they decide to give more nonres tags, lets have those nonres have to get a guide like Wyoming does."

WTF? That's kick in the balls right there.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-06-12 AT 10:19PM (MST)[p]>"But if they decide to give
>more nonres tags, lets have
>those nonres have to get
>a guide like Wyoming does."
>
>
>WTF? That's kick in the balls
>right there.

It sure is, especially since I own a house in Utah and pay my taxes faithfully but live mostly in Nv, so I put in and pay through the nose for tags as a non-resident...IF I draw! A guide for hunting in my other backyard would be bs!

Welfare for outfitters, What a great Idea BillyBob.NOT
Put down the crack pipe and get help.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Welfare for outfitters?MT has that program down pat.

My bone is no stranger to
great envy!

>Billy,
>I think that is a poor
>idea about needing a guide
>in Wyoming, Ut, or any
>state. If people choose
>to use guide services fine.
>
>
>Don't make hunting so expensive that
>it kills the sport we
>love.
>
>In Wyoming you can hunt small
>game and fish wilderness without
>a guide, but need one
>for big game. There
>are not many sheep units
>that a non res could
>apply for without hiring a
>guide. What an unfair and
>injustice law IMO.

You can also hike and bird watch then fish for weeks in the WY wilderness all by your lonesome self but then on Day 50 if you want to hunt the same patch of woods you will need to hire a guide. For your safety, of course, wink wink nod nod.

Utah went to the NR can apply for all species the same year they started making you buy a $65.00 huntin license. I think it was a smart decision to lure people to apply for more species. This did not equate into more tags, just more applications. And, as stated earlier, once you draw a tag, your application is removed for subsequent species draws. So there was no more opportunity. But since I have to buy the license, I apply for everything except goat, just like Nevada.

The states have got the science of milking every cent they can out of us BUT we don't have to play if we don't want to, unlike Obamacare.

You think anyone cares?
the bottom line is resi hunters had it to good for too long!!
Utah caters to non resi because of the mighty dollar would you want to pay what I pay ever year to just apply?
and then the tag cost? I don't think so!
If it means easy for me (at a cost ...ya!)bad for you, so be it!
beleive me the differance is not going to make a pot of beans because the high cost of gas which will make some think twice about applying outta state when the gas for scouting and the hunting trip alone could be thousands!
you should be saying those poor bastages that drive 2-4 thousand miles to get to Utah to hunt!
I am very happy with this news and will e mail them saying "BOUT TIME" thanks for the heads up!
happy draws....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom