Utah Unit, HOPE open soon

As I recall you originally questioned whether the F&G were even aware of the unhunted herd. Correct?
It's good to see some sheep getting a "ride" into their new home.
Hopefully there will be a hunt in that area, in due time.
Zeke

It seems that if the DWR is supplementing a small existing herd, they should get credit for helping it grow. I know division staff were aware of those sheep but had no money to do anything about them. The exciting reality is we now have an expanding Zion herd and a full time sheep biologist to help expand our herds. We should also credit our great neighbors to the west (Nevada) who have been willing to share in their abundance of sheep.
Transplants are extremely expensive and only work about half the time, so here's hoping that this one does.
I'm afraid it will be some time, however before that herd will be big enough to have a hunt.

I first saw these sheep in 2002, and reported it.
I did get the response, "interesting"
I then reported them each year for the last 4 years.
Last year I got the response "we hope to fly it soon"
Looks like they flew it, and now are trying to improve it.
GREAT NEWS!

An interesting note:

From the journal of a Pioneer that crossed this area in 1880

"We saw no way off of this mesa.....I followed a Bighorn off of the mesa, and realized, we had found our way"

Pretty cool! They were lead off Grey Mesa by a Ram.
Those sheep are good for more than eating and hanging on a wall :)

LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-14 AT 12:05PM (MST)[p]^ha! that's awesome! sheeps do make some pretty sweet trails...shoot, sometimes the only way to get to the rams is by the very paths they themselves have engineered through the crags :)

8614896.jpg

97544903.jpg

Anyway, here's to the little herd flourishing!

Cheers

GW,
The sheep trail Mike is referring to looks about like that second picture, only those pioneers carved a path to take their wagons down it! My wife's kin were part of that group. Those were some fearless folks.

I have visited both side of the "Hole in the Rock Trail" both the West and East side of the Colorado.
Both are almost impassable by foot, jeep, or any other means.
It is neat to see the steps carved in the rocks. They used these steps to get the cattle down.
Glad to see we are trying to improve that herd that played such a key role in the settlement of Eastern Utah.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom