UTAH -vs- TCU

B

bbentley392t

How goes it,
I'm sure that other die-hard Utah fans...like myself, are already aware of this...but not only is the upcoming TCU game on Nov. 6th sold out, it also carries with it some special circumstances. I read an article on KSL yesterday concerning the upcoming match-up between the two MWC championship contenders. The university is requesting and encouraging that all fans attending the game...if possible, wear "BLACK" utah apparel...as opposed to the traditional "Red". University staff will also be handing out free "black" rally-towels out to spectators as they enter Rice-Eccles Stadium. The official word on the U's website and on KSL.com, is that this game is being dubbed as "THE BLACKOUT GAME".

A few months ago when KSL was doing a story on Utah's new uniforms from the company "Under-Armor"...They were discussing the new style & look, and also...they hinted at the possibility of a future set of "alternate" black uniforms. It hasn't been officially announced yet, but I would bet money that the Utes will be unveiling their black uniforms for the very first time in the university's history at the upcoming TCU game! Why else would the university be requesting & encouraging all fans to dress in black attire if at all possible?

I think it's going to be quite a ruckus type atmosphere in Rice-Eccles...especially if our boys come runnin' out of that tunnel in all black threads for the first time! And also because both Utah and TCU are playing incredible football right now! With the absolute stomping & humbling that TCU shoved down BYU's throat...and the undefeated Utes climbing the BCS polls, it's going to be one hell of a game!!! I'm just glad that I bought my tickets a couple months ago...at first I was regretting not buying tickets for the BYU game...but after the performances that both Utah & TCU have displayed this season, I'm absolutley stoked for this match-up!

This is "TOP-SECRET" proto-type animation of what the "Black" uniforms should look like!

UtahAllBlack.jpg

STICK-FLICKER...Silent, But Deadly
-Buckhorn Archers (Castle Dale, UT)
-Timpanogos Archers (Orem, UT)
-Hell Hole Archers (Big Piney, WY)

Just hope that it doesn't turn out for you like it did for Georgia in their "Blackout" game. Also, it would be funny if they somehow lost to NM before the big Blackout game.

>Tony, Tony, Tony ..... It's ok.
> The cougs will bounce
>back.
>
>It's always an adventure!!!
>www.awholelottabull.com

Don't bet on it.

They simply aren't as good as predicted this year, the defense has too many weaknesses. Next year should bring a very good team with nearly everyone returning. This is definitely the Utes year, their destiny is solely in their own hands, with their only two tough games left being at home.

Yah man..what happened to their defense? They went from shutting out apponents to their apponents scoring 60 points on them in 2 games. I had to laugh at the local paper. They touted Max Hall throwing 4 TD's but said nothing about the lack of defense. Hall better be able to keep that up if the defense keeps playing the way they are. Those look like the BYU of old....scoring 50 points a game and giving up 30.

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

Yup, and in the old days a 11-1 or 10-2 season was considered a great success, but for some reason the majority of Cougar fans I have talked to (not me, and yes I asked me) seem to think that if they can't make the BCS then its a failure. I'll tell you right now that just a few years ago (the Crowton years) I was praying for 8-4, so I'll take 10-2 any day of the week.

Bbentley-

I am glad to hear the excitment before the game with TCU, but last time I looked at your schedule you have a game before that in Albuquerque. I see the making of a perfect trap game here, look at the past history of the utes coming to NM as a ranked team. I am sure the LOBOS are heavy underdogs, and rightfully so, but I am sure this game will be their bowl game for the year so I anticipate them coming out giving it their all as according to majority out there, they have already lost this game....

Good Luck, but just remember there is a game that has to be played before your "blackout" game.....

Go LOBOS!

Dan

>Bbentley-
>
>I am glad to hear the
>excitment before the game with
>TCU, but last time I
>looked at your schedule you
>have a game before that
>in Albuquerque. I see
>the making of a perfect
>trap game here, look at
>the past history of the
>utes coming to NM as
>a ranked team.
>I am sure the LOBOS
>are heavy underdogs, and rightfully
>so, but I am sure
>this game will be their
>bowl game for the year
>so I anticipate them coming
>out giving it their all
>as according to majority out
>there, they have already lost
>this game....
>
>Good Luck, but just remember there
>is a game that has
>to be played before your
>"blackout" game.....
>
>
>Go LOBOS!
>
>Dan

How goes it Dan,
You wanna talk about the Utes...let's talk! Well...the bototm line is that you are correct, on both accounts...yes there is a game prior to the TCU event, and also yes the Utes haven't had the best of luck against the lobos as a nationally ranked team. Utah's history against New Mexico as a team in the spotlight has been spotty. In 1994, Utah was 8-0 and ranked No. 8 when it lost at New Mexico, (23-21). In 2003, a 6-1 Ute team with wins over California and No. 19 Oregon, had just broken into the national rankings at No. 23 , only to lose to the Lobos (47-35). Then, the No. 14 Utes broke the jinx in 2004 when they improved to 5-0 with a (28-7) win over University of New Mexico in Albuquerque. The difference in this year as opposed to years past is the explosion of talent in this years defense & special teams. Senior Brian Johnson has tied the school record for most wins by a starting Ute QB with 21. Johnson, who is 21-7 as the starter, matched the record set by Alex Smith back in 04'. However the performances of the special teams & defense at opponents like Wyoming, Colorado State, and Michigan...prove that the Utes are a forced to be reckoned with in 08'! Utah's kicker, Louie Sakoda...continues to be the leading scorer in the MWC, and has also been named a mid-season All-American by CBS Sports. As Utah's head coach, Kyle Whittingham is 3-0 coming off bye weeks...just as they will be against New Mexico. Utah's byes have all been at approximately the same time in his four years, falling on Oct. 29, Nov. 4, Nov. 3 and Oct. 25. Wins after the bye weeks came against Wyoming in 2005 (43-13) and 2007 (50-0), and Colorado State in 2006 (35-22). I honestly believe that this Utah team has more depth, talent, and heart...than the group that Urban Myer took to the Fiesta Bowl back in 2005. If the Utes do happen to falter this year against New Mexico, than the MWC's only hope for a BCS Bowl will have to rest in the hands of TCU. As strong as this Utah team is...I seriously doubt that a loss against New Mexico is possible, however if it does happen...you find the crow and I'll eat it! I'll for sure be glued to the TV next Saturday...cheering on my Utes, watching them score another win...and continue to climb in the BCS Rankings and the National Media spotlight!

Go UTAH!

Later,
Brad Bentley

STICK-FLICKER...Silent, But Deadly
-Buckhorn Archers (Castle Dale, UT)
-Timpanogos Archers (Orem, UT)
-Hell Hole Archers (Big Piney, WY)

Fair enough Brad...Like I said before the odds are definately in your favor as I know Utah has a good team this year. My son and I will be at the game on Saturday and even though the odds are not in our favor we still have to BELIEVE and the game still has to be played.

Hoping for a good final home game for us...

Go Lobos!

Dan

Matters not what BYU does between now and the Utah game. It is a rivalry game. Anything can happen in a rivalry game. If I recall the away team has won more games recently than the home team. Utah still has some big games and every game is a trap game when a team is undefeated. Glad to see three solid teams from the MWC and even better to see the MWC versus PAC 10 record this year.

TCU I believe is the toughest team in the MWC. Now , BYU & UT are both monster threats and all three have done so much this year to bring alot of positive attention to our conferance.I feel that the BCS won't look at the three for a bowl game because they have proven many a time it can come down to a beauty contest and though it's crazy , the MWC isn't looked at as such.

As for UNM beating UT, though it will be tough it's possible. A few years ago UNM went up to Mizzou and knocked the snot out of them and then gave TX Tech all they could handle, so UNM can beat UT, but by all means all their ducks better be in a roll, both offence and defence andthe specail teams better be huge on both sides of the ball. It's our last home game so I'm hoping just hoping we can send UT packing back north with a loss.

I will say this , no matter what bowl games any of the Big 3 GET get, who ever team is on the other side won't feel at all comfortable facing the MWC teams as they are very much dangerous....

Congrats Brad to you and the Utes, You definately deserve to move up in the BCS rankings...Make the MWC proud.

Dan

Too bad Boise State as such a weak schedule for the rest of the season.

I would LOVE to see them play UTah in a BCS game, or any game for that matter.

I've become a Broncos fan over the past couple years, but I was born and raised a red-blooded (oh, I guess it's black now) Ute!

I have got to give props to the Utes. I had some serious doubts about them and really thought they would lose tonight! Man, that defense is good this year once again! Congrats Utah, you proved me wrong!

Now, you better be ready for the 22nd! That should be another great rivalry game! I can't wait!

BSU Lisa?? Utah would smoke them!

I dunno Chad, I think it would be a battle just like tonight.

Of course, I would hope that a bowl game has better officiating than tonight, those guys ignored more obvious calls.

Not to mention the 'touchdown'. I cannot believe Whittingham didn't challenge that one!

That being said, the Utes better focus for the entire game next time, rather than the last quarter. The defense just looked off, and I really really think we should fire the offensive coordinator.

Anyone who keeps trying to ram the RB around the corner after being beaten every time, anyone who runs a trick play in the red zone.....I hate the play calls, but I'm no expert to be sure.

How goes it,
I'm sure the game looked pretty intense on TV, but to be there...was incredible! All of the hype and the atmosphere surrounding the game was really exciting...plus the cold 30 degree temps, it was way good! During a normal home game, it looks as though every seat in the stadium is painted red...however, last night everything was pitch-black! As I mentioned in the very first post of this thread, the theme of last nights game was..."The Blackout". Fans were encouraged to wear black clothing & Black Utah apparel if possible...word was spread throughout campus & community by word-of-mouth, on the U's website and on various news programs. The initiative worked...because the only people that I seen who were not wearing black (or painted their bodies black) was the suprisingly large group of TCU fans who were seated all around me in the South West corner.

Those of us who arrived early enough were able to see the Utes on the field practicing before the game...and even though I knew prior to arriving that the team would be revealing black uniforms for the first time...it still caught me off guard to actually see them, rather than just picture them in my head. When game time finally came...and our Utes emerged from the smoke filled tunnel in all black...the 45,666 Utah fans that were on hand went absolutley nuts! Even though the new uniforms and the blacked-out crowd was something completley new & different...it just felt right & natural? It was a great addition to Utah football, and it's an addition that is here to stay!

With all of the national media favoring TCU to win this contest...everyone was extremely anxious to see how this match up would turn out. And to be 100% honest...I was actually very nervous & worried myself. Afterall...TCU had slaughtered BYU just a few weeks earlier, and their only loss had come at the hands of Big 12 powerhouse...Oklahoma. Even though both teams were fighting extremely hard and playing exceptionally well...by the end of the first half the score was only 10-6 in favor of TCU. Mainly due to Utah's amazing surge of defense in the 2nd quarter...Holding TCU to only 6 yards of offense and 3 false-start penalties. I don't think a lot of people anticipated this to be a high scoring contest...but I also have a hrad time believing that people were prepared for such a strong & powerful defensive showing on both ends?

Towards the latter part of the 4th quarter...TCU had a chance to possibly put the game away with a field goal. With a packed house of screaming Utah fans trying their hardest to disrupt the kicker...the ball was snapped, airborne...and then bounced off the goal post! The crowd was absolutley in awe and in pure pandimonium! However...due to Utah's lack of 3rd down conversions in the next drives, TCU would have another opportunity to pad their lead with a field goal. Well aware of his previous mistake...TCU's kicker knew he had to nail this kick in order to save his teams BCS Bowl hopes...and possible MWC title. In order to avoid a repeat of the goal post collision...he over-compensated on this attempt, and kicked wide of the post...missing it by a mile! The TCU offensive also gave up 2 sacks, as well committing 11 penalties...essentially ruining their chances to score.

Right Away Utah Quarterback, Brian Johnson...mounted his troops and marched down the opposite end of the field. A drive that spanned 80 yards, in less than 3 minutes! With the Utah offense now within the red-zone...they knew it was time to score, and put this game on ice. With the entire crowd on it's feet, screaming at the top of their lungs (yes, my throat is sore too!)...they watched on as a pass towards the endzone was broken up and ruled incomplete. I've never heard such a dissapointing sigh from a crowd before...it seemed as though 45,666 fans were silenced instantly! However the next play...Utah made it count. Quaterback Brian Johnson connected on a 9 yard pass to Freddie Brown to score the Utes first and only touchdown of the night! The field goal team, led by "King Louie"...kicker, Louie Sakoda...came in and finished the job with a succesful kick through the center of the uprights! With only 47.9 seconds to play....there was still a chance that TCU could rebound, and return the favor. However an inteception with 5 seconds remaing by Utah's Robert Johnson, sealed the win for the now...10-0 Utes!

Both teams entered the game in contention for a BCS berth, but only one was going to come out of it still alive in the race. Somehow, it was Utah...and the 45,666 fans had Rice-Eccles Stadium shaking after Utah's second big comeback of the year. Now Utah stands a top the MWC pyramid at 10-0 overall, and 6-0 in the conference. Making them the front runners for the MWC Championship...as well as the possibility of another BCS bowl appearance. All in all, it was an amazing night...one that I'm sure Utah fans will never forget! With the teams record, the way the game ended, the Blackout conditions...this game will definetley go down in school history as one of the greatest wins of all time!

Later,
Brad Bentley

Below are a "few" of my photos from last nights event: Section W06 Row #24...Enjoy!

bbentley_UTAHTCU_11-6-08_006.jpg

bbentley_UTAHTCU_11-6-08_001.jpg

bbentley_UTAHTCU_11-6-08_002.jpg

bbentley_UTAHTCU_11-6-08_011.jpg

bbentley_UTAHTCU_11-6-08_012.jpg

bbentley_UTAHTCU_11-6-08_017.jpg

bbentley_UTAHTCU_11-6-08_022.jpg

bbentley_UTAHTCU_11-6-08_027.jpg

bbentley_UTAHTCU_11-6-08_030.jpg

bbentley_UTAHTCU_11-6-08_034.jpg

bbentley_UTAHTCU_11-6-08_036.jpg

bbentley_UTAHTCU_11-6-08_038.jpg